For someone relatively new to the hobby - M4 or AR15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharstin

Cruffler
    Feb 15, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I am definitely new to the forum but I wouldn't say I am a Noob, more like a Noo (lol). I would like to ask all you experts on the forum, would you suggest an M4 or an AR 15 for someone like me? I do have mechanical experience if that is a consideration.

I don't plan on hunting with it, just target shooting. Looking for something I can have fun with that won't kill me on ammo prices like my M1911 does.

Thanks for your help.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Ummm, as far as I know they are the same rifle. That is, the AR-15 is a clone of the M-16 and the only difference is the configuration of the rifle. Then again, I'm a total newb when it comes to EBRs so I could be wrong.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    It's a simple choice really. You can't have an M4 unless you're law enforcement, so AR15 it is. Now you can build an AR15 to be identical to an M4, but semi-auto only.

If you're worried about ammo prices, look at an sks or ak variant. 7.62x39 is dirt cheap.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    It's a simple choice really. You can't have an M4 unless you're law enforcement, so AR15 it is. Now you can build an AR15 to be identical to an M4, but semi-auto only.

If you're worried about ammo prices, look at an sks or ak variant. 7.62x39 is dirt cheap.

Not if he wants to go NFA. He can purchase a full auto deal if he has the cash and doesn't mind a 6 mos +/- wait.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    If you're looking to save money on ammo, then shooting a centerfire rifle isn't the way to do it. I don't think you see much (if any) savings over .45.

Now if you bought a .22LR version then yeah you save some coin.

Now I'm going to assume you meant a 20" rifle (AR-15) and a carbine (M4) ? As 'true" AR-15s were only produced by Colt and "true" M4s are Military/LEO only unless you're a dealer selling them.

20" rifles have longer sight radiuses which mean they are easier to be more precise with when shooting with iron sights, and they have a higher muzzle velocity (which helps when shooting at 500y by reducing drop and wind drift). 20" rifles are also longer, heavier, and marginally more reliable.

Carbines (16" barrels and 14.5" barrels with permanently attached muzzle devices) tend to be seen as 'more fun'. They are lighter, often have telescoping stocks (meaning they can adjust to the shooter), and have more muzzle blast.

For target shooting at most of the ranges around here both will do just fine. If you are thinking of competing in Service Rifle Competiton go with a 20" A2 style as a starter gun. If something more 'action oriented' like 3-gun appleals to you then I'd suggest a carbine.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Not if he wants to go NFA. He can purchase a full auto deal if he has the cash and doesn't mind a 6 mos +/- wait.

Seeing that he doesn't like the cost of .45acp ammo, I'm betting he ain't gonna spend tens of thousands of dollars on an NFA M4.

Anyway, I'd recommend you go to a gunshop or gunshow and handle a variety of AR15s in 14.5", 16", 18", and 20" configurations and figure out what feels best.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

this.. unless you have the money for the real thing and you have to deal w/ nfa stamps.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011

Do you know of any pre-86 M4s? Nope there are none - all are post 86 dealer samples.

Now he could buy an old M16A2 and convert to an M4 type, or buy a RDIAS and drop into an M4gery, but it's still not a 'real' M4.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Do you know of any pre-86 M4s? Nope there are none - all are post 86 dealer samples.

Now he could buy an old M16A2 and convert to an M4 type, or buy a RDIAS and drop into an M4gery, but it's still not a 'real' M4.

Fair enough. :lol2: You guys are too much. :thumbsup:

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    And he'll save on ammo if he shoots steel. Then again, he'll save on ammo for his 1911 if he shoots steel.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Or if he doesn't mind taking the hit up-front to get set-up for reloading...., cut that expense down a good deal once your set up for .45 ACP... :innocent0

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Pretty much what has been said above.
    I would recomend starting with the fundamental. Full length A2 , using iron sights. But alas that is a decidedly minority opinion, the overwhelming majority will go with a "sexier" carbine , loaded with the kitchen sink.

"M4" is refering to a semiauto clone using handgaurds of particular size and shape , and a specific bbl contour ( and either lengthened, or perminant flashhider to make 16.01 inches)

Personally I prefer an "AR-15 Carbine " with the smaller(standard) handgaurds , and either a semi-heavy or pencil bbl profile depending on your preferences between 1:17:24 AM wt for carring , and steadyness for off hand shooting.

But the whole concept is that you can mix and match , including combinations not usually see, Use a fixed stock with short bbl. Or if you like the idea of different lengths for different clothing or different shooting position , use a telescoping stock with a 20in or longer bbl.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Ummm, as far as I know they are the same rifle. That is, the AR-15 is a clone of the M-16 and the only difference is the configuration of the rifle. Then again, I'm a total newb when it comes to EBRs so I could be wrong.

If you want to get technical, the M-16 is a clone of the AR-15. Since it was the name given to the AR-15 when it was adopted by the military. There are full auto AR-15 marked factory colt receivers out there, They're very old, but they are out there.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    If you want to get technical, the M-16 is a clone of the AR-15. Since it was the name given to the AR-15 when it was adopted by the military. There are full auto AR-15 marked factory colt receivers out there, They're very old, but they are out there.

Learn something new everyday.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 189

Southern Cross

Oct 2, 2007
    Chase, MD
    Every American should have one of each in their stable. Assuming by M4 you mean a 16" AR-15...basically a semi M4 clone and by AR-15 you mean a 20" AR-17...basically a semi M16A2/A4 clone.

Since you are just looking to target shoot I say go with the full 20". A nice A4 clone. Or if you have the cash build yourself a nice little MK12 SPR. My MK12 is probably my favorite AR-15.

If you want something for home defense or want a little high speed M4 clone with all of the goodies go with 16" AR-15 carbine. There are tons of them out there but I think the pick of the litter is easily the Colt LE6920. Closest you can get to an actual M4. You can't beat the prancing pony for holding its value either. Years and years from now no one is going to give a crap about your Bushmaster/DPMS/Rock River M4 clone...but I'm betting that LE6920 will be worth more used than you paid new. I'm not a big fan of any of Colt's 20" offerings except maybe the 6550 as the closest you can can to an M16A2...but they're pricey and tough to find. There are almost just as many choices as with the M4 clones. I'm a fan of the CMMG A4 clone...but the choice is yours.

Another way to look at it is...are you going to add some sort of high speed site like an Aimpoint or Eotech? If you're leaning that way go with the "M4". If you're going to be shooting irons the "M16" is the shooter for you.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    I think he actually knew the M4/AR15 are the same thing and was wondering if he should think about getting one. Cause the .45 is too expensive.

Atleast, thats how I read the question as being, instead of should I get A or B.

My answer? I don't think 5.56 is cheaper then .45

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom