• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    I would be looking at the rifle and scope if it were me. On your worst day you should be able to keep it in the red.

Bedded or not?

Action screw torque?

Floating or not?

What brand of scope and rings?

Is the barrel nut tight? 35 ft# or so.

Adjust trigger, the accutrigger should be well above average, not "really rough". If you are uncomfortable doing it, there are so many familiar with the trigger system you will have no trouble getting help. I am kind of concerned by the "really rough" comment, it should feel good out of the box and get better with adjustment.

I'm going to guess 7mm rem mag?

You should get better groups with any random ammo.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Here is a freebie target that I use for load development and general 100 yard shooting. Its in PDF format (you'll need adobe acrobat, to read & print it).

The center circle, is white, which makes seeing your POI a little easier @ 100 yards through optics. Its in a grid format, and has marks to line up your crosshairs if your using a scope.

Its attached below to this post. You can save it to your PC for later & offline use, by right clicking and select "Save As" to your destination of choice on your PC.

Shaddydan: NOW you've got yourself a target! Deep Creek Rock is all over it. Print yourself a few of these, and see if your groups don't tighten up. Best guess is they will. Also, if you're aware enough of that recoil that you're actually thinking that you're flinching, then there's a better than good chance you are. No shame in buying yourself a good recoil shield. Takes alot of the teeth out of that dog. Shooting is supposed to be fun, and not like loving to hit your thumb with the hammer....... because it feels so good when you STOP! Good luck !

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Thanks for the target Deep Creek! There is no accu trigger. I have others that are and they are sweet but not this one. Rifle is a low end package deal that I bought from another member a year or so ago. Scope has been replaced as have the rings. I really shouldn't have bought this rifle but...live and learn. My buddy has a similar rifle in 300 win mag and his rifle is very particular with loads it uses. All over the place vs. sub moa. So, I haven't lost complete faith in the rifle. I think my biggest issue is the recoil with a long trigger that is kinda crunchy. I will have to work on some more loads before I finally condemn it. Or...I could buy a nice timney trigger.....

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Let's see if this works -

Trying to attach a .pdf of a target that I use for dialing in a rifle/load.

The outer diamond is 2-1/2", the middle diamond is 1-1/2" and the inner diamond is 1/2".
    The gridlines are 1/2" apart.
    I can do 1/4" gridlines if anyone wants/needs them. (Can also make the lines gray and/or thinner, or any other color.)

This one is made/sized for 8-1/2 x 11".
    You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader (or equiv.) to open/use.

Hope you like it.

Also, here's a .jpg:

Attachments

• half inch grid v2.pdf
      3.4 KB · Views: 81
    Last edited:

dj_in_md

Aug 28, 2008
    Almost WV
    Looking at the target, I think it's pretty good not knowing everything about the rifle and shooting stance. I'm guessing at the target size but I see a side to side spread of approximately 2.5 inches and vertical shift of 1.5 inches. If the rifle has a s**tty trigger or shooter is flinching from recoil I would expect to see this. I also agree with using a better sight in target and have someone else shoot the same load to see if it duplicates itself.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    So, I got back out to the range today with some different loads. 58.5, 59, 59.5, and 60 grains. My best group was 1.5"@100 yards with the 59.5 grain load. Thanks to deep creek rock for the target PDF. It really helped me a lot! Also, I made sure to use 2 bags (one in the rear) to anchor the rifle better.

Attachments

• IMAG0242-picsay.jpg
      IMAG0242-picsay.jpg
      47.5 KB · Views: 130
    It is a magnum and I get about 3 shots, then it is take a brake time. 59 is the starting load and 62.5 is max according to lee. It was just really cool shooting my own cartridges!
    I use the Optimal Charge Weight Method. I've attached a spreadsheet you can use.

Use the spreadsheet and load three sighters. In your case 56.3, 57.5, and 58.8 grains. Then three each at 59.3, 59.9, 60.5, 61.1, 61.7, 62.3. Setup 7 targets, preferably horizontally in a row. Mark them with the load.

Shoot your sighters into the leftmost target and make whatever scope adjustments you need to get near the center. Actually, about two inches high is best so you do not shoot out your aiming point.

Now, take one shot from each load at it's respective target. Take a second shot from each, finally a third. Your optimal load should be where the POI stops shifting. You can then bracket your best load with loads lower and higher in smaller increments to "zero in" on the best load. So, if 60.5 is your best load during round one, try 60.1, 60.3, 60.5, 60.8, and 61.1 during round two.

Don't let your barrel get too hot. Take your time. Try to iron out all the variables. Get a Lead Sled or similar to hold the gun steady and absorb the recoil.

Once you get your best load, zero in the scope with a cold barrel. Then you can experiment with seating depth, neck sizing, etc. That's where the fun really begins!

Attachments

• OCW Worksheet 1.2.xls
      144 KB · Views: 66
    I've attached the target that I use. The blank box in the upper right hand corner is for numbering your load. Eg., S (sighter), 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. Or, you can write in the charge weight.

It's 8x10, so have Adobe center the target when printing.

I used to have access to a plotter, so I printed these in large sheets and cut them in strips of 10 targets.

Attachments

• Load Development 8x10.pdf
      163.8 KB · Views: 71

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Now I'm under an inch at 100 yards. This is really getting fun!

Attachments

• IMAG0257.jpg
      IMAG0257.jpg
      49.6 KB · Views: 91

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Nice,
    Big change from your first post.
    How are factory loads grouping?
    Have you had a chance to shoot factory loads again w/ the target to see if its your loads or your shooting that's improving?

I have only been doing reloading for 2 weeks and I find that alternating factory loads with my loads helps me see how I"m shooting that day cause I don't shoot the same every day.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Sierra match king bthp, 59.7 grains IMR4831, federal large magnum primer. I'm gonna try 59.8 grains next and then start tweeking OAL. I have about a .02 jump right now. Also, I'm ordering a rifle basis trigger next week. Thanks a ton guys for all the advice and help! Ya'll rock:party29:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom