• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thoughts? About to get the last pieces for my first AR-15 build and trying to figure out the FA. Round or tear drop (like the old A1)?

I think I might like the look of the tear drop, but is the bit of extra size going to get in the way?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I like the teardrops based on the way they look. The teardrop is more prone to breaking the teardrop off, if struck with a hard object.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Pick which ever one you like. As for the teardrop style, if you hit one hard enough to break it off, you are either doing something wrong or are the incredible hulk.:D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Pick which ever one you like. As for the teardrop style, if you hit one hard enough to break it off, you are either doing something wrong or are the incredible hulk.:D

so you are saying I should go round then? :lol2:

My worries on catching is on clothing or stuff like that. I think it is $6-7 cheaper to go round pricing stuff out.

I think I am inclined to go tear drop based on looks, but round also means I could cap it with something...which I probably never would to be honest.

I just wasn't sure if ARs mostly switched to save a few cents on parts cost, because the tear drop was catching on stuff or to save a gram or two in weight or a little bit of everything.

G40guy

Sep 23, 2016
    was gonna say, I'm sure the FA doesn't cost much so buy both run the Tear and if its an issue switch

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    was gonna say, I'm sure the FA doesn't cost much so buy both run the Tear and if its an issue switch

I figure it can't be so much of an issue that I can just buy the other one later. Is rather not "waste" money if I can help it.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    so you are saying I should go round then? :lol2:

My worries on catching is on clothing or stuff like that. I think it is $6-7 cheaper to go round pricing stuff out.

I think I am inclined to go tear drop based on looks, but round also means I could cap it with something...which I probably never would to be honest.

I just wasn't sure if ARs mostly switched to save a few cents on parts cost, because the tear drop was catching on stuff or to save a gram or two in weight or a little bit of everything.

Just pick what you like. Anything that protrudes has the potential to snag on clothing or whatever.
    There are plugs that can be used to fill the hole where the forward assist goes and I have seen them on some rifles but, the overwhelming majority just keep the FA. Biggest issue I had with snagging was way back when I was in the service, it seemed like that *****d three prong flash hider would just find things to snag on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom