• ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OK,
    Delton HBAR dissipator upper.
    I've been using that upper for past couple years with the bolt that came with the kit and bouncing it around several different lowers including I believe the lower I'm using right now with it.
    I'd had it set aside as I was playing musical chairs with bolts and tubes and buffers and such.
    Well, right now, I have the upper with some new parts and the kids are not playing nice
    Shooting My own plinking Reloads that I've not had this problem with before.
    Delton Upper
    Spikes Lower
    PSA bolt and charging handle
    Buffer tube, buffer and spring that I don't recall where I got a year ago (maybe a gun show?)
    3 different mags , a 10 round metal, 30 round metal and PMag

I can easily pull bolts, charging handles and buffers & Buffer springs from my other ARs and put into zip lock bags and swap to see what the issue is.

Just wondering if someone can look at the pic and say. "oh, thats the ....."

If I shot 10 rounds, it would either do this, not chamber a round or the bolt would not stay back all the way on the last round sometimes.

Suggestions before I play muscal AR parts to troubleshoot?

I wish I took a picture of it jammed but the tip was into the chamber but the rim was down by the mag. The bolt was jammed into that dent it created. Its like the bolt slipped off the rim as it was loading then the bolt face jammed into the case just below the neck.

Attachments

• franken jam.jpg
      franken jam.jpg
      56.6 KB · Views: 435

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Being a Frankenrifle, the problem is clearly the neck and bolt.

Now that we've sewn that up, I'm going with short stroking.

But you'll need to figure out whether it's gas related from the upper (reloads) or recoil spring/buffer related from the lower (too much tension).

Lubed up well? Don't want to leave scars.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I will add my plinking load is
    25g H335, Xtreme bullets 55g fmj

If you're not married to that recipe and have room to bump the charge up a bit, try it.

See if the extra gas will correct the problem.

PS: Just checked. Maximum load for a 55 grain bullet is 22.7 grains of H335 powder. 53,000 PSI

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If you're not married to that recipe and have room to bump the charge up a bit, try it.

See if the extra gas will correct the problem.

PS: Just checked. Max is 22.7 for a 55 grain bullet and H335 powder. 53,000 PSI

where are you looking?

Lee manual has a generic FMJ 55g at 25.3 Max
    I think your jumping the gun here, this is a pretty standard well used load for a generic 55g FMJ

BTW, I have LOTS of it already loaded and it shot fine out of that upper plenty of times, so I'm planning to troubleshoot the problem looking first at the parts that were newly introduced to the system. I've looked for pressure signs many times before and Nada.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I think your jumping the gun here, this is a pretty standard well used load for a generic 55g FMJ
    where are you looking?

BTW, I have LOTS of it already loaded and it shot fine out of that upper plenty of times, so I'm planning to troubleshoot the problem looking first at the parts that were newly introduced to the system.

Hodgdon Reloading On-Line and My Hornady Manual. But lawyers could be involved with the data...

50 grains looks OK with that charge.

Just trying to be helpful. Be safe.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Always willing to stand corrected. And I do so now.

I looked at a Barnes bullet load and read no further.

Good find. And thanks for the correction.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    where are you looking?

Lee manual has a generic FMJ 55g at 25.3 Max

BTW, I have LOTS of it already loaded and it shot fine out of that upper plenty of times, so I'm planning to troubleshoot the problem looking first at the parts that were newly introduced to the system. I've looked for pressure signs many times before and Nada.
    I run 25.3gr of H335 in my varmint AR, no issues and it is very accurate.

Did you try a different mag?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Dont troubleshoot a gun with reloads.

If it runs with brass cased factory ammo, then your loads are the problem. It appears to be undergassed. If its a rifle lebgth gas dissipator, they run on the ragged edge of reliability.

Springco reduced power buffer/axtion spring or a lighter buffer may help.

As mentioned, the gas rings may be fubar.

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I pulled the bolt on this AR.
    As mentioned, the BCG is new
    Bolt has MPI marked on it. I noticed the bolt is a bit tight as I move it in and out. I guess maybe its needs some break in time.
    I also pulled the bolt from my pre 2013 A4 profile upper I have which was a surplus purchase. This one moved pretty freely. However it only had 2 gas rings on it.

So, here is a list of stuff I'll bring with me on next range trip.
    Original Franken AR
    3 additional Bolt Carrier Groups
    3 additional Buffers & Springs (All Carbine)
    2 additional mags (gen 3 pmags)
    2 different types of Factory Ammo (I think I have some Remington and American Eagle)

I'll start off with the original parts and shoot 1 round at a time looking for bolt being held open all the way.
    Then I'll look at different BCGs (if certain BCG makes the problem go away, I'll look at lube on the new BCG)
    Next will be buffers and springs
    Factory Ammo is likely the last thing I'll try

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Ask for advice/ignore advice:sad20:

Because I won't start with factory ammo?

I like to hear what people have to say and make my own conclusions.
    I'll learn something in the end for sure. Maybe it will be the ammo, or maybe it will be something else.

Initially as said in the original post, I was looking to see if there was some obvious "oh, thats the ....".
    I don't think I got that kind of an answer, bBut a list of top 3 things
    Ammo
    Gas Rings
    Mags (as mentioned, I did already try 3 different mags that I had)
    More Lube

I have re-read the entire thread again and edited what I plan to do.
    Right now, I plan to do everything on the list one at a time and think that by the time I get to the end, I'll have learned something about the situation I have that I don't know now.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I pulled the bolt on this AR.
    As mentioned, the BCG is new
    Bolt has MPI marked on it. I noticed the bolt is a bit tight as I move it in and out. I guess maybe its needs some break in time.
    I also pulled the bolt from my pre 2013 A4 profile upper I have which was a surplus purchase. This one moved pretty freely. However it only had 2 gas rings on it.

So, here is a list of stuff I'll bring with me on next range trip.
    Original Franken AR
    3 additional Bolt Carrier Groups
    3 additional Buffers & Springs (All Carbine)
    2 additional mags (gen 3 pmags)
    2 different types of Factory Ammo (I think I have some Remington and American Eagle)

I'll start off with the original parts and shoot 1 round at a time looking for bolt being held open all the way.
    Then I'll look at different BCGs
    Next will be buffers and springs
    Factory Ammo is likely the last thing I'll try

Completely backwards.

Im out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit