• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    When you folks take these out hunting, do you leave them the way it was last time you shot it or full clean? Seems I should just clean the breech plug and leave the barrel the way it is and not full clean before hunting with it.

I do a full clean each time I fire it within 24 hours. The corrosion will kill the gun. If the gun is acting up I'd just shoot it enough to know where it'll hit depending on how dirty it is. That said I haven't encountered huge changes in POI.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Loose powder is a good thing to try - it allows you to fine tune your loading, to your projectile. You get far more loadings out of a 1lb can then a pack of pellets.

Ive used Pyrodex RS for years, as my Rem 700 inline groups great with it, killed every deer ive shot with it, but also for the availabilty of it. Up in my area, even Gas Stations stock Pyrodex.

I watched a video of a guy loading a muzzleloader with powder. He puts the primer in after he poured the powder in and put the bullet in the barrel. Wouldn't some of the powder leak out through the breech hole if you did that?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Powder grains are bigger than the primer hole. You put the primer on last.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I watched a video of a guy loading a muzzleloader with powder. He puts the primer in after he poured the powder in and put the bullet in the barrel. Wouldn't some of the powder leak out through the breech hole if you did that?

Its also a safety thing. You want more than 1 (or 2) mistakes needed to cause it to go boom in your face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom