Fox Hunting with AR at Monocacy Nature Reserve?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    I may be going out tomorrow with some buddies and initially I thought we'd be doing Doves, but they told me they want to do fox now and all I have is an AR at the moment. Is that allowable? I've read the regs and it seems like it is, but I don't want any trouble tomorrow.

Thanks!

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Not sure of the legalities involved:

Fox is in season?
    You'll need to stay on the Fredric side of the river.
    Be aware, there are going to be people out there still trying to kill deer.

Yeah it's in season right now - I plan on keeping clear of late ML hunters. In the regs it says that rifles are allowed in all counties except XYZ for deer hunting. I'm just not sure if it means like rimfire only etc. My one friend seems to think it won't be allowed.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    When it says for deer it applies to deer only. You can use the AR for groundhogs, fox, coyotes, etc in all counties except where otherwise prohibited. Certain lands such as Liberty Res., urban area of Montgomery County etc.

You will need a fur bearer stamp though.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    When it says for deer it applies to deer only. You can use the AR for groundhogs, fox, coyotes, etc in all counties except where otherwise prohibited. Certain lands such as Liberty Res., urban area of Montgomery County etc.

And keep in mind since it is public land, check what is allowed for that specific reserve, park,WMA, etc. none in Howard or Montgomery allow rifles on public land and only one in Carroll allows rifles (Hanover). I think most in Frederick allow rifles. Keep in mind when it is mentioning the public land allowance, unless it says deer, it means rifles are BANNED (include rimfire sadly) for any game.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I looked it up for you, Monocacy is bow, ML and shotgun only. Nearby Seneca creek river road area allows all fire arms. Rest of Seneca creek is bow or Bow, ml and shotgun only and patuxent is bow, ML and shotgun only. Sigh. Maybe I'll try the river road area of Seneca (I really want to find an area near me I can take my 22lr squirrel/rabbit hunting).

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    And keep in mind since it is public land, check what is allowed for that specific reserve, park,WMA, etc. none in Howard or Montgomery allow rifles on public land and only one in Carroll allows rifles (Hanover). I think most in Frederick allow rifles. Keep in mind when it is mentioning the public land allowance, unless it says deer, it means rifles are BANNED (include rimfire sadly) for any game.

Thanks guys I hate how complicated MD has to be. I have a fyr bearer permit. My friend I'm going with always tells me he's gonna bring me coyote hunting with him so I buy it every year...guess how many times I've been? :rolleyes:

I also have soft points so I'm in compliance with that too. If what you're saying about monocacy is true then that sucks ...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Neighbor pointed out Fredrick only recently allowed rifles in the other half of the county. So DNRs website for Monocacy might now be out of date. Call DNR to ask. It may now be allowed (but also just because all of Fredneck allows rifles doesn't mean all public lands do).

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    If you find a place to hunt foxes and use the AR, tell me what the soft points do to the fur. I am curious about the exit hole.

If you have a buddy with a turkey shotgun, ask to borrow it and use #4 shot (no steel shot though, and not #4 buck either- turkey load #4), that will get you on the shotgun only places. You can get hits at 30 yards easily.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Thanks for the tip Foxtrapper.

I just heard back from DNR for clarification:

Question about fox hunting in Monocacy Nature Reserve
    Tracey Spencer -DNR- <tracey.spencer@maryland.gov> Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 11:29 AM
    To: xxxxxxxxxx <xxxxxxx@gmail.com>
    Hello Sxxxxx,

It is legal to use an AR platform (.223 cal.) rifle to hunt fox in Maryland. Full metal jacket and other military type rounds are not legal, though. Your ammo must have an expanding bullet (e.g. soft point, ballistic tip, etc.). You will also need to obtain a furbearer stamp if you haven't already. Good luck!

Harry Spiker
    Game Mammal Section Leader
    MD DNR, Wildlife & Heritage Service
    (301) 334-4255

Sincerely,

Tracey Spencer
    Assistant to the Director,
    Wildlife and Heritage Service
    Office: 410.260.8564
    Fax: 410.260.8596
    tracey.spencer@maryland.gov

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 11:35 AM, xxxxxxxx <xxxxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
    Good Morning,

I was reading through all of the regs and I can't seem to confirm if it is alright to hunt foxes with an AR-15 (.223 caliber). I believe it is, but would appreciate confirmation before I venture out.

Thanks!

outrider58

Call me Gee
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks for the tip Foxtrapper.

I just heard back from DNR for clarification:

Question about fox hunting in Monocacy Nature Reserve
    Tracey Spencer -DNR- <tracey.spencer@maryland.gov> Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 11:29 AM
    To: xxxxxxxxxx <xxxxxxx@gmail.com>
    Hello Sxxxxx,

It is legal to use an AR platform (.223 cal.) rifle to hunt fox in Maryland. Full metal jacket and other military type rounds are not legal, though. Your ammo must have an expanding bullet (e.g. soft point, ballistic tip, etc.). You will also need to obtain a furbearer stamp if you haven't already. Good luck!

Harry Spiker
    Game Mammal Section Leader
    MD DNR, Wildlife & Heritage Service
    (301) 334-4255

Sincerely,

Tracey Spencer
    Assistant to the Director,
    Wildlife and Heritage Service
    Office: 410.260.8564
    Fax: 410.260.8596
    tracey.spencer@maryland.gov

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 11:35 AM, xxxxxxxx <xxxxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
    Good Morning,

I was reading through all of the regs and I can't seem to confirm if it is alright to hunt foxes with an AR-15 (.223 caliber). I believe it is, but would appreciate confirmation before I venture out.

Thanks!

Cool. Thanks for passing that along.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom