• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    Pretty easy. 2 Black Liquid RIT Dyes, 1 Purple Liquid RIT Dye.

Disassemble frame and clean HEAVILY in a sink with hot water and detergent. Get ALL Oils off. Wear Gloves.

Put dye in a Steel Pot on the stove that's large enough to accomidate the frame. Add distilled water to the pot so you have enough Dye and Water to completely submerge the frame when placed in the solution.

Heat the solution will its close to boiling but DONT boil.

Place frame in the solution and turn burner off.

Leave in the solution for about 4 hours.

Remove frame, wash off and check the parts. If they are purple then repeat until controls are black.

Once desired color is achieved then dry, re-oil and assemble.

FYI some 5.7 Mag Releases are Aluminum so they need to be Duracoated or Ceramic Coated.

Great thanks. Maybe I'll attempt it.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Neither of those barrels work reliably with a Suppressor and even have issues without the Suppressor attached.

Neither are chrome lined like the factory unit and its necessary to maintain good extraction and feeding on a gun that's pretty much a blowback design. For BEST results send the Factory Barrel out to Tornado Tech for threading.

Im quite versed in the subject because I have worked on a many.

This one used to be mine:

DSC00542.jpg

DSC00540.jpg

DSC00541.jpg

DSC00544.jpg

DSC00546.jpg

DSC00551-1.jpg

DSC00552-1.jpg

DSC00553.jpg

DSC00543-1.jpg

DSC00545-1.jpg

- Trigger Job

- Feed Ramp Polish

-"Grey to Black" Control Lever Dye Job

- Disabled Magazine Disconnect

- "Slight" Beveled Magazine Well

- Threaded Barrel and 10mmX1 Female to 1/2-28 Male Thread Adaptor (Thanks to Tornado Technologies)
    http://tornado-technologies.com/

- SWR Spectre Multi-Caliber Sound Suppressor 1/2-28.

That's a sweet setup and I LOVE the sights. Jarvis has a pretty good name in the industry...and I've had good luck personally. My experience with the 5.7 hasn't been enough to state on reliability, just the two brands Gemtech advises on their website. Do even the ones they make when you send them the slide and have it machined specifically for the slide still have issues?

Do blowback designs generally have extraction issues with a barrel which isn't chrome-lined?

I'm guessing the SWR is better than the Gemtech, but more expensive?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    That's a sweet setup and I LOVE the sights. Jarvis has a pretty good name in the industry...and I've had good luck personally. My experience with the 5.7 hasn't been enough to state on reliability, just the two brands Gemtech advises on their website. Do even the ones they make when you send them the slide and have it machined specifically for the slide still have issues?

Do blowback designs generally have extraction issues with a barrel which isn't chrome-lined?

I'm guessing the SWR is better than the Gemtech, but more expensive?

Yes even if the Barrel is Fit by a Manufacturer is wont help with extraction or feeding issues.

Function depends on the caliber. The 5.7 is much more potent than most pistol calibers thus the chrome lining aids in function. Not many Blowback designs have chrome lined barrels. From my understanding only some CZ 8x series do, and some very limited runs of Tokarevs did. Makarovs often do from what I have seen but this is likely tied to most 9mm Mak Ammo being Steel Cased. Chrome Lined Chambers operate more reliably with Steel Cased Ammo.

SWR and Silencerco make the best Rimfire Cans and can be had for $400-$500. Gemtec is a brand that does not impress me.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    I have one that hasn't been out of its box in 2 years. I've had it for about 5 years and put only 2 or 300 rounds thru it- zero failures. If your offering $1500, I would consider parting with it. Pistol, box and everything it came with. Not really looking to sell, but you could twist my arm since I'm not using it.

That is very tempting. :) I am trying to find a cheaper one but If I can't i might have to take you up on that.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    Gun broker sells ammo for it so if your willing to pay the GB tax not that hard. Before the ammo craziness it wasn't easy to find them but it wasn't hard either. Most internet ammo sites sell 5.7 and I know the some gun stores used to sell it.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes even if the Barrel is Fit by a Manufacturer is wont help with extraction or feeding issues.

Function depends on the caliber. The 5.7 is much more potent than most pistol calibers thus the chrome lining aids in function. Not many Blowback designs have chrome lined barrels. From my understanding only some CZ 8x series do, and some very limited runs of Tokarevs did. Makarovs often do from what I have seen but this is likely tied to most 9mm Mak Ammo being Steel Cased. Chrome Lined Chambers operate more reliably with Steel Cased Ammo.

SWR and Silencerco make the best Rimfire Cans and can be had for $400-$500. Gemtec is a brand that does not impress me.

That's good info to know...I know very little about the Eastern guns and I didn't even realize most Mak ammo was steel cased as I have very little experience with it, and very little experience with Eastern guns beyond the CZ82. :)

And I've heard a lot of people say that about the rimfire cans (well, also for centerfire if you add AAC as I'm debating on a Ti-Rant vs. Osprey for a 9). IIRC you can take the two you mentioned apart and their baffles are made out of something other than aluminum like the Gemtech (which I do not believe can be taken apart or at least isn't designed to be)...is a 5.7 can one that should be periodically disassembled and cleaned with 5.7x28 ammo only? Someone from Gemtech once told me there is no reason to take it apart to clean it, but I find that hard to believe for people who shoot a ton, at least for .22 given how dirty it gets and how much deposits build up and how other makers put a lot of emphasis on the ability to detail strip their can + user-replaceable parts?

Also, theoretically the 5.7 is a great round for people given how stupidly hot it is in which it theoretically should be able to cause tissue damage other than the perforation and direct loss of blood created by the bullet's direct cavity only. Are the civilian loadings good for this purpose? I've looked every now and then for data on it and it seems not much exists relative to the more common calibers.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    Don't know if there is a thread for this. But does anyone know how to go about getting something on the MD firearms roster? I keep seeing these MPA 5.7 on gun broker and they are WAY cheaper then the FN. But they aren't on the roster. :(

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Don't know if there is a thread for this. But does anyone know how to go about getting something on the MD firearms roster? I keep seeing these MPA 5.7 on gun broker and they are WAY cheaper then the FN. But they aren't on the roster. :(

Is the MAC 10 or 11 on there? Its the same gun just a different caliber. If the Mac is on there should be able to purchase as its a copy cat .

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    I would ask if VBR-Belgium CQBW were on the MD roster. But since i can't find a single one of GB i am guessing they aren't imported to the US. But they have a 5.7x28mm.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    So I have a dumb question that maybe someone knows the answer too. The MPA570SST pistol isn't on the MD roster. But they have what they also sell the MPA5700SST which is listed as a carbine rifle. It looks like they just fitted a stock and long barrell on the pistol and called it a rifle, but i might be wrong. They also sell the MPA570SST-SBR as a rifle. Would the MPA5700SST or the MPA570SST-SBR be legal in maryland?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I've got two of them, and about 1000 rounds of ammo that sat on my shelf undisturbed by buyer interest for literally months. :wtf: (NO they were not at gouge pricing.)

I pulled the ammo when I scored my P90s, and sold one of the pistols to a family member for a song when nobody else made an offer....that is always the way it goes, they never want what you have until you have sold it. :mad54:

Anyway, they are indeed fun pistols to shoot, but that pencil-like barrel always freaks me out.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    I've got two of them, and about 1000 rounds of ammo that sat on my shelf undisturbed by buyer interest for literally months. :wtf: (NO they were not at gouge pricing.)

I pulled the ammo when I scored my P90s, and sold one of the pistols to a family member for a song when nobody else made an offer....that is always the way it goes, they never want what you have until you have sold it. :mad54:

Anyway, they are indeed fun pistols to shoot, but that pencil-like barrel always freaks me out.

Do you still have one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom