• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Previous points about not attending are valid, however when vendors have inventory and decide to charge prices that are higher than available at LGS aren't the vendors nailing their own coffins closed? We all understand supply and demand but if a local gun shop has supply, gun show vendors cannot expect consumers to support their greed.
    Just a thought.

When I was in HS in another hobby, I worked for a store, Shows were where we moved a LOT of inventory. Prices were cut about 3-5%. It was amazing how people went there and purchased things for s slim discount. I got $50 for the day in cash and that was a lot for me as a teen in the 80's.

I go to shows (could not go to this one) due to scheduling. Often I see interesting things as a collector and do it for the experience. I'll try to make the ones I can.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I have been saying that for a while.
    Not even talking about internet sales,, we are talking about vendors jacking prices ~20-50% for the shows above LGS prices.
    Why would I buy an Anderson lower for $200 at a show, when I can buy an Aero Precision M4E1 lower at the LGS for $114 ??

That said SCSG is the ONLY vendor I have seen at MD shows with solid prices. They allways seam to have some 7.62x39 below market pricing :)

Previous points about not attending are valid, however when vendors have inventory and decide to charge prices that are higher than available at LGS aren't the vendors nailing their own coffins closed? We all understand supply and demand but if a local gun shop has supply, gun show vendors cannot expect consumers to support their greed.
    Just a thought.

b-troll

FNG
    Sep 16, 2012
    Piney Orchard
    I generally don’t go to gun shows. I didn’t go in the 2010s either except on rare occasions. I went when I had money to spend and knew what I wanted.

I enjoy my lgs visits, but they don’t charge me $8 to walk in the door and $5 for parking. If they don’t have what I want or a reasonable alternative we can discuss ordering it.

I’m not saying I wouldn’t miss the gun shows but my time is more limited with family obligations that I don’t spend 3 hours on a given Saturday to look at discount beef jerky. A used Ruger GP100 in .357, sure! Confederate accoutrements, not really my bag.

Demand is up and supply is down. I’ll wait until it reverses that condition.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There is actually no reason, at this time, to go to Md gun shows. A win for Merryland.
    It's like having sex with your ex wife for old times sake. F that!

VRC Racing

MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2009
    Ijamsville
    There is actually no reason, at this time, to go to Md gun shows. A win for Merryland.

I disagree with this statement. We need to show our support to our local vendors and the community in general.

I went today. I agree the turnout was poor for both customers and vendors. But I enjoyed the walk and getting a chance to be around like minded people. I saw the same three over priced colt ar's that I have been looking at for a year.

I do enjoy looking at all the items. I always find something of interest. I did not buy anything today. I will be at the next show in PA and then to Howard county. Who knows what hidden gold I will find.

I was going to buy some silver. But, as many have already said I can do better buying online.

-Russ

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I disagree with this statement. We need to show our support to our local vendors and the community in general.

I went today. I agree the turnout was poor for both customers and vendors. But I enjoyed the walk and getting a chance to be around like minded people. I saw the same three over priced colt ar's that I have been looking at for a year.

I do enjoy looking at all the items. I always find something of interest. I did not buy anything today. I will be at the next show in PA and then to Howard county. Who knows what hidden gold I will find.

I was going to buy some silver. But, as many have already said I can do better buying online.

-Russ

So you agree?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    There is no right answer

Go to the shows - promoter shows they can draw people in with 10% firearms vendors supplemented by 90% beef jerky and al Qaeda cells selling Chinese knives. So they continue to do this because they're selling tickets and try no harder.

Don't go to the shows - they dwindle and disappear and the Left wins another notch.

I swear the only reason I make time for any Maryland show anymore is to talk to Brian, seriously.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    The lecturing in this thread is hilarious. I can literally walk into a local shop and pay a reasonable price for parts, like a lower, as mentioned. I do it all the time and support my local shops. Why? Because it's convenient and reasonably priced. In fact, some of them care enough to take on more inventory to keep the customer happy.

Trying to justify high show prices is really pathetic to say the least. Let the shows go out of business. Even a "bargain" isn't really a bargain when I pay admission for me and my sons. It's become a place where people that don't know better go to spend money..and the dealers are happy to take advantage of them.

Free market you say? I agree...it works both ways. Dealers are free to charge what they want and I'm free to tell people the show is a ripoff.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    I have been saying that for a while.
    Not even talking about internet sales,, we are talking about vendors jacking prices ~20-50% for the shows above LGS prices.
    Why would I buy an Anderson lower for $200 at a show, when I can buy an Aero Precision M4E1 lower at the LGS for $114 ??

That said SCSG is the ONLY vendor I have seen at MD shows with solid prices. They allways seam to have some 7.62x39 below market pricing :)

Now I'll throw this out there, I am one of a VERY few actual firearms dealers there. The one main culprit that most seem to complain about is known for being VERY overpriced on what he sells. There are some people (Walmart weasels) as i call them that go and buy any and all ammo they can find at Walmart and Basspro and bring it to the shows at huge markups. Those guys are now continually hauling most of what they brought home because ammo prices have somewhat stabilized. Most everyone has kind words to say about us and our prices and we appreciate it, we try hard to be very competitive on pricing. and by that i mean below retail on pretty much anything. if anyone thinks I am getting rich by owning a shop, jokes on you! there isn't a whole lot of profit to be made if you want to be competitive with the internet and still turn over inventory. There will be a time when people miss the crappy ole MD shows.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    I generally don’t go to gun shows. I didn’t go in the 2010s either except on rare occasions. I went when I had money to spend and knew what I wanted.

I enjoy my lgs visits, but they don’t charge me $8 to walk in the door and $5 for parking. If they don’t have what I want or a reasonable alternative we can discuss ordering it.

I’m not saying I wouldn’t miss the gun shows but my time is more limited with family obligations that I don’t spend 3 hours on a given Saturday to look at discount beef jerky. A used Ruger GP100 in .357, sure! Confederate accoutrements, not really my bag.

Demand is up and supply is down. I’ll wait until it reverses that condition.

There is never a parking fee at MD shows! Know what your saying before poopooing on our shows. If $8.00 breaks your wallet you probably shouldn't be buying guns anyway.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    The lecturing in this thread is hilarious. I can literally walk into a local shop and pay a reasonable price for parts, like a lower, as mentioned. I do it all the time and support my local shops. Why? Because it's convenient and reasonably priced. In fact, some of them care enough to take on more inventory to keep the customer happy.

Trying to justify high show prices is really pathetic to say the least. Let the shows go out of business. Even a "bargain" isn't really a bargain when I pay admission for me and my sons. It's become a place where people that don't know better go to spend money..and the dealers are happy to take advantage of them.

Free market you say? I agree...it works both ways. Dealers are free to charge what they want and I'm free to tell people the show is a ripoff.

Who here is justifying high prices?

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Who here is justifying high prices?

Is supporting a gun show that has overpriced items justification?

My point is I'd rather walk in your shop and support your business if your prices are fair. You made a comment about $8 breaking someones wallet then they probably shouldn't be buying guns. I'd say if a couple of gun shows a year are the reason you stay in business then you should go ahead and close your doors.

We know that isn't the case of course. You're doing it to support the show. That's admirable but not necessarily good for business or the industry. I'll let you in on a little secret. The shows are already dead. They've been dead for years.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Is supporting a gun show that has overpriced items justification?

My point is I'd rather walk in your shop and support your business if your prices are fair. You made a comment about $8 breaking someones wallet then they probably shouldn't be buying guns. I'd say if a couple of gun shows a year are the reason you stay in business then you should go ahead and close your doors.

We know that isn't the case of course. You're doing it to support the show. That's admirable but not necessarily good for business or the industry. I'll let you in on a little secret. The shows are already dead. They've been dead for years.

I'll let you in on a little secret, the shows may be dead to you but not the others that DO attend. I'm done with all the nay sayers on here. Enjoy, i'm signing off before I get banned from here.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I'm with Brian, if nobody goes to the shows, the vendors will stop coming and the promoters will stop having them.
    I agree that many vendors are charging higher than online or their shop prices.
    It cost money to rent tables, have manpower to pack up inventory, move/set at a show, man the show, then break it down and restock your shop. Most of you have never been in involived in running a business.
    I'm in construction estimating, I have bid jobs where a 2X4 cost $2 when I bid it and got the contract signed and then the cost of a 2X4 shoots up to $8 each and you have you try to get the project done without losing your A$$.
    Most shops are most likely just breaking even on these shows, if not losing money on these shows, but betting on future customers in their stores.
    I plan on being there in the morning.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    The show was small. I had a good time. I didn't buy anything this trip but i enjoyed looking.

One of the guys i was with got a 22 target gun that can't be found online right now. The price was high compared to years past but below MSRP. He was a very happy buyer.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I still go to the MD Shows, almost always I find a firearm or 2 that interests me enough to at least consider.
    I have noticed since the background check law came out there seems to be a lack of venders that set up selling their private collections, I have a couple dozen rifles and shotguns that came from this type of vendor.
    Don't know what the solution is to MD Shows, I do hope they find a way to survive and grow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom