• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Going to take advantage of the late December early January ML season this year, picked up a CVA Wolf in SS/ Synthetic over the weekend with the deals going on out there. Also grabbed some IMR White Hots powder pellets, Powerbelt 270gr bullets, and 209 Magnum primers to round out the loading.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I love the late muzzleloader season! Definitely get some anti-seize for the breech plug. The debate on whether bore butter does anything in today's guns goes on and on. I don't think it hurts anything, but at the same time, I don't think it helps either...just my own opinion.

Once you shoot through your current supplies try some loose powder (Blackhorn 209) and some other bullets. Loose powder is cheaper in the long run, is more consistent, and lets you tune the load. I personally did like the performance with PowerBelts, compared to bullets by Barnes and Hornady, but again that's just my experience.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I suggest you pick up some Bore Butter and anti-seize. You'll thank me later.

^^^This!!!!!!

I've been using Pyrodex Pellets and "Shockwave" 250 grain boolits, along with CCI 209 primers in Remington 700ML, TC Triumph and TC Omega, with very good accuracy.

I've got an old TC Treehawk that I got a while back (used, of course) and need to work up a load with Pyrodex RS and Lyman 'Plains Boolits'.
    (I need to find a peep sight for this old BP rifle and a fiber optic front sight. My eyes ain't what they used to be!)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I love the late muzzleloader season! Definitely get some anti-seize for the breech plug. The debate on whether bore butter does anything in today's guns goes on and on. I don't think it hurts anything, but at the same time, I don't think it helps either...just my own opinion.

Once you shoot through your current supplies try some loose powder (Blackhorn 209) and some other bullets. Loose powder is cheaper in the long run, is more consistent, and lets you tune the load. I personally did like the performance with PowerBelts, compared to bullets by Barnes and Hornady, but again that's just my experience.

I have a CVA as does the OP. I've put about 30 rounds through, and it's getting harder to insert the saboted bullets in now. I believe (from what the five other muzzle loader shooters at the range said) that Bore Butter helps with that.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I also like the loose powder. My only complaint with blackhorn is that it is difficult to ignite, even with real (not made for blackpowder) magnum shotgun 209 primers. I've had several "flash in the pan" and hang fire events. I'm sticking with it though as it gives good performance. I was able to tune my load to exactly match my BDC reticle. This allows for confident shots out to at least 200 yards.
    This week I just had a barnes bullet plow through two feet of deer (angled shot) and make an exit hole, including two ribs. I never recovered a bullet so I don't know how they are expanding.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

It helps when you load the bullet if nothing else...:D

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I got the CVA wolf SS/camo at BP on sale the other week. First day, I ran 2 White Hots and Winchester primers. Traditions Smackdown SST sabots from the Sight in pack. First 3 were the all lead ones, then the smackdowns. Once I got the scope set, it was shooting 3 holes touching each other at 50yds. I have yet to try the power belts that came with the starter pack. I got the CVA starter pack from Amazon for about $50.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00162MLDA/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got the pre-saturated cleaning patches too. With the Sabots, I was runing a cleaning patch both sites, followed by 2 dry patches both sides. This holds the groups tight. When I did not clean between shots, It would hit an inch or so lower.

This is my first ML rifle so I'm still learning. But so far so good with this one.
    I got some BH 209 but have yet to find primers. Also I need a different breech plug for my Wolf to use it anyway, thus the White Hots.
    Gonna take it out hopefully in a day or so to check zero is being maintained then try the power belts. Not much time for changes before I go out in the field with my Brother-in-law

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Loose powder is a good thing to try - it allows you to fine tune your loading, to your projectile. You get far more loadings out of a 1lb can then a pack of pellets.

Ive used Pyrodex RS for years, as my Rem 700 inline groups great with it, killed every deer ive shot with it, but also for the availabilty of it. Up in my area, even Gas Stations stock Pyrodex.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I had enough time to try both the SmackdownSST Sabots (250grn) and Powerbelts (295grn) with White Hots. I needed to get something zeroed.
    I had zerod last week with smackdown SST & 100grn white hots at 50 yds and shot 2 (center of black target). Last week, I had 3 shots touching holes at 50. Scope was left the way it was from last week where shots were about 1/2" left at 50 yards. This week, I just shot 2 of them and still touching holes. Then 2 power belts and they were spread more apart at 50 and still a tad left.
    Then went to 100 without making any scope adjustments. I alternated Power belts and Smackdowns until I had 3 of each and here are my results.
    Big grouping on the Power belts.
    Power belts are full 50 cal diameter and a hollow point, while the smackdowns are sabots with a plastic tip and .45 cal diameter. Smackdowns are tighter groups and shoots flatter but lighter.

Attachments

• SmakdownSSTvsPowerbelt50yds.JPG
      SmakdownSSTvsPowerbelt50yds.JPG
      29.4 KB · Views: 353
    • SmakdownSSTvsPowerbelt100yds.JPG
      SmakdownSSTvsPowerbelt100yds.JPG
      31.8 KB · Views: 352

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    If you're still looking for primers, Bass Pro has winchester 209 shotshell primers (if you're shooting blackhorn, use shotshell and not muzzleloading primers....they're a bit hotter and ignite it more reliably).

I've solved my ignition issues by switching to straight shotshell primers, but am still having issues with multiple-shot repeatability.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I had enough time to try both the SmackdownSST Sabots (250grn) and Powerbelts (295grn) with White Hots. I needed to get something zeroed.
    I had zerod last week with smackdown SST & 100grn white hots at 50 yds and shot 2 (center of black target). Last week, I had 3 shots touching holes at 50. Scope was left the way it was from last week where shots were about 1/2" left at 50 yards. This week, I just shot 2 of them and still touching holes. Then 2 power belts and they were spread more apart at 50 and still a tad left.
    Then went to 100 without making any scope adjustments. I alternated Power belts and Smackdowns until I had 3 of each and here are my results.
    Big grouping on the Power belts.
    Power belts are full 50 cal diameter and a hollow point, while the smackdowns are sabots with a plastic tip and .45 cal diameter. Smackdowns are tighter groups and shoots flatter but lighter.
    I couldn't get the power belts to group out of my TC omega for chit. I switched to the hornady 250 and what a difference, touching bullets at 100yrds.

I've shot plenty of deer with the SSTs and they don't seem to flop them for some reason? Generally run 40yards or so before the expire. I MIGHT try the XTP bullet if it stops them better.

Last edited:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I shot my biggest buck yet with Hornady xtp bullet...dropped dead in its tracks...shot a different buck and it dropped in its tracks and rolled down a small hill

hornpic6727.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Question:
    I took the CVA out today and the first shot was about 2" high.
    Since taking it out the last time, I did a full cleaning, Cleaned the breech plug, Cleaned the barrel with a brush.

2nd and 3rd shots were 1/2-1" high, then all after that was within 1/2" of my POA.
    Even when I sat the ML off on the rack for 30 minutes. I'm using 1 cleaning patch and 2 dry patches between rounds and White Hots. I saw zero difference between the Thompson Center 250grn Sabots and the Traditions ones which look to be the same thing anyway. I swapped Breech plugs after about 8 rounds and the next rounds came still within 1/2" of POA. So I know its not a dirty breech plug.

When you folks take these out hunting, do you leave them the way it was last time you shot it or full clean? Seems I should just clean the breech plug and leave the barrel the way it is and not full clean before hunting with it.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Google "clean cold bore shot".

Know where your ccb shot poi is as opposed to poa and you shouldn't have any problems. If you do, blaming the gun ain't gonna get you satisfaction.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    I've got a CVA optima pro that I shot for years. IMO power belts are terrible to load and self destruct on impact. I've been using 100 grains of pyro in two pellets for years now with the Thompson 200gr whatever's they sell at Walmart. I can shoot about a 2" group at 100 yards with that combo, repeatable. Once you cut your chops, follow me to the dark side. I currently am shooting a 50 cal Flintlock. Pa long rifle, 90g FFF and a .495 patched ball. Resting it will do 2 inches at 50. Good enough in my woods.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Ok
    I had it out Sat and made an adjustment after a CCB shot
    Let it sit 2hrs and it was 1/2 from POA
    Monday had it out and shot it once and 1/2" from POA
    I think I'm good now
    My trip tomorrow is cancelled though:(

I guess I'll have to wait till Jan 10th

Btw I already am interested in patch and ball if you saw my thread on the Lyman's Great Plains

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    The problem with Powerbelts is that they're so expensive. I shoot regular sabots just because I can afford to shoot them at the range rather than just at deer. Practice and knowing the gun is more important to me than the minor benefits of the more expensive bullets because it helps with being able to put the bullet where I want it.

I have the CVA Wolf too (blued/camo). It's a great gun, nice and light, extremely accurate with a decent trigger. It's probably has the best price/performance of any muzzleloader on the market.

quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    I've got a CVA optima pro that I shot for years. IMO power belts are terrible to load and self destruct on impact. I've been using 100 grains of pyro in two pellets for years now with the Thompson 200gr whatever's they sell at Walmart. I can shoot about a 2" group at 100 yards with that combo, repeatable. Once you cut your chops, follow me to the dark side. I currently am shooting a 50 cal Flintlock. Pa long rifle, 90g FFF and a .495 patched ball. Resting it will do 2 inches at 50. Good enough in my woods.

I have an old T/C Black Diamond with the same load...100 grains of pyrodex topped with a 200 grain shockwave sabot. It shoots about 1.5" at 100 yds...more than accurate enough for where I hunt. It's taken a lot of deer over the past 12 years, all clean kills.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Question:
    I took the CVA out today and the first shot was about 2" high.
    Since taking it out the last time, I did a full cleaning, Cleaned the breech plug, Cleaned the barrel with a brush.

2nd and 3rd shots were 1/2-1" high, then all after that was within 1/2" of my POA.
    Even when I sat the ML off on the rack for 30 minutes. I'm using 1 cleaning patch and 2 dry patches between rounds and White Hots. I saw zero difference between the Thompson Center 250grn Sabots and the Traditions ones which look to be the same thing anyway. I swapped Breech plugs after about 8 rounds and the next rounds came still within 1/2" of POA. So I know its not a dirty breech plug.

When you folks take these out hunting, do you leave them the way it was last time you shot it or full clean? Seems I should just clean the breech plug and leave the barrel the way it is and not full clean before hunting with it.

Ok
    I had it out Sat and made an adjustment after a CCB shot
    Let it sit 2hrs and it was 1/2 from POA
    Monday had it out and shot it once and 1/2" from POA
    I think I'm good now
    My trip tomorrow is cancelled though:(

I guess I'll have to wait till Jan 10th

Btw I already am interested in patch and ball if you saw my thread on the Lyman's Great Plains

I've found on the TC Triumph, if I run a dry patch down the barrel before shooting (starting with a clean barrel with Bore Butter in it), then fire just a primer/cap...... then load, I get POA/POI on the first shot.

Don't know why - I've just always done it that way. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom