• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I've been going to the BelAir Gun Range ( formerly Horst and McCann ) for the last few years. On weekdays I get a lane EVERY TIME I go. All the guys there are great especially the owner, Mike Horst.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Do they still require no exposed lead?

I went there a few years ago, and they hit me with that, so I said find, see you, bye.

They talked and talked, and finally let me shoot my cast lead rounds.

Funny, as they allowed plated bullets, like Berrys.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I stay away from Freestate.

Not because of the wait, but because I had a rifle transferred through them. Yes, it was in 13 when there were long waits on Form 77 firearms.

But when I went to pick it up (about 2 days after it arrived), they wanted to charge me more than they quoted. When I questioned the change, they tried to tell me it was because they had to buy more safes to hold all the stuff on hold.

I told them that they quoted a price, and that is what I would pay. If they wanted to charge more, they should quote a higher price for the future.

Went around and around for almost 30 minutes, and after I told them to ship it back, they finally agreed to charge what they had quoted.

I will take my business elsewhere.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Do they still require no exposed lead?

I went there a few years ago, and they hit me with that, so I said find, see you, bye.

They talked and talked, and finally let me shoot my cast lead rounds.

Funny, as they allowed plated bullets, like Berrys.

They have lightened up considerably on their ammo policy but.....I'm not sure about the lead ammo.
    ( don't use it so don't know)

Toxicjin

Feb 8, 2018
    Forest Hill, Md.
    Long waits at Free State are not uncommon. A very popular place.

I find myself these days using Continental Arms. Been a long time since I had to wait there for a lane.

I live closer to Freestate but I also go to Continental Arms. I like Freestate, but I didn't like the waiting. It's good business for them though. I can only go to the range on the weekends (mostly), and I've never waited for a lane at Continental. Very friendly folks as well.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I live closer to Freestate but I also go to Continental Arms. I like Freestate, but I didn't like the waiting. It's good business for them though. I can only go to the range on the weekends (mostly), and I've never waited for a lane at Continental. Very friendly folks as well.

A lot of date nights happen at free state and thugs in training also. I have seen a lot of gangsta stances you know glock point down range with grip in the 3 or 9 o clock position.

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    I go to Freestate about once a month. Weekdays - mid day, no problem. I've been in at night and on weekends for training, and they get pretty busy. I'm not good at waiting in lines, and killing time somewhere that sells firearms is likely an expensive proposition. :-)

Probably not a bad idea to call first.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They have lightened up considerably on their ammo policy but.....I'm not sure about the lead ammo.
    ( don't use it so don't know)

May have to call and see.

I loaded up 1000 plated .45 ACP.

And now days, 9mm factory is so cheap, it hardly pays to reload it.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    May have to call and see.

I loaded up 1000 plated .45 ACP.

And now days, 9mm factory is so cheap, it hardly pays to reload it.

I’ve been there several times over the past few months. They’ve said nothing about my regular FMJ rounds.

I believe the TMJ policy went away not long after Freestate opened and undoubtedly took business away from them. Imagine that.

That being said, that was under the old regime. New ownership now. I’ll actually go there, instead of Freestate, now, since I’m right around the corner. I go in the weekday mornings, and there are very few shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I’ve been there several times over the past few months. They’ve said nothing about my regular FMJ rounds.

I believe the TMJ policy went away not long after Freestate opened and undoubtedly took business away from them. Imagine that.

That being said, that was under the old regime. New ownership now. I’ll actually go there, instead of Freestate, now, since I’m right around the corner. I go in the weekday mornings, and there are very few shooters.

I do know that the "TMJ Policy" is gone. I believe their only restriction is still steel core...... but call and ask first.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    I’d break down and buy land in WV before I would wait 2hrs for a lane at Free State.
    When I took courses over there people were waiting so long they were ordering pizza and playing cards.
    Horst & McCann or now called Bel Air Gun range iirc seems to have much lower wait times but I wouldn’t know just thankful I have land to shoot on.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I’d break down and buy land in WV before I would wait 2hrs for a lane at Free State.
    When I took courses over there people were waiting so long they were ordering pizza and playing cards.
    Horst & McCann or now called Bel Air Gun range iirc seems to have much lower wait times but I wouldn’t know just thankful I have land to shoot on.

So when are you inviting us over to shoot???????

:D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I do know that the "TMJ Policy" is gone. I believe their only restriction is still steel core...... but call and ask first.

I used to shoot there MANY years ago.

I will check it out. A bit closer than my club range (SLCFSA), and indoors for inclimate weather.

Laj

Dec 5, 2016
    As others have stated, Freestate is fanstastic and rarely a wait if you show up weekdays before 6:00PM and within an hour of opening time on weekends.
    I generally go on Tuesday mornings and am the only shooter on the range but I understand most people have a more “normal” work schedule than I do.
    Avoid date nights as the level of supervision can’t possibly make up for the level of inexperience in that range. Always call before you drive over to check wait times and make sure there won’t be a security guard class/qualification on the range with you. Those are terrifying. Terrible muzzle awareness and lots of ceiling shots.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Well I went to Freestate today to only be told it was a 2 1/2 hour wait, probably closer to 3 hours. I headed over to Continental and got a lane immediately. First time I've been to Continental and I'll definitely be back. Not waiting for that long at Freestate any longer.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Well I went to Freestate today to only be told it was a 2 1/2 hour wait, probably closer to 3 hours. I headed over to Continental and got a lane immediately. First time I've been to Continental and I'll definitely be back. Not waiting for that long at Freestate any longer.

What time did you get there, I went early, 9:45, only waited for doors to open.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD

Yeah F that!

jrh0341

Jul 20, 2017
    I’m speaking as probably an exception but I’ve been quite lucky. I’ve gone on weekends, and on weeknights. I have never run into a wait. A few times its been busy but there was usually at least one lane open.

I’ve also had a sight job done there. The prices were reasonable and the work was good and fast.

I would definitely recomend the place.

The only ammo check i’ve had done was either looking at the box or running a magnet over the bag. That said, I’m usually shooting the same brands they carry themselves (federal, blazer, whatever other known brand is cheap on LUckygunner that week)

Now what I wouldn’t do is sales transactions. Retail prices seem pretty high and ffl does too. Auction sites and a local independent FFL are the way to go imo. For the life of me, I can’t figure why anyone would pay counter prices if they knew any better.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    What time did you get there, I went early, 9:45, only waited for doors to open.

I got there about 1pm. I usually get there around that time since weekends are the only time I can get up that way. Most times I wait an hour on average, but that is about the max I'm willing to stand around. When we walked in, it did not look like a lot of people and definitely less than the days I've waited for an hour. Not sure what was going on to make it close to 3.

I’m speaking as probably an exception but I’ve been quite lucky. I’ve gone on weekends, and on weeknights. I have never run into a wait. A few times its been busy but there was usually at least one lane open.

I’ve also had a sight job done there. The prices were reasonable and the work was good and fast.

I would definitely recomend the place.

The only ammo check i’ve had done was either looking at the box or running a magnet over the bag. That said, I’m usually shooting the same brands they carry themselves (federal, blazer, whatever other known brand is cheap on LUckygunner that week)

Now what I wouldn’t do is sales transactions. Retail prices seem pretty high and ffl does too. Auction sites and a local independent FFL are the way to go imo. For the life of me, I can’t figure why anyone would pay counter prices if they knew any better.

You're talking about Freestate or Continental? Freestate has always had high retail prices. Their range fee's were reasonable though. Continental's were better though. There are plenty of IP's here that have a lot better pricing than Freestate. I still like their range and happy for them being busy, but I'm just not waiting in lines like that any longer. I wish I could go on weekdays, but it's too far of a drive to get up and back then go back to wrok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom