• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FlokiBear

Oct 12, 2020
    How are you cleaning your guns? My FN FNX-45 tends to get quite dirty after a fair amount of rounds are sent down range, especially when firing suppressed. Due to the intricacies of the lower, it is difficult to actually clean the lower. Over the past couple years in which I have owned this wonderful firearm, I've mainly been attempting to clean it out with cue tips, but still can't get all of it out. I know firearms are built to get dirty and still last a long time but my personal preference is to clean them on a regular basis if they have been used. I imagine an ultrasonic cleaner would do the trick, but I have not invested in one of those yet and I don't really want to just start blasting gun cleaner sprays all the time until it looks good either.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Resist the urge to clean your guns to like new.

Maybe once in a blue moon a more detailed clean is necessary.

But doing this often does nothing and most of the time actually promotes premature wear.

Do what Blaster said.

If you cannot handle it that way, an ultrasonic cleaner is your best bet, but be prepared to do a full takedown of your gun every time you want to clean it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I mention this every time a cleaning thread comes up. An armorer in my agency fired 50k rounds through his P229 with only lubing it, not cleaning. Truth be told, the average gun owner/shooter would never have to clean a pistol for as long as they own it.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I mention this every time a cleaning thread comes up. An armorer in my agency fired 50k rounds through his P229 with only lubing it, not cleaning. Truth be told, the average gun owner/shooter would never have to clean a pistol for as long as they own it.

Hmmm. Every time after I shot 100 rounds out of M&P Shield, I touched the gun around ejector and barrel crown and seeing black mark all over my hand? Don't I need to clean it?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Hmmm. Every time after I shot 100 rounds out of M&P Shield, I touched the gun around ejector and barrel crown and seeing black mark all over my hand? Don't I need to clean it?
    I just scrape the extractor if it looks like some gunk might be collecting on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom