• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Next month is my birthday, and I'll finally be 21! For a while now I've been thinking about getting my first handgun. I've done quite a bit of research, and I think I want to get a HK USP 9mm or P30L. I know they're expensive, but I don't plan on buying as many handguns as rifles, so I would like to get one that's really good and reliable. I also have an airsoft replica of the USP, and I really like the feel, and I'm used it. The gun will be mostly for target shooting, but I also plan on having it for home defense too. I want a 9mm mainly because of the cheap and common ammo since I like to go shooting a lot. Right now I would be happy with either a USP or P30, although from what I've read, I think the P30 might be a little better. Does anyone here have experience with either of these guns? Is there anything else I should consider?

HomerSimpson

Nov 30, 2008
    Get something for which you can get a .22 conversion kit (or get a .22 of similar size and action type to your centerfire gun).

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    go to continental or on target or wherever rents near you and shoot a few different guns to figure out what feels best for you. the xdm's are mighty impressive and hold 20 rounds of 9millymoe. if you're gunna make a $600+ investment you might as well get what you shoot best and what feels most comfortable to you. most all modern polymer frames around 500-800 bucks are all gunna be reliable and all shoot fairly well so get one that fits you.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I had a USP in .40, variant 1. I still wish I didn't trade it. I have not handled the P30, sorry. HK magazines will hurt the wallet. CDNN lists the 9mm USP mags at $39.99, the .40's are about the same price.

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    The best advice you are going to get, have gotten, and should get, is to go to a range that rents handguns, and handle as many as they will let you. See what feels right, what features you like/dislike (Sight types, saftey configurations, DA/SA triggers, revolvers/autoloaders etc etc.) and than fire the ones that are high on your list. Try and fire all the major calibers as well to get a good feel for the differences in recoil.

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    The best advice you are going to get, have gotten, and should get, is to go to a range that rents handguns, and handle as many as they will let you. See what feels right, what features you like/dislike (Sight types, saftey configurations, DA/SA triggers, revolvers/autoloaders etc etc.) and than fire the ones that are high on your list. Try and fire all the major calibers as well to get a good feel for the differences in recoil.

Agreed. When I turned 21 I took the basic pistol course at Continental and went at least once a week to shoot and try out different guns until I came across the one that best fit me and my needs. Ended up with the XD9

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

Good Advise. You may find out that something half the price works 10x better for you. That wouldn't be the first time.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    If you have the funds don't chince on your gun.... I made the mistake of getting a cheaper P226R when I really wanted the the P226 PE
    Now I've spent over $400 trying to make the gun more what I like. (Streamlight TLR-2 & Mec-Gar 20+1 Mag x 3, Sending in for Polished controls next)
    If I would have bought the gun I wanted at first I actually would have saved money....

Have you thought about a gently used gun? Now that I'm a boneafied addict I realize that the Used Handgun market offers you better guns at a cheaper price you just have to be patient for the right gun

GO SIG and never go back!!!

If you get the .40 cal Sig you can always buy the Bar Sto 9mm conversion barrel and change it back and fourth from .40 to 9mm (two guns for one price ok.... plus conversion barrel which is not cheap)

P226-Plat-Elite-detail-L.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom