• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I don't understand the bill or current law.

All I read in this story was the property owner had to be responsible for the animals housed on their property (which makes sense) and that's a bad thing (according to the story).

Sorry, but from just walking my property line and checking out the unlicensed, unspayed, un-inoculated rental animals that the section 8 supported renters own, I'm all for making the slumlords responsible if one of those animals bite someone. I miss 2008 when all those places were sitting empty...

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County

All I read in this story was the property owner had to be responsible for the animals housed on their property (which makes sense) and that's a bad thing (according to the story).

Sorry, but from just walking my property line and checking out the unlicensed, unspayed, un-inoculated rental animals that the section 8 supported renters own, I'm all for making the slumlords responsible if one of those animals bite someone. I miss 2008 when all those places were sitting empty...

I haven't read the bill or the law on this subject but from your post you believe that the landlord should be responsible for the actions of their renters??

That's like making gun manufacturers responsible for crimes committed by criminals.

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    Even enemies can put their differences aside and join forces for a common goal every once in a while. Doesn't mean either one of us fully adopt the other's ideals, but it makes sense to join to fight a common enemy.

I know a member on this board who was married to the director of state legislation for HSUS

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Does someone passionate about the pit bull debacle in Maryland want to write up a page for Free State DINOs? I got a ton of other stuff to write and am not very knowledgeable about the subject. PM me for details.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I haven't read the bill or the law on this subject but from your post you believe that the landlord should be responsible for the actions of their renters??

Dang straight. Sadly from what I have seen over the last couple years in my neighborhood, the building owners are doing minimal work to get section 8 renters in the buildings. Many of the renters are now companies, not private owners. It has become big business without any oversight on the properties. I've had to call the city so I could figure out who owned one of them so they could get someone to put the back door back on after the place was abandoned. Since it's warmed up I've gotten another batch of trash for neighbors. Most will be gone by fall once they get evicted for not paying rent all summer. A new bunch will move in over the winter.

What is really sad is with the current 'privacy' laws rental owners can not have an association or list to share the names of the deadbeat renters. So it's rinse and repeat year after year. We used to have families for owners, now it's deadbeats and trash as renters...

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

This bill is the equivalent of allowing victims of crimes where a guns were used to sue the gun manufacturer, and only focusing on manufacturers of "assault rifles". Holding landlords accountable for actions of their tenants is preposterous.

goalie098

Trigger Monkey
    Oct 18, 2010
    Finksburg, MD
    If we want Democratic support for our issue we had better be ready to support theirs. Personally, I don't want any government entity telling what I can/can't do, own/can't own, or say/not say what I want as long as I don't bother anyone else.

besides I like dogs. Even if they aren't German Shepherds! :-)

tjv4163

Jun 27, 2012
    21234 city side
    Someone who can be a member of the dog community and the gun community might give them a call to see if we can work together for a common purpose.

I have reached out to them I have spoken to a few. I am trying to get meetings set up. This is what we need to say to the rescues and Ive used this a few times already when comparing the gun bill to the BSL law.

The BSL law targets pit bulls because of the way the dog looks and is seen by people due the media highlighting the way criminals treat and raise them to fight. Its not the dog its the person who has the dog. Its the same as the AR-15 I guess you could call the gun law that was passed a "GSL" as it targeted and attacks the AR15 because of the way it looks.. People say its evil because a select few people have used it in an evil way. It looks scary to people because of this but just like pit bulls its not the firearm or the dog. It is the person behind them!!

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    i'll show my pit a picture of the pedo-stache and see what reaction i get.

our pit mix would tear him apart if he walked in the door , maybe I should invite him for dinner.

disclosure she is over 10 , she has only bit 1 time, really a scratch because my sister walked in our house without calling so we could secure her. She was an abused pup but she is the sweetest with her "pack"

tjv4163

Jun 27, 2012
    21234 city side

the problem with the law is if you have the best pit in the world you train it right and raise it with love... if someone makes the dog bite them.... well your in trouble your going to be sued and your going to lose. That was the problem with the law. The part of the bill Frosh let get killed would have made it easier for someone to fight a lawsuit by showing the dog never bit anyone before but as written by his committee you would NEVER have enough evidence to defend your dog and it was all breeds... so you would be homeless if your dog bit someone.

RavensChick

Gun Loving Bitch
    our pit mix would tear him apart if he walked in the door , maybe I should invite him for dinner.

disclosure she is over 10 , she has only bit 1 time, really a scratch because my sister walked in our house without calling so we could secure her. She was an abused pup but she is the sweetest with her "pack"

Every pit bull I've ever encountered were sweathearts (because their owners were law abiding citzens). Actually, they can be big babies. I just love terriers! If they attempted to outlaw Jack Russells, I'd be pissed, so I can only image what pit bull owners are dealing with.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    :thumbsup:

Our PACs can't appear to be only pro-2A. All of these issues are important. The more we can get people to realize how poorly they are represented, the quicker we can get these ass-hats out.

This +100,000

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    The legislation that almost made it through was SB160. Neither side liked the others amendments and sent it to conference committee on Sine Die. It started as a rebuttable presumption of liability (meaning dog owner had to be shown as knowing the dog was violent). With Dumais as the House conference committee chairman, it came out as strict liability for all dogs. It was sent to the "Special Order" black hole by fellow MoCo delegate Barve after another MoCo delegate fought Dumais until she started shrieking in defense of strict loyalty.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Frosh is a POS with his own agenda & doesn't care about his constituents. He's the reason we can't get any law passed for stiffer drunk driving penalties. Anytime a bill is proposed, he "tables" it so it never comes before the committee for a vote. Guess he can't defend people if they're in jail.

He says he cares about Marylanders safety but we all know that's a crock. Some of these agenda items can be used against him if he has greater political aspirations (eg, the AG's office).

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Every pit bull I've ever encountered were sweathearts (because their owners were law abiding citzens). Actually, they can be big babies. I just love terriers! If they attempted to outlaw Jack Russells, I'd be pissed, so I can only image what pit bull owners are dealing with.
    if we take her off her property she turns into putty wants everyone to pet her , different story you cross the threshold of her house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom