• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    An M1 Garand followed me home from the Easton show today.

It's not historical in any way since it's built on a new Springfield Armory receiver and a .308 bbl, but it does have nice wood, a low round count and just happens to be my first rifle in .30 caliber. :D

Now I just need to wait for a good day to get down to DSC and test it out. Not great timing though, with deer firearm season just a couple weeks out and the lanes likely to be full of people sighting in.

Attachments

• Garand1.jpg
      Garand1.jpg
      21.1 KB · Views: 304

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So it is a Garand chambered in .308?

Looks like a nice gun. I've never seen one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Welcome to the world of 30-06, a REAL cartridge to go with a REAL gun! :thumbsup: :) The Ruskies and Brits just don't compare with their trashy junk. ;)

It's nice, but you should look into the CMP while they're still out there and get the real deal. Many of us here have them and they are by far the best Garand deal out there. CMP guns have and will only continue to rise in value. Makes a great investment shooter.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/rifles.htm

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    It sure is a purdy rifle. Now you need a CMP Garand in 30-06 AND it's baby sister (M1 carbine) to keep it company. Garands get lonely.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    It sure is a purdy rifle. Now you need a CMP Garand in 30-06 AND it's baby sister (M1 carbine) to keep it company. Garands get lonely.

I agree, but that will have to wait a while unless some previously unknown rich aunt/uncle dies and remembers me in their will.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I agree, but that will have to wait a while unless some previously unknown rich aunt/uncle dies and remembers me in their will.

I'd bet you paid more for that one than a CMP gun would cost. My CMP Winchester M1 Garand was $695. And that wasn't 10 years ago, it was last month.

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    I've seen 308 Garands before. I have a .30-06 Garand I got from the CMP. I got the CMP Special for $995 this summer. It's got a new barrel, stock, and the internals are checked for wear and everything's refinished. I went this way as a way of buying a brand new vintage rifle. With the .308 do you have to use specific ammo?

.303 is an amazing cartridge. It's better than 7.62x54R.:innocent0

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    I'd bet you paid more for that one than a CMP gun would cost. My CMP Winchester M1 Garand was $695. And that wasn't 10 years ago, it was last month.

Absolutely, and I had a pretty good idea jump how much more before I entered into the deal. I still may get one through CMP, but this gets me shooting sooner one sooner and affords me the luxury of being able to wait a but when I do eventually place an order. Instant gratification comes at a price!

Matters not, what DOES matter is does he like it and I would venture to say he does.

Well said. Actually I just did some research and found the receiver dates to June 1945, which is an added bonus.

I've seen 308 Garands before. I have a .30-06 Garand I got from the CMP. I got the CMP Special for $995 this summer. It's got a new barrel, stock, and the internals are checked for wear and everything's refinished. I went this way as a way of buying a brand new vintage rifle. With the .308 do you have to use specific ammo?

Well that's an interesting question, and one that I will need to answer fairly soon. The gas plug has crossed slots in the front which I think makes it a Schuster, which in turn means it should be adjustable. Comments on my interpretation most welcome...

Edit: I paid $950, which sounds pretty comparable to the CMP special albeit in .308 rather than '06.

Edit2: Actually the gas plug is a non-adjustable "poppet" style which appear to be used for grenade launchers. Guess I better order an adjustable one.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I think you will find .308 a bit easier to find and less expensive than .30-06. I have a few rifles and the M1 is possibly my favorite rifle. Real steel and walnut.
    CMP is the best deal but you don't get to see the rifle you purchase unless you make the trek to one of the stores. My son and I made that journey several years ago. When we arriver the store was packed and all the rifles had that picked over look. A friendly employee "found" a nice SA for me. I've bought a few through the mail and all were nice. Haven't bought one lately, not since they started using the commerical wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom