• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    Anyone have a suggested source for "free range" pork, beef, or poltry in Southern or Western Maryland....maybe something Amish.....freezer is pretty empty and wanted to stock up for the winter on half a hog and/or a dozen chickens and/or some beef.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I guess squeegee long pork in Windex marinade isn't on the menu?

Sorry, I'm already going to hell, so I figured I'd take the scenic route.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    My wife called me early this morning from her car as she was going to work.. she said she was still sitting in the driveway and a crew of deer were walking past her, heading along our fence line from across the street, into the woods next to us.

I was still in my bathrobe (retired) and drinking coffee at the ‘puter upstairs. Wouldn’t take much to open a window and fire a slug out. But she was still there in the driveway marveling at the meat on the hooves. No dice this time.

Putting up one of my old game cameras on a tripod tonight, to peer and photo on the other side of the fence.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    My wife called me early this morning from her car as she was going to work.. she said she was still sitting in the driveway and a crew of deer were walking past her, heading along our fence line from across the street, into the woods next to us.

I was still in my bathrobe (retired) and drinking coffee at the ‘puter upstairs. Wouldn’t take much to open a window and fire a slug out. But she was still there in the driveway marveling at the meat on the hooves. No dice this time.

Putting up one of my old game cameras on a tripod tonight, to peer and photo on the other side of the fence.

Way ahead of you there, I usually take one or two from the back yard every year....but man does not live on venison alone.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I have noticed that the number of vehicles parked in the special bow hunters parking areas on Fair Hill NRMA are busier than past years. Price of meat is causing some people to try to stock up.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I have noticed that the number of vehicles parked in the special bow hunters parking areas on Fair Hill NRMA are busier than past years. Price of meat is causing some people to try to stock up.
    Yes, but IMHO you don't get a lot of meat from a deer. As compared to cattle. Every bit helps though if you have to resort to wild game for food on the table.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Get a hunting license, deer meat is the quickest way to fill the freezer.

In the spring, get some chickens. They will eat all of the bugs in your yard in SoMD.

Fishing is still good in SoMD also.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Stauffer's in So.MD is an Amish nursery and produce (eggs, honey, cheese, bees, fruit and veggies) market on rt5 1/4 mile past the Loveville RD intersection. Every spring he sells cattle at $3 per pound on the hoof and will deliver it to a local Amish butcher who charges like $1 or so per pound unless you want extras. It came out to about $525 ish per finished lb. last June. 1/4, 1/2 or wholes. The butcher will also do pork but you supply the pig. The beef is grass fed, the veggies are all organic. Stauffer's is the supplier for most of the local nurseries in So. MD. You can get a flat of veggie plant for around $12 that would cost $40 at a regular retailer.

There is another Amish farmer who sells free range turkeys for $2/lb for Thanksgiving and Christmas off of Bishop RD, (follow the turkey signs). PM me for the addy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom