• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Varget and 168 grain Hornady A-Max.

These are for my son and it's not easy getting accuracy feedback from him because he just shoots at "things" offhand. So I want to try and load them up to a so called standard round that the Garand likes.

I have come across quite a few posts on other forums that states 46 grains of Varget is the equivalent of the military M1 ball round. A few posters actually called Hornady and were told that they load 46.5 grains of Varget in the ammo they sell for the Garand although I see a discrepancy in the velocity between the reloading handbook and the specs for their factory ammo. The max load in the Hornady books for the Garand is 47 grains BTW.

Just running this info by you good folks and if it looks reasonable I'm thinking of going with 46 grains. He only wants 28 rounds so instead of setting up the powder measure on the progressive, I get to use my new Chargemaster 1500. :bannana: :D

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    If he wants 28, give him 28. BUT, 8 round en-bloc clips don't go into 28?
    Or does he only have 28 empties?

He's OCD just like his dad. I rechecked the message and it's 29. He did mention the 8 round clips but I think he also wants to fill up the empty holes in the 20 round ammo box. :D

I have had most of his empties since spring, about 80 Hornady and PPU. They are resized and clean so just need to finish up 29 of them. :tap:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    He's OCD just like his dad. I rechecked the message and it's 29. He did mention the 8 round clips but I think he also wants to fill up the empty holes in the 20 round ammo box. :D

I have had most of his empties since spring, about 80 Hornady and PPU. They are resized and clean so just need to finish up 29 of them. :tap:

So...fill the box and one clip...and...one more...too keep in a shirt pocket just in case? :shrug:

29 seems even more weird than 28? :innocent0 But, I'm not here to criticize. Just hoping more recipe suggestions turn up.:D

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I have used 48.6 to 49.6 grains of IMR 4064 with a CCI 200 primer without any problems with 147/150 grain bullets in my M1.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    So...fill the box and one clip...and...one more...too keep in a shirt pocket just in case? :shrug:

29 seems even more weird than 28? :innocent0 But, I'm not here to criticize. Just hoping more recipe suggestions turn up.:D

From what I gather, he has 2 boxes (20ea) of ammo. One is empty and one contains 11 rounds. From the amount of empties I'm guessing he has bought 100 rounds since he got the rifle. I have 1 Hornady and 1 PPU that I keep as a reference. He had a fired but stuck case issue from a rusted chamber which may account for being 2 rounds off. The fired round and one test round after cleaning? I would make a good detective. :rolleyes:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Go to CMP site, meet requirements, order a can of loose HXP.

Then he has 200 rounds.

:D

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Unless he's going to the national matches, take it down to 42 or 43 grains. You'll lose maybe 200 fps, but take it easy on the old girl. There's no need to have it run as hot as military loads and it'll shoot great. But for full-up loads, here's some info to consider. http://web.archive.org/web/20000620055732/home.att.net/~Masterpo/M1load.htm

Yeah, just occasional plinking. I do like reduced loads especially in this rifle so I'll go with the 42.5 load for 2400fps. I was concerned about feeding issues but he does have an adjustable gas plug. It's crazy how hard on brass these rifles are. Most of them were stretched in the .030 range with the worst measuring .045.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Unless he's going to the national matches, take it down to 42 or 43 grains. You'll lose maybe 200 fps, but take it easy on the old girl. There's no need to have it run as hot as military loads and it'll shoot great. But for full-up loads, here's some info to consider. http://web.archive.org/web/20000620055732/home.att.net/~Masterpo/M1load.htm

I ended up loading 44 grains. I checked back with my son and his gas plug isn't adjustable but I believe a higher volume to lower the initial pressure spike. If these shoot OK we will work the charge down further on future reloads.

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    My Garand load is:
    Hornady 165 SST
    Varget 42.5 grains
    Winchester Large Rifle
    COL: 3.21

It functions perfectly in my Garand so no need to increase powder. I can't speak to accuracy yet, but they all hit the target. Next range session will work out the accuracy, but for now I know I have a safe, functioning load.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    My Garand load is:
    Hornady 165 SST
    Varget 42.5 grains
    Winchester Large Rifle
    COL: 3.21

It functions perfectly in my Garand so no need to increase powder. I can't speak to accuracy yet, but they all hit the target. Next range session will work out the accuracy, but for now I know I have a safe, functioning load.

Thank you for the information. I was going to use 42.5 but chickened out at the last moment. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom