• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    Seems like the majority of people here moved away from the place years ago or just avoid it like the plague because of what it has become in the last 20 years. I remember going to there in the 90s when it was not only a nicer place but really the only place to go shopping if you lived in st.marys. The entire somd area changed drastically for the worse when the tobacco buyout happened, waldorf is just the worst example of it.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    "Ghetto" you obviously are not a local. I can so how you many 3/4 of a Million dollar homes and plus in that community. Mine to be included. Jack ass get a clue.

Sir, you seem to be in complete denial. I hope you turn a profit on your home when it comes time to leave. You will one day wake up to the reality.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Man oh Man,,, You are a $hit load of trouble now,,, can't speak the truth ya know!

As someone who lived in Waldorf since birth until a few years ago (minus 6 years in the 90’s), I can say without a shred of doubt that the mall or any other location has nothing to do with the ongoing ruination of a once great place to live. “Magic dirt” is comical at best. A simple graph showing the changing demographics vs crime statistics is all that’s needed to see what exactly is behind the vast majority of crime.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I avoid Waldorf for the traffic and there is no retail in the mall that has anything to sell that I care to buy. As there are only chain restaurants in the Dorf, the only reason for me to eat out there is because others decided on the location. But there is no place in the retail strip from Freds on south that I wouldn't go to in the daytime. Yeah, don't leave a laptop in the backseat of your car at the mall, but that's hardly specific to that mall.

Oddly enough, by family income Chuck Co is one of the 10 wealthiest counties in the US. From my perch, that is the result of the large number of households with two public employees as income earners. Fed+Teacher, Cop+Teacher, Cop+Fed, Teacher+Teacher etc. The numbers add up quickly. So while you have plenty of 500k+ housing, you also have swaths of the old St Charles that are getting dilapidated.

As PG went down the crapper, people started moving south. Along with the good people who moved away from the trouble, unfortunately some of the criminal element came along with them. Often cousins or nephews or their teenagers friends. If you follow the crime blotter, the arrestees in the neighborhood violence are often enough from illustrious places like Landover or District Heights.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    It is so political correct that everyone is afraid to say one thing: it is one ethnic group that commits 80% of the crime causing this frigging problem!

Texas solo

Mar 5, 2021
    It is so political correct that everyone is afraid to say one thing: it is one ethnic group that commits 80% of the crime causing this frigging problem!

Amen. I lived in Waldorf from 89 - 92. Close friend as a Deputy. So many pursuits to & from PG County. Always the same "ethnic group". Still is. Moved to St Mary's 1992. Way better until about 2005, then it started getting bad too.
    2007 moved to San Antonio TX. Much better until about 2017. The illegals have ruined it now. San Antonio is now 70% Mexican. Crime has soared. Moved to Alabama 2019.
    Red necks & bubbas don't do crime. Happy again.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    I know an area is "Done" when the "3 abreast dump trucks" show up,, Dorf was taken over by the dump trucks a good year or 2 ago.
    Used to be Rt 4 through upper Marlboro, but once they ruined that area they moved on to 301 in dorf,,

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    ^^ no, you know the area is done when there’s a used tire store on every corner.......... like Waldorf.

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    Grew up in West Charles County.

Would have to date the "Jump the shark" moment for the 'dorf at about the time the area between 228 and the mall got developed.

Much prefer LaPlata now.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
    We've been in Chuck county since 78. Waldorf first, and La Plata for 20+. We've seen a lot of change, and certainly not all for the best. My wife and I have been planning our escape from MD for years, and we hope to be gone by the end of summer.

We definitely want to be out of here before this thing gets much further along. Initial clearing is underway, and to pile it higher and deeper, it is a DR Horton project. :sad20: :outta her

https://images4.loopnet.com/d2/ZPL-2i5eDMZ6iZAevcjc-0JOsUmBXrEzFelLdzHwciM/document.pdf

"The fully entitled property known as Heritage Green is a 1,034
    acre land assemblage master-planned for mixed-use development
    consisting of 3,170 residential units, a 125 acre commercial
    center that will encompass over 1.5 million square feet and three
    village centers with retail, office and hospitality uses."

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    We've been in Chuck county since 78. Waldorf first, and La Plata for 20+. We've seen a lot of change, and certainly not all for the best. My wife and I have been planning our escape from MD for years, and we hope to be gone by the end of summer.

We definitely want to be out of here before this thing gets much further along. Initial clearing is underway, and to pile it higher and deeper, it is a DR Horton project. :sad20: :outta her

https://images4.loopnet.com/d2/ZPL-2i5eDMZ6iZAevcjc-0JOsUmBXrEzFelLdzHwciM/document.pdf

"The fully entitled property known as Heritage Green is a 1,034
    acre land assemblage master-planned for mixed-use development
    consisting of 3,170 residential units, a 125 acre commercial
    center that will encompass over 1.5 million square feet and three
    village centers with retail, office and hospitality uses."

You gotta be F-ing kidding me!!!! 3170 new homes?!!

They aren’t going to stop until RT 301 / RT 5 is at a standstill and every acre is built on!

Okay, now that I am at my desktop, I can make the post I really wanted to do in the first place.

Grew up in Western Charles County in the 1970s-80s. Going to Waldorf was a big deal in my family, usually it was a weekend trip to Sears Surplus with an occasional meal from the Burger Chef or McDonalds. Prior to Waldorf growing up, my parents would have to drive up to Washington DC to buy stuff (my older siblings mention the Sears that used to be on Alabama Avenue) and later Marlow Heights/Iverson Mall before stuff became available in Waldorf.

I remember when the mall first opened, the logic was that it would give Chuck residents the opportunity to stay close rather than drive out to Iverson/Landmark/Springfield/Landover. It seemed to work out okay until the Internet came along and people started avoiding malls.

I've changed my mind about the "Jump the Shark" Moment for Waldorf: It was when the old Wigwam/Walls Bakery building was demolished. The slots era provided a lot of cool midcentury construction to the area, and a bunch of it got knocked down over the decades. This postcard is of one of the last big holdouts, there are smaller places but its tough to tell their slot machine past.

Then to top it all off, in addition to the sprawl along Route 301, Brandywine had to get into the act with that massive shopping Center with a Costco that pretty much kills traffic on 301/5 dead.

---------------

As for Fred's, does anyone else remember the previous robbery, fire, and subsequent literal "Fire Sale"? I remember picking up a couple of rifle racks and ammo with the cash I had on me (had I more, I would've loaded up on ammo). Was interesting seeing guys lining up to buy fire-damaged guns.

I figured the rebuilt building who have been seriously hardened against robberies, particularly ramming ones. What the heck do I know?

Attachments

• Waldorf Restaurant.jpg
      Waldorf Restaurant.jpg
      69.1 KB · Views: 386

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads