• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    When I send in the form 1 with the copy of my Trust, do I have to have the copy newly notarized with a raised embossed seal, or is just a photocopy of the original notorized trust okay?

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    Noataries DO NOT need to even use an embossed seal. As a matter of fact, most I have talked too prefer the embossed seal, UNLESS they know the document will need to be photocopied repeatedly, in which case they just use their ink stamp so it'll be easier to see. That or they tell you to lightly run a pencil over the embossing so it'll show better on the copy.

Maybe that was the issue? It didn't show up real well on the copy?

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I'm confused, if your doing a Form 1, you shouldn't be using a FFL. BTW, I sent in a photocopy of my embossed form.

The FFl who I'm purchasing the suppressor from was telling me how to do the form 1 and send it in to the ATF. He said that the copy of the trust needed to be also notarized with an embossed seal.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Noataries DO NOT need to even use an embossed seal. As a matter of fact, most I have talked too prefer the embossed seal, UNLESS they know the document will need to be photocopied repeatedly, in which case they just use their ink stamp so it'll be easier to see. That or they tell you to lightly run a pencil over the embossing so it'll show better on the copy.

Maybe that was the issue? It didn't show up real well on the copy?

The FFL I'm using hasn't even seen the Trust, we are doing this over the phone and through the mail. He just told me that the ATF needed the copy of my Trust to be notorized with an embossed seal even though the original is already notorized.

The notarization on the Trust has both an embossed seal and a stamp that has the Notaries information.

The next question, Since both my wife and I are listed as Trustee's on the Trust, do we both have to sign the form 1 or can only one of us do it?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The FFl who I'm purchasing the suppressor from was telling me how to do the form 1 and send it in to the ATF. He said that the copy of the trust needed to be also notarized with an embossed seal.

Yes, the notary seal needs to be visible on the photocopy.

The photocopy doesn't need to be re-notarized.

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    As stated before, the copy of the trust you send in with your forms DOES NOT need to be embossed. It only needs to be visible/readable notarization. If it is stamped then you're good, if it's embossed, you can either lightly hit the embossed seal with a pencil lead and then photocopy it so it shows OR get it re-embossed.

Only one Trustee needs to sign the form. While I've done two NFA forms on MY Trust, when I got the Trust and that first form, I lead a "Trust/Form 4 party" and coordinated the Trusts through the lawyer, and held everyone's hands through the form process, so I guess you could say, I've gotten 6 forms through the process.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    As stated before, the copy of the trust you send in with your forms DOES NOT need to be embossed. It only needs to be visible/readable notarization. If it is stamped then you're good, if it's embossed, you can either lightly hit the embossed seal with a pencil lead and then photocopy it so it shows OR get it re-embossed.

Only one Trustee needs to sign the form. While I've done two NFA forms on MY Trust, when I got the Trust and that first form, I lead a "Trust/Form 4 party" and coordinated the Trusts through the lawyer, and held everyone's hands through the form process, so I guess you could say, I've gotten 6 forms through the process.

Thanks! That's what I needed to know and what I did (with the pencil).
    I'm sure I'll have some more questions when I receive the form 1 from the FFL who is selling the suppressor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom