• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I thought this deserved a new thread so it got one. I called ATF again today to follow up from my last conversation with Mr. Cook and see if he received my email that I forwarded from MSP. From the latest information I gather, Form 1's that are staying over 29" OAL are not a problem and seem to be getting through. I resent him the email and I had an approval on my Form 1 30 minutes later. I had to thank him on the phone for working with us confused MD residents and I have to give kudos to him for the guidance and help.... I'm psyched now..... Just need to engrave the lower (yes, I held off engraving just incase we lost the ability to Form1 our rifles). Anyone that knows a spot I can get engraving, please let me know. I want to take this to Delmarva in a few weeks so need to finish that up quick :D

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    So the under 29" OAL rifles are being denied? Can't I just build it with an OAL of 29" and then throw a shorter upper on it later (while keeping the original upper, of course).

Last edited:

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    So the under 29" OAL rifles are being denied? Can't I just build it with an OAL of 29" and then throw a shorter upper on it later (while keeping the original upper, of course).

Possession of a now banned configuration...which SHOULD be okay with a pre 10/13 lower, but IANAL and wouldn't do it without further clarification.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I thought this deserved a new thread so it got one. I called ATF again today to follow up from my last conversation with Mr. Cook and see if he received my email that I forwarded from MSP. From the latest information I gather, Form 1's that are staying over 29" OAL are not a problem and seem to be getting through. I resent him the email and I had an approval on my Form 1 30 minutes later. I had to thank him on the phone for working with us confused MD residents and I have to give kudos to him for the guidance and help.... I'm psyched now..... Just need to engrave the lower (yes, I held off engraving just incase we lost the ability to Form1 our rifles). Anyone that knows a spot I can get engraving, please let me know. I want to take this to Delmarva in a few weeks so need to finish that up quick :D

Nice, thanks for getting this through and leading the way for the rest of us. Last thing I need to figure out is what length barrel I can put on my .300 AAC Blackout build to keep it over 29".

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Congrats! I guess this means there should be a corresponding MSP advisory or bulletin coming out shortly.

Anyway, you worked for this one. Glad it ended well.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Nice, thanks for getting this through and leading the way for the rest of us. Last thing I need to figure out is what length barrel I can put on my .300 AAC Blackout build to keep it over 29".

My recommendation is the 11.3" Wilson Combat :D

It was a hell of a ride and glad it ended on a good note. TBH, what prompted me to call and follow up today was that I never heard anything back from when I passed along my email that MSP gave me about the handgun review board and also the advertising of SBR configuration being legal if you buy a stripped lower that is now coming back as okay to sell. Mr. Cook didn't have my email so we talked a bit more and I resent it to him.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    congrats! I had my engraving done at Engage. Took about 2 weeks. I still need to get my other SBR lower engraved. Just havent had the time to take a drive down.

xgaspx

Pennsylvania Ex-Pat
    May 31, 2013
    Maryland
    Got my approved, paper-filed Form 1 yesterday. Here's the details:

Lower: Engage E4 pre-10/1, no proof of purchase date provided
    Barrel: 10.5 inches
    Overall length: 29.0 inches

Form 1 Submitted: 10/6/2013
    Form 1 Approved: 7/11/2014
    Stamp Received: 7/16/2014

Rubber Stamps in Rockville MD to do the engraving.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I'm riding up to Bollinger next week to get engraving done. I want to be able to take mine out for the August 2nd shoot at Delmarva.

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    I have yet to build up an SBR. Do you guys buy all the parts first and then apply for the tax stamp, or vice versa, or some other order?

I sent in my stamp, bought parts, built as a pistol to test fire and work out any kinks, then once I received my stamp I had the buffer tube replaced and stock put on.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I sent in the Form 1 and bought parts. I put the lower together, left the rest in pieces. Last night, the pieces became whole. I put an adjustable gas block on mine because I want to add a suppressor at some point so I'll dial that in.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    I have yet to build up an SBR. Do you guys buy all the parts first and then apply for the tax stamp, or vice versa, or some other order?

I’ve seen some wise folks who say constructive possession isn’t an issue. I always end up figuring why risk it.

If starting with just a receiver, I don’t keep the upper assembly or barrel in my possession until I have an approved stamp/engraved receiver. If there’s a great deal on a barrel/complete upper deal that can’t be passed up, I just have it shipped and stored with a friend until approved.

Once approved, then I deal with engraving and then I possess the barrel. Probably overboard but I sleep easier.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I’ve seen some wise folks who say constructive possession isn’t an issue. I always end up figuring why risk it.

If starting with just a receiver, I don’t keep the upper assembly or barrel in my possession until I have an approved stamp/engraved receiver. If there’s a great deal on a barrel/complete upper deal that can’t be passed up, I just have it shipped and stored with a friend until approved.

Once approved, then I deal with engraving and then I possess the barrel. Probably overboard but I sleep easier.

Constructive possession is what had me worried. Probably best to do the engraving and purchase the barrel after the stamp comes back. I can get everything else in order and then just buy the barrel after I have the stamp in hand. Thanks.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Constructive possession is what had me worried. Probably best to do the engraving and purchase the barrel after the stamp comes back. I can get everything else in order and then just buy the barrel after I have the stamp in hand. Thanks.

IIRC constructive possession comes in when you have the parts to make it an SBR. Don't keep an extra stock/buffer tube laying around and you should be okay. Build as a pistol with pistol buffer tube and grab the stock after the stamp comes back, this way you can at least test the rifle before/during stamp acquisition.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    IIRC constructive possession comes in when you have the parts to make it an SBR. Don't keep an extra stock/buffer tube laying around and you should be okay. Build as a pistol with pistol buffer tube and grab the stock after the stamp comes back, this way you can at least test the rifle before/during stamp acquisition.

Yeah, I'd rather not test the waters. I have all kinds of AR parts here and don't want to be in possession of a short barrel without the tax stamp for it.

As far as testing the firearm before making it an SBR, I can wait on that. I have several guns here that I bought because of SB281 that have yet to have a round fired through them. Over lunch I was trying to come up with a way to have a picnic with my brothers and sisters at McKeldin Park and shoot at AGC (i.e., men go shooting, women and young kids play at the park).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom