• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twist

Feb 17, 2023
    Annapolis
    I'm looking for recommendations for mounting optics on my fixed handle AR-15 that will be used for 100 yd high power rifle matches. RD or scope? Something that doesn't significantly increase the height above the bore. I'm somewhat budget minded though generally tend toward the cry once kind of purchase.

I'd appreciated the thoughts on this from the collective wisdom here.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    CMP/NRA rules require the centerline of the optic to be no more than 3.5” above the centerline of the bore. I guess your choices are red dot or long eye relief scope on a goose neck mount. The cheap surplus ones only have one rail slot because they’re meant for Aimpoints, so putting a LER scope on there could be problematic.

Flat top uppers are like $60 when on sale. A2 uppers are $200-300+ right now because retro or retro inspired builds are the current fad and there must not have been a run in a while. You will save money by replacing the upper and selling the A2. That difference should cover a decent long cantilever high power mount.

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA
    BROWNELLS
    RETRO 4X CARRY HANDLE SCOPE

l_080001373_11.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    CMP/NRA rules require the centerline of the optic to be no more than 3.5” above the centerline of the bore. I guess your choices are red dot or long eye relief scope on a goose neck mount. The cheap surplus ones only have one rail slot because they’re meant for Aimpoints, so putting a LER scope on there could be problematic.

Flat top uppers are like $60 when on sale. A2 uppers are $200-300+ right now because retro or retro inspired builds are the current fad and there must not have been a run in a while. You will save money by replacing the upper and selling the A2. That difference should cover a decent long cantilever high power mount.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I saw that. It costs more than an A4 upper on sale and still has fewer slots than an A4 upper though. I see $60 for an Anderson and $76.49 for an Aero at PA before any discounts. BCM had blems a few weeks ago for $60.
    I picked it more as subject matter. There are surely cheaper versions of these. The idea is not a new one. They've been around for many years. OP has got to do his own shopping around. :)

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I think sometimes I can shoot better at 100 yd without a scope than with one target shooting.
    I had a AR with a scope and took it off but the good thing is its not hard to re-zero and ammo is cheap.
    I bought one of those elevation dials with the come ups from white oak I think it was and then drilled the base for an extra detent ball and spring to tighten things up a little. And, a nicely squared tapered front sight post.
    Past 300 I'm done though, especially in poor light.
    I dont shoot any longer for the most part anyhow except for every now and then.

Twist

Feb 17, 2023
    Annapolis
    Thanks guys. I joined a club that has HP rifle matches every week and I might see how I do without the optics. I might actually prefer a RD on it as we're only out to 100 yds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom