• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zack_5

Dec 22, 2012
    College Park
    Hello all. This is my first post so I apologize if this is in the wrong place or anything, but I have searched on this topic and didn't find anything so I was hoping that some of you could help me out. I recently turned 21 and am looking to buy myself a handgun. Due to being a college student I have been leaning towards going with purchasing a used handgun.

In looking at a used handgun, is there anything in particular that I should look for with regards to the condition of the gun? Also, does anyone here have experience with purchasing law enforcement trade-ins that would mind sharing their experiences with their handgun? I wasn't sure if they were typically known to be in good condition or not. If anyone has any suggestions for me in addition to my questions here, they would be appreciated. Thanks

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I buy lots of LEO Trade in!!! they are carried much and shot little. so the wear you find is mostly aesthetic and not internal from use. there are alot of used Glocks and Beretta on the market...go for it!!

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Buy from a reputable gun shop. They will be able to inspect any used pistol to make sure it's safe to operate.

More important than that--Get Some Training. This is the absolute best thing you can do. You will learn safety and many other things that can save your life when faced with a bad guy--or faced with your own complacency. I mention complacency because that kills people as fast as a bad guy will. Training will make you a better shooter, a safer shooter, and a more responsible gun owner.

Shoot safely and have fun.

Lou at Shooter's Discount, one of this site's Industry Partners, regularly has a selection of LE trade-ins. I'm waiting on the paperwork on one of his dandy SIG p220s; he had some more of these and some p226s, plus other brands. Hard to beat his prices.

But for a first handgun, I and probably others here would recommend a .22. Initial cost is usually low, ammo is cheap, and you can practice, practice, practice, which is the best approach for a new handgunner. Any of our IPs could set you up with a Ruger Mark III, Browning Buckmark, or others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom