• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    I'm not sure what size I would go a D cell tube for a 30 cal can at the moment. If I put 12" on the form 1 and when I build it, it's shorter, that will be OK?

Yes, you can be shorter but not longer.

You can also always send in an amendment letter as well once your build is complete.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am thinking about doing a couple of just in case Form 1s for these.

What would you recommend as specs for them?

I shoot .22 RF, some 9mm, but mainly .45 for pistol. .22, .223, and .308 for rifle.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    If you wanted to do two cans, I would do 1 pistol can 45, and 1 30 cal can. I would also consider doing a 22lr can if you shoot a bunch of 22lr.

blksniper2000

certified lurker
    Jan 31, 2009
    Baltimore/PA area
    Ok my 3 stamps are back and I figured I'm going to start building them. I have 22lr, 45acp and 30cal stamps.
    I would like to build a 22lr suppressor capable of handling full auto from my mac10

I also would like to build a 45 pistol can that can handle 45 auto if possible similar to the octane 45hd

and I'm thinking the titanium build for the 30 cal would be a good build but wasn't sure if I should get the 7.6 length or 9.6 and cut it down to 8

any suggestions and or tips are very much welcome

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Going full auto on 22, would make me use a d cell probably to increase the volume and heat sink.

45 Ti would probably be ok, but CS would for sure but be heavy.

30 cal go with the 7.6", it will work great. If it's a bench only gun then the 9.6 will give more suppression.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I've got the $200 together for the first e-file. Initially, I was thinking just a .22cal can for use on a bolt action rifle and a Ruger pistol. I was planning on a C cell can of roughly 6 inches. Now that I'm looking at other builds, I was thinking either 9mm or 30 cal... I have a first generation Glock 17 which would need a threaded barrel... and I have a pre-ban AR lower that I was thinking about building to a 300 BLK SBR...

Question. .. could the 9mm can pull double duty on the pistol and the SBR? I assume I'd be sacrificing some noise reduction for the SBR...

Lastly... thanks Weber... for getting this thread back. It's both instructional and inspirational...

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    No problem!

The issue with doing s double duty can is the pistol will require a booster to cycle the glock.

You use some adapters to make it work on both, but you are adding length and weight.

blksniper2000

certified lurker
    Jan 31, 2009
    Baltimore/PA area
    Going full auto on 22, would make me use a d cell probably to increase the volume and heat sink.

45 Ti would probably be ok, but CS would for sure but be heavy.

30 cal go with the 7.6", it will work great. If it's a bench only gun then the 9.6 will give more suppression.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to do the 30 cal first since there is already so much documentation on it

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you wanted to do two cans, I would do 1 pistol can 45, and 1 30 cal can. I would also consider doing a 22lr can if you shoot a bunch of 22lr.

Just for reference, I have two commercial .30 cal cans and a .22 can.

So these are "extra" for the future.

But .30, .45, and .22 is a good mix.

C cell for .22, D for the others? Suggested lengths?

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Just for reference, I have two commercial .30 cal cans and a .22 can.

So these are "extra" for the future.

But .30, .45, and .22 is a good mix.

C cell for .22, D for the others? Suggested lengths?

Yes, C cell for 22 and D for the others.

If you may be ok with a B tube, but for 45 I would probably step up to the D.

5.6" for the C, and 7.6" for the D will work well for most applications.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I might be mistaken, but D cell cans will be a bit too tall for using factory sights on a .22 pistol. Since I am going to use my .22 caliber can on both a rifle and a pistol, I'm opting for the C cell. I suppose if you want a super quiet bolt action suppressed rifle and are using a scope, the D cell might be a bit better? Speculation on my part about this... I have no practical experience....

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    I might be mistaken, but D cell cans will be a bit too tall for using factory sights on a .22 pistol. Since I am going to use my .22 caliber can on both a rifle and a pistol, I'm opting for the C cell. I suppose if you want a super quiet bolt action suppressed rifle and are using a scope, the D cell might be a bit better? Speculation on my part about this... I have no practical experience....

Yes, most cans elminate the use of the factory sights.

For 22lr, c cell works. Anything larger requires B or D.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And to double check, cans are opposite of SBRs. You can make the can shorter than the Form 1, but not longer?

So put in Form 1s for a 7.6" C, and two 9.6" Ds.

Or would a 7.6" D be a good idea for pistol use?

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    And to double check, cans are opposite of SBRs. You can make the can shorter than the Form 1, but not longer?

Yes, the suppressor can be shorter than what's listed but not longer.

Depends on the caliber for the pistol. C is only good for 22lr, b is good for 9mm and below, d is good for pretty much everything.

B is a very pistol friendly size tube, as it works well and can still slow the use of factory sights. 45 is close on a B, but still works.

Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America

When doing the form 1 do not forget to include the length of the end caps.
    A 7.6" C cell actually comes out to 8".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom