• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Jul 22, 2021
    Have tried soaking in liquid wrench, no luck. Don’t want to smash it up. Thanks in advance

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    heat, cool heat cool, repeat. I always do that before giving up. I have yet to give up an anything stuck.
    I'm not talking torch, I'm more talking heat gun, hair dryer not talking heat so much that you damage it or discolor it.
    Often the heating and cooling expands and contracts it enough to get separation.

Wait for more advice before you take mine......

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Take melnics advice. And liquid wrench is marginally better than wd-40 but still not the right stuff. I've migrated to kroil. I am more cavalier about heating. I use a propane torch. I am also used to heating metal with much more aggressive means, so take that for what it is worth. Keep the torch moving constantly. Focus on the area where the threads are. If you have a temp gun, keep the part at or below 250.

Once you get it out, make friends with antiseize.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The solder on modern shotguns is high temp. If this is a real oldie (which would almost certainly be a fixed choke not a tube) disregard my advice.

When I have used the high temp (atf compliant) stuff, I've done it with oxyacetylene. Installed muzzle devices on a couple of saigas that way (they were cut down).

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I'd try putting it in a freezer for a couple days.
    We had one stuck that we sent back to Browning, they got it out.

I often thought about making a "screw jack" for stuck chokes so the little wrench doesn't slip. Some choke wrenches have a hole through the middle.
    My idea is to knock out the primer in a spent hull, run a length of all-thread through the hull, barrel and choke wrench, put an appropriate size nut and washer on each end, tighten the nuts down snug to keep the wrench in firm contact with the choke.
    Of course you'd have to be careful not to bugger anything and secure the barrel.

OR do what you're doing and find a qualified gunsmith.

Clay

Jul 22, 2021
    Thanks for the feedback/suggestions. Just ordered some kroil. Will let it soak for a while. And then into the freezer chest

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Take melnics advice. And liquid wrench is marginally better than wd-40 but still not the right stuff. I've migrated to kroil. I am more cavalier about heating. I use a propane torch. I am also used to heating metal with much more aggressive means, so take that for what it is worth. Keep the torch moving constantly. Focus on the area where the threads are. If you have a temp gun, keep the part at or below 250.

Once you get it out, make friends with antiseize.
    Kroil is what we typically use at Scott's Gunsmithing.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The solder on modern shotguns is high temp. If this is a real oldie (which would almost certainly be a fixed choke not a tube) disregard my advice.

When I have used the high temp (atf compliant) stuff, I've done it with oxyacetylene. Installed muzzle devices on a couple of saigas that way (they were cut down).
    Uh, you might want to go back and edit the original post rather than telling someone that maybe they shouldn't have followed your advice is a subsequent one.

I'm just saying...

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    OP - have you had this exact choke tube out before? Just wondering what the history is here with the choke tube. For instance, was the gun purchased used and for all we know the choke has been in there since it was manufactured or did you have it out of the gun last month before deciding to go with a modified choke for those rascally clays.

Is the choke extended or flush fit. If it is extended, don't think I would hesitate to use some channel locks and a rag after applying a small amount of heat to it.

I took out a flush fit modified choke on my Benelli after it has been in there for several years and that was a PITA. I put grease on almost every choke before I screw it in now.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Scott's Gunsmithing has had decent success getting getting many stuck chokes out. However, I have seen a couple of chokes stuck so bad the barrel was damaged trying to get it out. Scott will not guarantee that damage will not happen even though the vast majority are successfully removed. I can also tell you that if you have a barrel with an camo overwrap, it will almost certainly have the camo damaged by kroil or heat or both. At minimum, choke tubes should be periodically removed, cleaned and lubed with oil when replaced. Better yet is to use an anti seize tube grease. I use Tetra grease specially developed for that application. Most of the stuck tubes that are particularly difficult to remove are those in waterfowl hunting shotguns that haven't had them removed in quite a while.

Clay

Jul 22, 2021
    OP - have you had this exact choke tube out before? Just wondering what the history is here with the choke tube. For instance, was the gun purchased used and for all we know the choke has been in there since it was manufactured or did you have it out of the gun last month before deciding to go with a modified choke for those rascally clays.

Is the choke extended or flush fit. If it is extended, don't think I would hesitate to use some channel locks and a rag after applying a small amount of heat to it.

I took out a flush fit modified choke on my Benelli after it has been in there for several years and that was a PITA. I put grease on almost every choke before I screw it in now.
    Good questions! Purchased used barrel - browning bps deer/turkey. Deer slug choke extends 5 inches, might end up just using it as a slug barrel and leave it alone! My own chokes, use plenty of grease, no problem

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Good questions! Purchased used barrel - browning bps deer/turkey. Deer slug choke extends 5 inches, might end up just using it as a slug barrel and leave it alone! My own chokes, use plenty of grease, no problem
    Good old BPS. My dad bought one for me for Christmas when I was 8 years old. Think it was 1979 and the BPS had just come out. I have a 26" IC fixed choke barrel, 30" full choke barrel, and a Hastings fully rifled barrel for it. Hunted and shot with it for quite a while, until I bought a Browning Citori Lightning POS when I turned 18. Actually went halvsies on the Citori with my dad.

If the choke is extended and not thin walled, you should try some channel locks on the choke tube while using a rag on it to protect it from scratches. Put the barrel on the gun and have a strong friend hold the gun while you try to twist the choke tube off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom