• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Dude...Please

I sat in a classroom for 8 hours watching power point and NO hands on training was given so you're wrong. There were some people that may not have even fired a weapon and they got a Utah CCW

Unless one of MD Shooters Industry Partners is stuping the system.:innocent0

Read what I wrote. I'm not wrong. :) (Edit: Looks like I was partially wrong)

Both FL and UT require training above and beyond the safety video required by MD to purchase a regulated gun if you aren't otherwise "qualified" to do so. I'm not saying this training bestows upon the consumer flawless proficiency, but it's more than making sure you can dump a mag without putting a hole in yourself or someone else.

Just saying. :)

Even if you sat in a classroom for eight hours for the UT permit, you did more than watch the ~20 minute safety video online, correct? I didn't know and am surprised that UT doesn't require live fire. I know FL got more stringent with their training requirements in the last 1-2 years, too. Though they don't specifically require live fire by name, most/all of the accepted training requires such (DD214, NRA Basic Pistol, LEO, etc).

My larger point: Having any number of permits to carry does not necessarily make you proficient at operating a firearm in a safe manner, but the two permits I named earlier require more of the applicant than does MD. Either way, it's up to Free State to determine the particulars of allowing holster draw, if at all. It's also up to us as the consumer to determine if we're comfortable with what they decide.

No Arguing...

Classroom time and a CCW doesn't mean you can handle a weapon let alone be qualified to draw the weapon and engage Targets with others 3-4 foot to either side of you shooting in the lanes next to you.

Anyone that says a CCW should be justification to be allowed to shoot from a Holstered draw is ........ Lost in space :innocent0

I agree 100%. No arguing here as well. :thumbsup:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    To get away from the holster draw thing for a few minutes:

I just got back from my first trip to Free State. I met all the guys, including the ownership. Everyone was *extremely* nice to deal with, even for some oddball who wandered in at 10:00AM on a weekday.

As has been mentioned, the facility is still under construction, but the range is operational, and it is *very* nice. The automated target systems are fantastic, and will be so nice to use. The range area itself is clean and well set up.

From the descriptions they gave me of what is coming (locker room type stuff, a shower for members, a "deli" or food area, a pool table, etc, we are all going to have a really nice place to go shooting by the time they're done.

I have to give them all a nod of appreciation for doing what they're doing in starting this business, especially in this area and this economic climate. I fully plan on patronizing them regularly - it's great to see such nice people opening what appears like it is going to be a really nice facility right in our back yard.

jeepin13

Jan 10, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    Just left and i had a great time. It was a short trip because I had to leave to go to work. Just wanted to check the place out and man, its as nice as everyone says. Cant wait to get back. Everyone was very friendly.

davidr145

Mar 14, 2011
    Perry Hall, MD
    Just got back from Freestate and I had a great time. Everyone was very nice. Got a tour of the place and it looks like it will be a great place to hang out. The range was nice, well lit. The target system was really cool and easy to use. Can't wait for it all to get finished. I plan to go back soon. It will be interesting to see what type of classes they offer once the classroom is finished. It was about a 10-15 minute trip from Perry Hall (at least at 9:00 PM). I hope it gets a lot of interest and business is good for them.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Just got back from Freestate and I had a great time. Everyone was very nice. Got a tour of the place and it looks like it will be a great place to hang out. The range was nice, well lit. The target system was really cool and easy to use. Can't wait for it all to get finished. I plan to go back soon. It will be interesting to see what type of classes they offer once the classroom is finished. It was about a 10-15 minute trip from Perry Hall (at least at 9:00 PM). I hope it gets a lot of interest and business is good for them.

Where at in Perry Hall?

Last edited:

EurAzn12

Mar 29, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Haven't looked through this whole thread yet, but any type of competition action going to be had at this new range? Looking forward to something other than going to On Target

snoopaloop

Mar 5, 2009
    Middle River
    Haven't looked through this whole thread yet, but any type of competition action going to be had at this new range? Looking forward to something other than going to On Target

Competitions are mentioned in their rules so it sounds like they'll have some when fully operational.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

I don't know about specific plans, but one of the guys was talking about building tables to do pin shoots while I was there, so it sounds like at least that is on the table.

I would also think that with the computerized target systems they have in place that there would be the possibility of some other fun things as well...

PCO31

Glockstar
    Mar 3, 2011
    Please tell me that I can shoot my hardcast reloads there....and will there be membership opps soon. So glad to have a local business to support here in Middle River......I am freakin psyched !!!!!!!!!!!!

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    Is there any info on memeberships? I didn't see anything on the website and was just wondering what the general levels and costs would be. It is ok to bring your own ammo and targets correct? I saw that on the pre-opening opening you could, but I wasn't sure if that would be the policy all the time.

snoopaloop

Mar 5, 2009
    Middle River
    Is there any info on memeberships? I didn't see anything on the website and was just wondering what the general levels and costs would be. It is ok to bring your own ammo and targets correct? I saw that on the pre-opening opening you could, but I wasn't sure if that would be the policy all the time.

Bring your own ammo as long as it isn't tracer, incendiary, armor piercing, or steel core such as M855.

Don't bring targets with living human photos on them. They were talking about ordering zombie targets so if you have any undead looking targets, take one and see if they'll accept it.

davidr145

Mar 14, 2011
    Perry Hall, MD
    Where at in Perry Hall? I am in Perry Hall as well and it only took me a little over 5 min.

Near Honeygo and Belair Rd. Trip home was closer to 10 minutes than 15. I was watching my speed as 43 sometimes has speed traps setup. It's awesome to have a place so close. I shot from 9pm to 10pm and had the range to myself. people may not realize they are open til 10.

Old Skool

Mar 7, 2010
    Parkville
    As the "resident" gunsmith at Free State, let me answer some of yesterdays
    questions. You can use your reloads in your guns. If a rental gun is used, then
    factory ammunition is what must be used.

Memberships are available, stop in and discuss the particulars with the owners.

There will be bowling pin matches by early May. It will be a timed event, shot
    at 50 feet. Five pins to be knocked down, with the fastest time winning. Cost
    and payout to be determined. I am building the target stands, and ordering the
    targets now. Depending on interest, there will be both rimfire and centerfire
    classes.

If you have any interest in a particular classroom topic, let us know about it
    when you come in. See you all at the range!

Old Skool

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom