• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Excuse me if this is a dumb question but im really unsure. How do transactions for firearms, handguns, work between residents of states which allow ftf sales? Example, a va resident and fl resident. Both states allow ftf, cash and carry, so how would it work with my example? I ask this because i know being a md res i can go to va or pa and still buy a long gun cash and carry bc thats legal in md. So if that law carries over im wondering how it works with other states as well. Hope im making sense.

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    I am looking into purchasing a handgun in Md. and have my FFL send it to FFL in the Virginia Beach area - does anyone have info for a reliable FFL in the VA Beach area ?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    All interstate sales of firearms between residents of different states requires an FFL. So FTF of a VA and FL resident of ANY firearm (long gun or handgun) requires an FFL. If it is a handgun, the FFL must be in the purchaser's state.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I am looking into purchasing a handgun in Md. and have my FFL send it to FFL in the Virginia Beach area - does anyone have info for a reliable FFL in the VA Beach area ?

Are you a Md resident? If so I think what you want to ask is there any Va Beach FFL that will do the MSP paperwork and transfer for you.

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    Are you a Md resident? If so I think what you want to ask is there any Va Beach FFL that will do the MSP paperwork and transfer for you.

Here is the deal - I am MD resident, daughter is VA resident. I want to pay for a handgun in MD but not take possession. My daughter (in Military), when she comes to MD will go to shop where I paid for gun, fill out the paperwork. Then the MD FFL would send gun to VA FFL to complete the deal and she will pick up her gun. It would be easier to buy gun in VA but I wanted to support my MD dealer. Whew ....

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Here is the deal - I am MD resident, daughter is VA resident. I want to pay for a handgun in MD but not take possession. My daughter (in Military), when she comes to MD will go to shop where I paid for gun, fill out the paperwork. Then the MD FFL would send gun to VA FFL to complete the deal and she will pick up her gun. It would be easier to buy gun in VA but I wanted to support my MD dealer. Whew ....

You just need to buy the gun and have it shipped to the VA FFL. She can fill the paperwork out there.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

I'm not sure you have to fill out any paperwork if it's not being transfered to you. It would seem to be just like an Internet sale where the Md dealer would ship it to the Va FFL for the transfer.

Anyway, The Armory is near Va Beach. Yo might call and see if they will do it.

http://www.the-armory.com/

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    isn't straw when the person going home with the gun is different than the person having the background check done? here, the daughter will have her background checked and she will have the gun.

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    Thanks for all of your responses looks like me paying for the gun here , daughter filling out paperwork in VA and taking possession there is the way to go. Another other names of dealers in the Virginia Beach area would be helpful. We will be going down there in 2 weeks.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Wait a sec, even for a long gun? I thought even as md residents we can go to va or pa and buy a shotgun or something similar. I guess its stillcash and carry just cant do ftf like we would even in md?

Oh well, ill be in central florida, so it dont matter. Any more purchases will be florida to florida res.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Thanks for all of your responses looks like me paying for the gun here , daughter filling out paperwork in VA and taking possession there is the way to go. Another other names of dealers in the Virginia Beach area would be helpful. We will be going down there in 2 weeks.

I understand your wanting to support a local FFL but why not just buy her the gun at the "local" Va Beach dealer. She can do the paperwork there. That would save you the hefty transfer fee and she would be able to pick out the gun with you. Win-win and perfectly legal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom