• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • So how do I open these?

My ammo is here my ammo is here! How do I open these things without the opener? I didn't order two cans of each and didn't get the opener. I don't want to destroy the cans. :shrug:

Attachments

• a1.jpg
      a1.jpg
      69.6 KB · Views: 166

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I've wondered the same... haven't needed to tap into the two cans I got from KeepShooting last year yet because I had a lot of other rounds I bought at gun shows.

I'd like to find a way to open it without destroying it... perhaps like the 'safety' type can openers that will cut the bead around a can and leave clean edges.

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    I've wondered the same... haven't needed to tap into the two cans I got from KeepShooting last year yet because I had a lot of other rounds I bought at gun shows.

I'd like to find a way to open it without destroying it... perhaps like the 'safety' type can openers that will cut the bead around a can and leave clean edges.

This is how Oldcarjunkie opens his :D

I got the 8mm open

I opened the 8mm ammo. I destroyed the lid but the box is still serviceable.
    I used a common screwdriver as a chisel and started to open the lid then I used my tin snips. I used pliers to squeeze the remains of the lid flat against the inside of the can. I got green paint flecks everywhere so I recommend opening the spam cans outside, in a garage, or basement. The can has a strong odor and I'm guessing it's the paint.

Attachments

• a2.jpg
      a2.jpg
      56.9 KB · Views: 150
    • a3.jpg
      a3.jpg
      66.2 KB · Views: 150
    • a4.jpg
      a4.jpg
      74.4 KB · Views: 153

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Even when you use the official opener, the green paint chips will still be all over, so yes open it outside. Occasionally Sportsman's Guide will give free shipping and that is the time to order ammo.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    I order the ammo by the crate, so I always get the opener. I've seen a bunch of different ways to open the cans if you don't have the opener. I haven't tried any of them though.

Sometimes you can buy the opener online.

bward1028

Dec 27, 2010
    PG County
    anyone want to split an order with me? i don't need more than one can but i'd like to save on some shipping.

so i AM going to order a bunch of ammo, within the next few days. if anyone wants to get in on the order, it looks like shipping comes to between $10-15 depending on amount. total cost less than $90 delivered. i live pretty close to DC for pick up, and can often be found at MD small arms range.
    PM if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom