• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • carpentermatt

Feb 9, 2009
    followup question. what is a patch? just any random cloth? or is this something specific?

and im pretty mechanically inclined, but i cant seem to figure out how to remove the bolt lol. there like no little tabs that i can see to release it.

To remove the bolt you have to have the trigger held back.

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Ah. That worked, thanks!

took the savage to the range tonight :) put about 50-100 rounds through it (wasnt really counting). got the scope zeroed in pretty well for 25yd so far. i went with awptickes who also brought his .22lr marlin, and he gave me some good tips for breathing and whatnot, thanks man! :thumbsup:. found out my ammo isnt that great haha, no big deal though, the box of like 500 was less than 20 bucks...

heres the difference between my ammo and the stuff awptickes brought. both through my gun, shot by me. (i had tighter groups tonight with his ammo than this btw). im still new, so SOME of this im sure is my fault lol. i think ill burn through what i have then switch to the better stuff.

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    i also have a question about the scope. i kind of assumed the target and crosshair would be in focus at the same time. but when i was shooting the target was nice and sharp (with the left eye) but the crosshairs were pretty blurry. i could kind of see a vague point where it crossed, but it wasnt really sharp at all. is that normal?

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    You are too close to the target. Try going to an outdoor range and shooting at 100 yards. If you are stuck indoors at 25 yards, try turning down the magnification on your scope to the minimum setting.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    You can see it just fine. It just wont look as big.

Also, the club I am a member of is having a 100 yard rimfire rifle shoot this Saturday morning at the AGC. I will be there with my Savage Mark 2. You should come out and take part. I promise you will learn quite a bit.

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Figured out how to adjust the focus. Had to loosen the whole eye piece and adjust it then re tighten the lock ring. Is it that bad on most scopes? Or do some just have a knob/ring you can turn without loosening the whole eyepiece? I guess Ill have to re zero this now too.

After adjusting the focus everything looks a lot better. Looking with my right eye and at 3x mag, the target is fairly clear and the crosshairs are only slightly out of focus. I'll have to play with it some more to see if I can get it better. At least I won't have to lean over and use my left eye anymore lol

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I'll play with it some more tonight but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the crosshairs any more in focus for my right eye. Not without making the target incredibly blurry at least. I don't want that.

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    went to free state again last night. put about 150 rounds through it. i cant seem to get much better 5rd groupings than .75-1.0" @ 25yd, occasionally ill be able to make a 1/4" 4 round hole + 1 off . this is benchrested (shouldered with the front end of the stock resting on a bag), trying to practice breathing, either holding breath or letting it all out, about the same, also set the scope to 5xmag. im using bulk remmington ammo (gold?), but i used CCI mini-mags too with similar results, maybe only slightly better. i just cant seem to keep the gun steady enough, or is the ammo really that bad?

anyone help me what im doing wrong?

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    i also think i want to get a bipod and better scope, but i know nothing of these things lol, suggestions on a good scope for 25-100yd shooting and a good bipod?

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    reading the reviews of that bipod, it seems a lot of people are comparing it to a better quality (and probably higher priced) Harris brand bipod. im only a little hesitant to go with this over the harris cause most of the negative reviews seem to be aimed at the stud mount, which is what i would be using.

would you suggest upgrading the scope rings? that seems to be a common thing but i dont know what that would help. if it doesnt matter i wont bother lol.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    reading the reviews of that bipod, it seems a lot of people are comparing it to a better quality (and probably higher priced) Harris brand bipod. im only a little hesitant to go with this over the harris cause most of the negative reviews seem to be aimed at the stud mount, which is what i would be using.

would you suggest upgrading the scope rings? that seems to be a common thing but i dont know what that would help. if it doesnt matter i wont bother lol.

Don't dry fire a rimfire gun, and I just got some Caldwell bipods from Midway for $35 each. They work quite well. And try some target/match ammo if you want better groups. Walmart is carrying Federal match ammo, 350 rounds for $25.

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    ill have to look for that ammo at my walmart or maybe a different one. i didnt see any federal match .22lr last time i was there. i keep reading about wolf match too, but i have no idea where to get it from.

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    so im going to pick up the scope linked from above, but i have a question about rings. is there any reason upgrade the rings? what do i gain if the scope seems fine with what i have? and i see many people go to a pica rail then pica rings, again what is the reason or advantage for this?

would these be good if you recommend upgrading at all? http://www.amazon.com/AccuShot-Prem...-Inch/dp/B001WJ4TKK/ref=pd_luc_sim_02_02_t_lh

and i went back to freestate last night with the new ammo, this was my best group (not normally this tight btw)

IMG_1003.JPG

also went with Ganegrei to AGC and had a good time. i was hitting golf balls and 1" sized targets (not everytime) from 100yd. not bad at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom