• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I want to ask if anyone has built a Form 1 suppressor lately and what was required by the ATF. I have been out of the loop (country, actually) for several years and am thinking of building a suppressor after I return in 2025. I was also reorganizing my gun safes and found some tooling and parts I bought around 2016 to make rifle suppressors, but never started the project since I went overseas for my work. I have a set of tools to make baffles from freeze plugs, using a hydraulic press, and plans and parts to make a monolithic core. I guess I was hedging my bets back then and decided to try both routes. How much does the ATF want from us to approve a Form 1 now? Is it significantly more difficult to get approval for a Form 1 suppressor now?
    thanks in advance.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I want to ask if anyone has built a Form 1 suppressor lately and what was required by the ATF. I have been out of the loop (country, actually) for several years and am thinking of building a suppressor after I return in 2025. I was also reorganizing my gun safes and found some tooling and parts I bought around 2016 to make rifle suppressors, but never started the project since I went overseas for my work. I have a set of tools to make baffles from freeze plugs, using a hydraulic press, and plans and parts to make a monolithic core. I guess I was hedging my bets back then and decided to try both routes. How much does the ATF want from us to approve a Form 1 now? Is it significantly more difficult to get approval for a Form 1 suppressor now?
    thanks in advance.
    Short version is that you don't have parts yet because you're waiting for the approved stamp and you have access to machining tools.

200 bucks.

It's not hard as long as you do it right.

thanks in advance.
    I was approved for one in 2023.
    When asked about supplies, provide multiple suppliers of items (NOT a "kit") and explain you will be turning the baffles on a lathe yourself.
    They have really cracked down on people buying "solvent trap kits" and simply drilling a few holes and declaring it home made.
    ETA- If you want be extra safe, don't buy supplies until the stamp is in hand. It is a huge no-no to drill holes prior to having the tax stamp.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I was approved for one in 2023.
    When asked about supplies, provide multiple suppliers of items (NOT a "kit") and explain you will be turning the baffles on a lathe yourself.
    They have really cracked down on people buying "solvent trap kits" and simply drilling a few holes and declaring it home made.
    ETA- If you want be extra safe, don't buy supplies until the stamp is in hand. It is a huge no-no to drill holes prior to having the tax stamp.

No, I don't have a kit of any kind. I only have some tooling that I bought from one supplier to make baffles from freeze plugs, and I'll buy freeze plugs from where ever I can find them. I suppose the market for parts and tooling has dried up since I originally got interested in this route back in 2016. I won't have any holes drilled or plugs formed into baffles until after the Form 1 is approved. I'll also have to reassemble my hydraulic press, which I put into storage when I left to work in Africa back then. I hope I can still find all the parts for the press.

As for the body, I'll see if I can find some "maker" workshop with a lathe. Does ATF require me to use tools I own, or can I borrow or rent machine tools? It's times like this I wish I was still in grad school and had a mill, lathe, and broach to use. Prototyping parts in grad school was fun, but the fun went away when I had to do it for work. Somehow, work takes the fun out of stuff.

Short version is that you don't have parts yet because you're waiting for the approved stamp and you have access to machining tools.

200 bucks.

It's not hard as long as you do it right.
    got it. Thanks. :)

No, I don't have a kit of any kind. I only have some tooling that I bought from one supplier to make baffles from freeze plugs, and I'll buy freeze plugs from where ever I can find them. I suppose the market for parts and tooling has dried up since I originally got interested in this route back in 2016. I won't have any holes drilled or plugs formed into baffles until after the Form 1 is approved. I'll also have to reassemble my hydraulic press, which I put into storage when I left to work in Africa back then. I hope I can still find all the parts for the press.

As for the body, I'll see if I can find some "maker" workshop with a lathe. Does ATF require me to use tools I own, or can I borrow or rent machine tools? It's times like this I wish I was still in grad school and had a mill, lathe, and broach to use. Prototyping parts in grad school was fun, but the fun went away when I had to do it for work. Somehow, work takes the fun out of stuff.
    I bought my threaded tube and threaded end cap from supplier "A". My tri lug adaptor from supplier "B". My spacers from supplier "C" and my undrilled cones from supplier "D". I named all the suppliers and explained the use of a lathe for finishing.
    PM inbound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom