• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcpuskar

Jul 15, 2013
    Forest Hill, MD
    I would like to purchase a handgun. I own other guns, but nothing that is regulated. I want to get one before Oct 1. Can someone tell me what is my best course of action to get a handgun in my possession before Oct 1? It seems that with the wait times that I have read about, it seems unlikely since almost no one releases the gun to 1st time customers after 8 days.
    What if I bought one off of the classifieds section on this website where someone wants to do a transfer at a MSP barracks and will release after 8 days? What actually happens at the barracks? Does this seems to be a better option in your opinion?

THANKS!

landmarke

Mar 2, 2009
    I would like to purchase a handgun. I own other guns, but nothing that is regulated. I want to get one before Oct 1. Can someone tell me what is my best course of action to get a handgun in my possession before Oct 1? It seems that with the wait times that I have read about, it seems unlikely since almost no one releases the gun to 1st time customers after 8 days.
    What if I bought one off of the classifieds section on this website where someone wants to do a transfer at a MSP barracks and will release after 8 days? What actually happens at the barracks? Does this seems to be a better option in your opinion?

THANKS!

You can buy from any refutable online dealer, just make sure you do the transfer at a dealer who is doing on time 8-day release, they can be found in the spreadsheet in this thread:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=121404

jcpuskar

Jul 15, 2013
    Forest Hill, MD
    That said, I would also contact those local FFL dealers first, as they may have what you want in stock, so you can support local business, and avoid transfer fees.

Yes, I am trying to avoid transfer fees if at all possible. Also, I would rather spend my money in a local business. It just seems this damn state makes this process much more complicated than it need be!

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I was in a shop today and I heard him tell a customer that they stopped doing transfers. Their back room was so filled with guns waiting to be picked up, they did not have room for additional guns coming in. Their for sale stock is stacked up in the display counters.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The OP already identified his biggest issue, this being his first regulated purchse. Most dealers that do some form of early release will have some form of qualification involved . Typical examples previous Regulated purchases , Designated Collector letter from MSP , C&R FFL , Handgun permit , LE related employment , or other criteria of their own devising.

The OP can contact any FFLs that he may have a relationship with from his non-Regulated dealing to see if they would be willing to do an early release. Failing that , a private party sale handled thru MSP may be best move at this late date.

watts

Jun 17, 2013
    moco
    If you're not picky about your handgun, there are plenty in the classifieds. If you're looking for something specific reach out to one of the IP's. There are several that will do an early release.

breimer273

Jul 25, 2013
    SOMD
    Is it truly that you want POSSESSION before oct 1? If you are just worried about it being legal/jumping through less hoops then all you need to worry about is to PURCHASE it before oct 1. If you really do want possession then yes I would call around and find a local deal who is willing to do it. My dealer will release after two weeks if you are a LEO active duty military or have had a background check done in the last year. Sounds like you don't fall under any of those categories though.

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    I was in a shop today and I heard him tell a customer that they stopped doing transfers. Their back room was so filled with guns waiting to be picked up, they did not have room for additional guns coming in. Their for sale stock is stacked up in the display counters.
    That may be true for incoming transfers, but the question in this case would be for outgoing transfers from a dealer to a dealer doing 8 days releases. The eight-day dealers I’ve been dealing with have no such issues because they are releasing…..
    The OP already identified his biggest issue, this being his first regulated purchse. Most dealers that do some form of early release will have some form of qualification involved . Typical examples previous Regulated purchases , Designated Collector letter from MSP , C&R FFL , Handgun permit , LE related employment , or other criteria of their own devising.
    The OP can contact any FFLs that he may have a relationship with from his non-Regulated dealing to see if they would be willing to do an early release. Failing that , a private party sale handled thru MSP may be best move at this late date.
    There are still some FFLs conducting 8 day releases with no pre-existing qualifications if you are qualified to own one to begin with, one has to just check the list to find them and be willing to travel the distance to make it happen. As one FFL told me, if I fill out the paper work and am not suppose to own a regulated firearm, the police will be knocking on my door not his.
    I would seriously contact all FFLs doing 8 day releases with no pre-existing qualifications and either purchase from them, or find a pistol from someone else and get it transferred to them at this point. Again, if you are qualified to own a regulated firearm to begin with. Also if you find a pistol you want somewhere else, remember when you ask the FFL about transfers; make sure you specify outgoing, not incoming.
    Is it truly that you want POSSESSION before oct 1? If you are just worried about it being legal/jumping through less hoops then all you need to worry about is to PURCHASE it before oct 1. If you really do want possession then yes I would call around and find a local deal who is willing to do it. My dealer will release after two weeks if you are a LEO active duty military or have had a background check done in the last year. Sounds like you don't fall under any of those categories though.
    At this point you would do BEST to want POSSESSION before October 1st, check the list and find an FFL who conduct 8 day releases with no pre-existing qualifications if you are qualified to own a regulated firearm to begin with. There are plenty of them and this is not that big of state to take a road trip.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There is a purchase order clause in the statute as regards Evil Rifles , there is not regarding handguns. The situation regarding pre/ post with handguns is ambigious enough that multiple interpetations could be drawn. At this point we have no idea what MSP will formulate , and I doubt they do either.

Publius

Mar 18, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Go to Constitutional Firearms Monday and buy one of their full-size Glocks either in 9mm (G17) or .40 S&W (G22). Eight days later you should have in your possession a world-class firearm and 3 full-capacity magazines.

If this is a self-defense weapon for the home, consider revolvers too, although Constitutional Firearms didn't have a great selection (they have a tremendous selection of pistols, I was there this morning) and I don't have another store to suggest for an 8-day release of a revolver.

Ask what the release policy is before you buy. Some stores are not waiting for the MSP but still they are taking 30 days to release to you.

Gunbroker certainly adds complexity to the transaction. I know it's not rocket science but it's great to keep it simple if you can.

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    There is a purchase order clause in the statute as regards Evil Rifles , there is not regarding handguns. The situation regarding pre/ post with handguns is ambigious enough that multiple interpetations could be drawn. At this point we have no idea what MSP will formulate , and I doubt they do either.

That is why I always never depend on the Government to determine my fate, they always have a 50/50 chance of screwing it up and more often than not they do. I'm a firm believer of determining my own fate as best I can. I believe in personal responsibility and if my bet was riding on the table, I would make sure I have my pistol in my possession before 10/1. Ymmv

Besides, if I'm wrong about what I think is coming, one would still have their pistol now versus later. Sounds like a win-win to me. :)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Buy an AR lower. No handguns were banned. You can get them any time. You need an AR. you won't be able to get one after Oct 1.

truknbear

Right to arm Bears
    Feb 21, 2013
    HarCo
    Buy an AR lower. No handguns were banned. You can get them any time. You need an AR. you won't be able to get one after Oct 1.

Except the evil ones with the high capacity magazines. Really miss your avatar with the long locks ~ LOL:lol:

Feb 28, 2013
    Go to Constitutional Firearms Monday and buy one of their full-size Glocks either in 9mm (G17) or .40 S&W (G22).

Yep. Just recommended them to a first time buyer today. Normally I would anytime, but especially that the doomsday clock is winding down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom