• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordfan

Oct 24, 2010
    AA county
    Is anyone shooting an FN FAL? I was in the local gun shop yesterday and looking at semi-auto .308s and was shown a DSA FN FAL. I really like this rifle, just trying to get some feedback from you all. I have never shot nor seen any at the range.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Is anyone shooting an FN FAL? I was in the local gun shop yesterday and looking at semi-auto .308s and was shown a DSA FN FAL. I really like this rifle, just trying to get some feedback from you all. I have never shot nor seen any at the range.

Ya, unfortunately mine has a little problem... It's a Century receiver, but that's not the problem, whoever built it screwed up the gas system and it doesn't cycle the action. So now I have to troubleshoot it, but I did get a good deal on it. Other than the gas problem, I rather like the way it shoots.

Mark

jimsoden

Super Lurker
    Sep 25, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Ya, unfortunately mine has a little problem... It's a Century receiver, but that's not the problem, whoever built it screwed up the gas system and it doesn't cycle the action. So now I have to troubleshoot it, but I did get a good deal on it. Other than the gas problem, I rather like the way it shoots.

Mark

Only Obama should have FALs...OK, just kidding! :D

Hi Mark,

Here's some info from the source: DSA themselves! Could solve some or all of your FAL gas system cycling trouble. :thumbsup:

http://www.dsarms.com/text/faq5.htm#10

10- How do I set the gas regulator on my FAL? Refer to page 24 in the field manual (you can download page 24 & 25 from our web under "printable forms" tab) and remember, to capture more gas, turn the regulator toward the gas block, (clockwise or towards the right) when looking down from the top of the handguards. This will make the rifle extract and eject with more force. To release more gas, turn the regulator away from the gas block or towards the left. Keep in mind you want the rifle to eject positively yet have the regulator opened enough so as to cause less recoil and wear on its working parts. However it should not be opened so far as to cause a short cycle, this will differ depending on the differentloads and brands of ammunition.
    This feature is unique to the FAL and one of the great advantages of the FAL system. So utilize it to your benefit. It enables the rifle to keep functioning with high round counts when other rifles will just fail due to being too full of carbon and debris

Here's the link to the DSA Printable Forms page:

http://www.dsarms.com/printableforms.asp

Lots of good info on the FAL gas system! :)

Yes, I love my FALs...NO, I don't sleep with them...YET! :sad20::lol2:

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Only Obama should have FALs...OK, just kidding! :D

Hi Mark,

Here's some info from the source: DSA themselves! Could solve some or all of your FAL gas system cycling trouble. :thumbsup:

http://www.dsarms.com/text/faq5.htm#10

10- How do I set the gas regulator on my FAL? Refer to page 24 in the field manual (you can download page 24 & 25 from our web under "printable forms" tab) and remember, to capture more gas, turn the regulator toward the gas block, (clockwise or towards the right) when looking down from the top of the handguards. This will make the rifle extract and eject with more force. To release more gas, turn the regulator away from the gas block or towards the left. Keep in mind you want the rifle to eject positively yet have the regulator opened enough so as to cause less recoil and wear on its working parts. However it should not be opened so far as to cause a short cycle, this will differ depending on the differentloads and brands of ammunition.
    This feature is unique to the FAL and one of the great advantages of the FAL system. So utilize it to your benefit. It enables the rifle to keep functioning with high round counts when other rifles will just fail due to being too full of carbon and debris

Here's the link to the DSA Printable Forms page:

http://www.dsarms.com/printableforms.asp

Lots of good info on the FAL gas system! :)

Yes, I love my FALs...NO, I don't sleep with them...YET! :sad20::lol2:

It's not the setting... It's not feeding gas to the piston AT ALL for some reason, either misaligned or blocked port... which I will figure out after I finish my dissertation proposal. :)

Mark

jimsoden

Super Lurker
    Sep 25, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    DSA FAL? Where and how much? It's a big time seller's market and I've never seen a used DSA for sale.

They are out there, just a little pricey! :) I paid $2,300.00 for my (special order by Atlantic Guns) West German G1 FAL and I don't think I could ever part with her! :o

But, I just did a search on GunBroker and found (Rifles, Semi-auto, FAL DSA) 47 hits on DSA FALs! :thumbsup:

Again, higher initial cost plus great reputation for build quality equals higher used prices. But you can find some deals on occasion, just depends on the seller and the luck of the bidder! :D

On the DSA website you'll find STG-58s ($1,150.00) and SA-58s ($1.7 - 2.0+ K range) for sale NEW, as well as the IMBEL FAL (using both surplus IMBEL parts and DSA made USA 922r compliant parts) for $1,095.00 NEW! Those are great deals! :thumbsup:

Also, there is nothing bad about the Entreprise FALs on the market either (new or used). I have one of their STG-58s that was heavily customized by the first owner (New OD DSA X-Metric furniture, Picatinny rail, etc.). I bought it used for $800.00 2 years ago from Allen at The Gun Rack here in Burtonsville. Entreprise sells their standard FAL (Now based on IMBEL and Entreprise USA parts) for $959.00!! :thumbsup: Nice battle rifle for a nice price! :cool:

Deals are where you find them! FALs ROCK! :party29:

PM or email me if you ever need advice, info/tech specs (I've got TONS of FAL books), or just want to chat - I kissed the Blarney Stone TWICE in Ireland - so I REALLY can babble (sorry!)! :D

jimsoden

Super Lurker
    Sep 25, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    It's not the setting... It's not feeding gas to the piston AT ALL for some reason, either misaligned or blocked port... which I will figure out after I finish my dissertation proposal. :)

Mark

Hi,

Well, if you turn the gas regulator all the way OFF (setting for rifle grenade launching with a blank round), it will have the same symptoms. Could also be gunked up gas port under the gas block (like you said) or severely leaking gas tube. I'd definitely check the regulator (because it's so easy to do as compared to getting the gas block off) and follow the procedures to set it back to factory specs (info listed in the manual/DSA website).

I have heard of numerous folks with the same problem, so it is quite common - and an easy fix! :)

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Hi,

Well, if you turn the gas regulator all the way OFF (setting for rifle grenade launching with a blank round), it will have the same symptoms. Could also be gunked up gas port under the gas block (like you said) or severely leaking gas leaking gas tube. I'd definitely check the regulator (because it's so easy to do as compared to getting the gas block off) and follow the procedures to set it back to factory specs (info listed in the manual/DSA website).

I have heard of numerous folks with the same problem, so it is quite common -and an easy fix! :)

Ya, I checked all that first... made sure that it wasn't operator error. I bought it knowing that it was not operating correctly. So now it's down to actually figuring it out. No big deal, just need to work the problem out. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions though. :)

It's a nice gun considering I got it for $500.

Mark

jimsoden

Super Lurker
    Sep 25, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Ya, I checked all that first... made sure that it wasn't operator error. I bought it knowing that it was not operating correctly. So now it's down to actually figuring it out. No big deal, just need to work the problem out. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions though. :)

It's a nice gun considering I got it for $500.

Mark

:D $500 is good! :D

How about taking the gas plug off and seeing if the prior owner put the piston in backwards of left out the piston spring...?! :sad20:

Ya just never know what you've got until you take it apart sometimes...:)

Good luck, my friend! :thumbsup:

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    One thing you might want to try that's caught many out.
    Screw the gas adjuster all the way in & I mean all the way till it physically stops then back off & see if that helps.
    You'd be surprised how many have been unscrewed a full turn, before setting up & they never cycle that way.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    :D $500 is good! :D

How about taking the gas plug off and seeing if the prior owner put the piston in backwards of left out the piston spring...?! :sad20:

Ya just never know what you've got until you take it apart sometimes...:)

Good luck, my friend! :thumbsup:

One thing you might want to try that's caught many out.
    Screw the gas adjuster all the way in & I mean all the way till it physically stops then back off & see if that helps.
    You'd be surprised how many have been unscrewed a full turn, before setting up & they never cycle that way.

LOL, yep and yep. I tried both... :) I think it's a problem with either a misalignment or an improper gas plug... I just have to take the time to look. :)

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I have a FAL. Love it. Custom built brand new a few years ago. There are two types of FAL's. Metric and Inch.

Inch pattern are FAL's built by Britain and Commonwealth Countries.
    Metric pattern FAL's are continental European style such as Belgian/German, Austrian, Brazilian.

Get one ASAP.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

AIM Surplus gets some DSA made rifles that are built on Brazilian Imbel kits.On occasion they also get some rifles based on the Austrian STG58 rifles.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1DSAIMBEL&groupid=208

I have a rifle built on an Imbel kit, using a DSA Type II receiver. I do have to take that rifle to the range. Been shooting AR's lately.

BTW, FAL's are regulated in MD, which means the same paperwork and wait as a handgun.

Fordfan

Oct 24, 2010
    AA county
    Thanks for your input guys. I think I am going to save up for an FN FAL. I have a few more questions though. What is the difference between SA58 and STG58? What is the difference between type I and II reciever. ON the DSA website thew have an IMBEL FAL for 1095.00 then almost the same looking
    DS58 starting at 1700.00 I just don't see the difference in the two. Thanks for your help guys!

Last edited:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Thanks for your input guys. What is the difference between SA58 and STG58?

STG58 is the Austrian version of the FAL. DSA marks their US made receivers "SA58". So, if you bought a DSA STG58, the receiver will say "SA58", but the gun will be configured like an Austrian STG58.

Also, you will see on DSA's site, G1 configured rifles. The G1 was the first rifle adopted by West Germany's army. There was a G2 made by SIG and then came the infamous G3 from HK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom