• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I was at a range when I called what I was shooting FMJFN. I was told by a bonehead that they were plated not FMJ. Google is a wonder punched up on my phone what is FMJ?

The term full metal jacket means the lead bullet is encased in a separate harder metal – this is typically copper but can sometimes be other materials and even hybrid composites. The FMJ manufacturer can have a huge variety of ammo lines using their proprietary creation methods, so you can usually pick and choose from different materials, styles and uses.

Even after reading this, he walked away telling me I was wrong. Must be a Liberal.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    You are free to call it what you want. So is he.

When someone talks about jacketed bullets, to me, that means a cup and core bullet construction. A jacket is drawn, usually copper or gilding metal, and a core is then seated in it. A reverse drawn jacket would enclose the bullet base as in a hollow point or soft point bullet.

As a cost reduction, manufacturers are selling "TMJ" ammo. This is plated. Not a drawn jacket.

I don't care what you shoot, as long as it doesn't blow a gun up next to me. I will say that if I buy "fmj" ammo or bullets and it comes in plated I will be pissed and calling the vendor for an RMA or a discount.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind

When someone talks about jacketed bullets, to me, that means a cup and core bullet construction. A jacket is drawn, usually copper or gilding metal, and a core is then seated in it. A reverse drawn jacket would enclose the bullet base as in a hollow point or soft point bullet.

As a cost reduction, manufacturers are selling "TMJ" ammo. This is plated. Not a drawn jacket.

I don't care what you shoot, as long as it doesn't blow a gun up next to me. I will say that if I buy "fmj" ammo or bullets and it comes in plated I will be pissed and calling the vendor for an RMA or a discount.
    QFT.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Plated bullets and full metal jacket bullets utilize two different manufacturing processes. In practical application terms, manufacturers of plated bullets will often specify how fast they should be driven, with reduced velocity recommendations being typical with the electroplated bullet vs. FMJ.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Plated bullets and full metal jacket bullets utilize two different manufacturing processes. In practical application terms, manufacturers of plated bullets will often specify how fast they should be driven, with reduced velocity recommendations being typical with the electroplated bullet vs. FMJ.
    ^^^This.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    1678283713219.jpeg

Know your ammo maggots!

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    1678284125888.jpeg

I don't think the color of the metal means it's one versus the other. Easiest way to tell is pull a bullet and look at the back.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Typically FMJ is a jacket, as you mention cup and core. I've never heard anyone refer to a plated bullet as full metal jacket, or FMJ. Technically its a coating, not a jacket.

Think of it like the difference between pulling on a jacket, or painting on a latex suit. The plated round is the latex body suit you painted on. The core of the bullet, gets a jacket of gilding metal pulled/pushed over it, the cup. Hence jacketed.

A TMJ (someone mentioned it later) is typically different than BOTH! How fun.

So a FMJ has a cup of copper or brass typically several hundredths of an inch thick, that is drawn over the lead core, or the lead core is pushed into the cup. Sort of similar to pushing a lead bullet through a sizing die. Except it forms it over, and creates a slight crimp over the back (take the look at the back of an FMJ). This holds it all together.

plated generally is electro plated building up a layer of copper several thousandths of an inch thick. Hence the velocity restrictions with most. Its a lot harder than just a lead bullet, but the much thinner coating of copper or gilded metal makes it a lot softer than a jacketed bullet.

TMJ follows a plating process, but is typically plated much thicker, closer to actual FMJ thicknesses of several hundredths of an inch thick. TMJ generally have no velocity restrictions.

There are also fully enclosed FMJ bullets. This uses a two stage process to jacket the lead core. A small disc of copper or gilded metal is placed on the base of the lead core, and then the jacket is drawn over, or the disc and core are pushed in to, the cup/jacketing, and then the cup/jacketing are crimped over the disc behind the core.

FMJ has a jacket partially encapsulating the bullet. Fully encased FMJ has a disc and jacket encapsulating it.

Plated have a thin plate coating the core.

TMJ a thick plate coating the core.

FMJ really does have a different meaning than plated and vice versa.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    All plated bullets are not created equal. Berry's plated bullets are usually able to be loaded using the same charge as a comparable FMJ bullet.
    Always check the manufacturer's load data for plated bullets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom