Front sight focus ... is wrong? This expert says so.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Like probably everyone else here, I've always been taught that front sight focus is the way to go. And that's what I've done for decades. This competitive shooter disagrees, and states his rationale. I'm curious what everyone else things about his logic:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    2 types of shooting, slow, aimed fire marksmanship shooting and self defense/IPSC competition type shooting.
    Slow aimed, you definitely need front sight focus, blah blah blah.
    You don't need that to just to hit steel or a silhouette. Getting the dot or the front sight somewhere on it will suffice. At that point it becomes instinct/point shooting.

The video should make that distinction.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    You have to listen very carefully to what he is actually saying. The process is rapid acquisition by getting the rear sight roughly aligned with the target, rapidly transitioning to the front sight to insure alignment, then to the target, then transition back to the front sight and break the shot. If your rear sight is aligned where it needs to be but, your front sight is pointing somewhere else, you miss. If both sights are not where they need to be, you miss. If your sights are aligned but not perfectly centered on target, you may hit the target but not centered as you want the shot to be. If your sights are aligned properly and centered on the target, you should expect to see the shot centered. Your eyes do all this very rapidly but are not capable of focusing at multiple distances at the same time. It is a process that needs to be repeated consistently for the best results.

Gun Commander

Industry Partner
    Jan 13, 2023
    Arnold, MD
    In typical gun fighting range, 3,5,7, maybe 10 yards tops, acquiring the larger rear sights may suffice. If you think about it, the rear sights sit on top of the backplate of the slide, which is on the same plane as the barrel. If you use both eyes, your dominant eye picks up the backplate/rear sight, and your non-dominant eye picks up the threat, and you get a good center-mass hit, quickly, while getting your “sight reference.” Still, it’s a technique that needs to be practiced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2013
    Anne Arundel Co
    It depends.

If the target is out of focus, it's EXTREMELY difficult to get precise placement. Squirrel at 50 yards -- focus on target.

If you need rapid acquisition on an immediate threat, focusing on the target that way might not be the best way to go.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It depends.

If the target is out of focus, it's EXTREMELY difficult to get precise placement. Squirrel at 50 yards -- focus on target.

If you need rapid acquisition on an immediate threat, focusing on the target that way might not be the best way to go.
    No one is shooting a squirrel at 50 with a pistol. Targets are blurry at distance and your front sight needs to be clear. At distance it is your presentation addressing the target with your pistol. Level and consistent. Sights are aiding your presentation and you are adjusting accordingly.
    A target the same size and height off the ground at 7 yards and at 25 yards, is the same. IF you aim at the 7, close your eyes, and have a consistent grip, trigger press, etc... you'll have the same hole on the target at 25.
    Blurry targets mean nothing.

You can look directly at someone's chest and drill them with a few rounds as long as your presentation is flat and consistent.

We're not talking about scoped rifle shooting.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I struggled to draw and point quickly with a front or rear sight for a while. I watched a video that someone mentioned pointing with the backplate (striker fire glock etc) and it helped me a ton for some reason.

I'm fairly certain that at 5 and 7 yards I could back plate center mass fast (for me) while a little practice.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I struggled to draw and point quickly with a front or rear sight for a while. I watched a video that someone mentioned pointing with the backplate (striker fire glock etc) and it helped me a ton for some reason.

I'm fairly certain that at 5 and 7 yards I could back plate center mass fast (for me) while a little practice.
    Indeed.

The barrel is a longitudinal axis. Any rotation of the pistol around that will deliver a good shot as long as trigger press and everything else is equal.
    That being said, the closer the shot, good rituals don't have to be perfect. Just get that bore on towards the target.
    Also "gangsta style" has it's use in self defense shooting. All 3, top, left, and right sides of the slide serve an aiming purpose. Flat side of either side just needs to align nipple to nipple (damn that sounds hot and naughty), and the bore will be center mass, and crack off your shot.

The example I always use is shooting from within the car. You extend your arm and reach across (especially with a passenger), at a threat. You don't have time to present the pistol up and down for a proper sight alignment. You gangsta across, align that right side slide across the threat chest and ventilate him.

Practicing these on an indoor static range is easily done and changes up what would otherwise be a boring range routine.
    We as defenders (of ourselves, family, and 3rd parties) are beholden to know how to shoot in every way possible. We (and they) deserve that.

Apr 8, 2013
    Anne Arundel Co
    No one is shooting a squirrel at 50 with a pistol. Targets are blurry at distance and your front sight needs to be clear. At distance it is your presentation addressing the target with your pistol. Level and consistent. Sights are aiding your presentation and you are adjusting accordingly.
    A target the same size and height off the ground at 7 yards and at 25 yards, is the same. IF you aim at the 7, close your eyes, and have a consistent grip, trigger press, etc... you'll have the same hole on the target at 25.
    Blurry targets mean nothing.

You can look directly at someone's chest and drill them with a few rounds as long as your presentation is flat and consistent.

We're not talking about scoped rifle shooting.
    expand...
    "No one is shooting a squirrel at 50 with a pistol.".
    I agree. I just didn't see anything limiting the discussion to pistols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom