• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I was waiting to see a parkhurst device but no dice.
    If anyone ever observed how a N0 1-4 stripper worked once the 10 rounds were inserted into the magazine, the geometry of the magazine interaction with the ammo would be interesting to a relic nerd.
    The angle of the mag bottom makes the bullet tip point upwards for the cartridges at the bottom to align the rims as they move upwards to a horizontal position.
    In 1942 Great Britain was producing around 30 million rounds of 303 a month to keep up with the demands of the war.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I've never been able to be that smooth with an Enfield or Mosin :o The sixth round in the 1917 was a nice touch ;)

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    I just can't load an M1 carbine magazine anywhere as smoothly as shown in the video. Maybe it's the Korean surplus stripper clips.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Hmm, first one is a tubular magazine with spitzer bullets????

Primer cover integrated into design of the magazine tube and ammunition 'Balle D Lebel Ammo had a cup around the primer to protect it from the brass bullets behind it.
    The point of the bullet rode against the cup. It may have been around the same time as smokeless powder in military ammo, maybe even the first. 1896 ish I think.
    Seems overly complex and unnecessary today of course.
    I don't know what sort of ammo that guy has, hopefully it's dummies if he's inside his house.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The Lebel was revolutionary when it emerged from Top Secret Development in 1886. It rendered all other military rifles obsolete. It especially threw the Germans into a panic. Rumors were that the new rifle produced no smoke and was utterly silent. Presumably, the French could march right to Berlin without being detected until a week after they hoisted the Tricolor over the Reichstag.

The rumors turned out to be exaggerated, but the new rifle was the first firearm on Earth to use what became known as smokeless propellant.

The 8mm small bore, high velocity cartridge was specially designed to use a modern spitzer bullet safely in its state-of-the-art tubular magazine. The cartridge had an extreme taper intended to position the rounds at a downward angle in the magazine tube, to keep the bullet noses below the primers of the cartridges in front of them. Further, the base of the cartridge had a deep groove forming a recessed ring around the primer. The bullet noses would lock into these recessed rings, ensuring that they could not contact the primer.

The Lebel was truly revolutionary, one of the most significant firearms in history. It's failing arose by its designers neglecting to notice the freakish box magazine invented by James Paris Lee some ten years before, and retaining the Winchester/Kropatschek type tube which was then the established standard.

It's tiresome to see how many people made silly comments on that video regarding the backward, slow French system.

It's far more tiresome to see worn out old jokes about "only dropped once" repeated by very, very ignorant people who obviously know nothing of military (or firearms) history.

rifelman

Aug 7, 2008
    Calvert County
    The Lebel was revolutionary when it emerged from Top Secret Development in 1886. It rendered all other military rifles obsolete. It especially threw the Germans into a panic. Rumors were that the new rifle produced no smoke and was utterly silent. Presumably, the French could march right to Berlin without being detected until a week after they hoisted the Tricolor over the Reichstag.

The rumors turned out to be exaggerated, but the new rifle was the first firearm on Earth to use what became known as smokeless propellant.

The 8mm small bore, high velocity cartridge was specially designed to use a modern spitzer bullet safely in its state-of-the-art tubular magazine. The cartridge had an extreme taper intended to position the rounds at a downward angle in the magazine tube, to keep the bullet noses below the primers of the cartridges in front of them. Further, the base of the cartridge had a deep groove forming a recessed ring around the primer. The bullet noses would lock into these recessed rings, ensuring that they could not contact the primer.

The Lebel was truly revolutionary, one of the most significant firearms in history. It's failing arose by its designers neglecting to notice the freakish box magazine invented by James Paris Lee some ten years before, and retaining the Winchester/Kropatschek type tube which was then the established standard.

It's tiresome to see how many people made silly comments on that video regarding the backward, slow French system.

It's far more tiresome to see worn out old jokes about "only dropped once" repeated by very, very ignorant people who obviously know nothing of military (or firearms) history.

Pretty well Said I must say. The French are a quirky bunch, but it's hard to question their overall guts historically as a people

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Primer cover integrated into design of the magazine tube and ammunition 'Balle D Lebel Ammo had a cup around the primer to protect it from the brass bullets behind it.
    The point of the bullet rode against the cup. It may have been around the same time as smokeless powder in military ammo, maybe even the first. 1896 ish I think.
    Seems overly complex and unnecessary today of course.
    I don't know what sort of ammo that guy has, hopefully it's dummies if he's inside his house.

It seems they were not actually inline. The cup was a groove between the primer and the rib.

Attachments

• lebel case head.jpg
      lebel case head.jpg
      21.6 KB · Views: 200

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Love loading my SKS with clipped ammo, but it's not just for surplus nerds.

5.56 stripper clip video with a nice loading tip @ 1:30.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The 8mm small bore, high velocity cartridge was specially designed to use a modern spitzer bullet safely in its state-of-the-art tubular magazine.

According to Wikipedia, a 231 grain bullet that went 2300 fps at the muzzle! That would pack a wallop.

[EDIT] Also used in a full-auto MG; Hotchkiss Mle 1914 machine gun

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom