• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    WARNING - Bubba alert.

I was explaining my $50 heat treating setup/process to someone this weekend, and he was hovering between amazement and calling BS on me, so I figured I would post this up to get some reactions. If I had planned to post before, I would have taken more pics, but this is all I have for now. Maybe I'll take more pics when I do my next one (M92 SBR!).

SB281 has led us all in unexpected directions. It brought me into the AK fold. As I scrambled to buy a couple pre-ban guns, I discovered that I really liked the platform... But it was too late to really explore it. The guns were vaporware with the Obama scare, and quality receivers were out of stock everywhere. With the deadline approaching, I bought a couple dozen flats in various configurations, a bending die, and folded them all before October 1. Then I tooled up to build my budding wish list of com bloc goodness.

The problem was that I had no idea about receiver hardening issues when I hatched my plan. So I went to the inter webs for knowledge... And was disappointed by the AK community. According to the internet forum "experts," I had three options:

1 - Send it away to a professional heat treater, who may or may not warp it to uselessness (and who specifically warns you that it will probably come back warped).

2 - Spot harden the FCG holes, ejector and rails with a little MAPP gas torch.

3 - Spend mucho dinero on a ceramics kiln.

Well, none of that seemed attractive to me. Sending to a pro goes against everything I hold dear. I'm a DIYer. If I can't do it, it can't be done (so I say). Option 2 seemed grossly inadequate (I know this will tick some people off). Even if spot hardening proved durable, I would not be happy. Annealed 4130 (what the flats I bought are made of) is some seriously soft and ductile metal... Without hardening, you can literally bend your ak in half at the mag well without too much difficulty (no, that's not exaggerating). Finally, buying a kiln was out... Too much money. Too few uses.

So I started researching and experimenting... And after a few destroyed receivers, I settled on the following method.

I built a small furnace out of refractory bricks on a wheeled base I welded up. Only the bottom, sides and back are mortared in, so I can change the configuration.

Stage one of the process is stress relief. I'm convinced the stresses of bending, dimpling, welding, punching, etc are partly responsible for warping issues some experience on quench. To relieve these stresses, I put extra bricks in the furnace (for thermal inertia) then heat the furnace up with my propane weed burner until the bricks are glowing orange. Then I put the receiver in and heat that up to glowing. Finally, I slide the top brinks to seal the vent, and seal the front of the furnace up with an extra brick. This is to retain heat. It takes a LONG time to cool, but slower is better for this. I leave it overnight. Before sealing, I put a few wood chips in. This, in theory takes up the oxygen by burning and helps avoid scale. Does this process work to relieve stresses? I have no clue, but it probably does, and it can't hurt.

Stage two is hardening. The receiver goes back into the preheated furnace and gets heated until the whole receiver is EVENLY glowing orange. Preheating the bricks really helps a lot to give me even heating. Given how thin the metal is, there is no need to hold temperature for any length of time. To the contrary, I take it out as fast as possible to avoid scaling.

Stage three is the quench. For 4130 I've read that you need a very violent quench. I've also read that, oil is too slow. You must use water. Saturated salt brine is better because it raises the boiling temp such that you avoid a boundary layer of steam. Adding a bit of soap is supposed to help in the process as well. I use a 5 gallon bucket kept right under the furnace. You need to get the receiver into the water FAST. Don't give it time to cool. And for gods sake, put it in perfectly vertical. Anything else will banana your part (think katana).

After the quench, my testing files usually show between 60-65R... Which is physically impossible for 4130 (as quenched, it should never get harder than very low 50's). I suspect that means the steel is carburizing from the propane, but that really isn't a bad thing here. In any case, it is definitely HARD. It is also brittle. Trying to bend it at this point will shatter the steel, so don't try (don't ask me how I figured that out).

Stage four is tempering. Anywhere between 650F and 850F for one hour will easily put you within the 37-44R range... which is what I have read is the soviet spec. I've also read that soviets found hardnesses above 45 would tend to develop cracks... That may be something to be concerned about, so make sure you get the required temperature. That said, the 1050 steel the soviets used isn't nearly as tough as 4130 chromoly generally used for US flats... So it may not be an issue. In any case, I found that my propane grill with all burners on high will hold 725-750F after a preheat... So that's what I used. Another option may be the cleaning cycle of a self-cleaning oven... That's usually 800-850F. After tempering, you should let it cool slowly... I just turn the grill off and come back an hour or two later.

After tempering, my test files show hardness between 40-45R, which is where it should be for the tempering temperature I used (it should be 41).

Issues:

1 - Scale. Yes, a little scale builds up. It's not a problem. It comes off VERY easily in the blasting cabinet.

2 - Warping. Yes, despite my best efforts, I get a little warping sometimes... Not a lot, but some. And never more than a dead blow hammer can't fix in a half dozen whacks (after tempering!!!). Between that and the support of the trunnions, there are no straightness issues. I included some pics of the last one I did to show how straight the rails are.

3 - Temperature control when hardening. Precise control is not really needed for this steel. You can tell temperature close enough by color. If you go too hot, it really doesn't hurt unless you melt it. I tried 1600F tempilaq as an indicator, but found that it etched the steel badly and didn't materially refine the process.

4 - Long term durability. No clue. I have 660 rounds through one gun with no issues. If anything bad happens, I'll update.

Now for the pictures... These are pics from two different receivers.

The "furnace".

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412637848.278321.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412637867.744271.jpg

In action.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412637886.577583.jpg

After quench... Note the scale.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412637919.445154.jpg

Same gun, scale cleaned up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412637945.110789.jpg

Tempering.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412638011.695030.jpg

Perfectly straight.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412637978.745052.jpg

That's all for now.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Hat's off to you. The cleaned up receiver looks great and you can't argue with success.

Years ago I worked in a plant that manufactured ceramic-based catalytic converters. They too needed to keep the O2 level down in the kiln when we fired them. Where you mentioned wood chips, our plant used charcoal. It does the same thing and since it's mostly just carbon, it doesn't introduce the contaminants that wood does. Not sure if that's a problem with annealing, hardening, or tempering steel, but maybe something to consider.

Last edited:

Sling1

Provocative Interloper
    Nov 25, 2009
    Frederick
    Wow............just wow. I wish I had more to add to this thread but wow is the only thing that comes to mind.

MdPrep

Tactically Tactless
    Sep 24, 2014
    Very nice work. I was thinking the same as you by buying flats, however I'm just as confident in my skills as you are and I would've ended up with a mess.

Thanks for sharing.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Very nice work. Great of you to share this. I have been doing very similar with a small $25 electric kiln off Craigslist. I have found the same thing you have and a few differences, but I used polish blanks that are a different alloy.

Similarities:
    Color is a very effective way to monitor temperature.
    Soak time is not required with material this thin
    Scaling is minimal
    Annealing is a must and 500 for an hour is what I use
    With a proper quench entry, warping is minimal to non-existent

Differences:
    With electric decarburizing is a problem. I shield with argon to prevent it
    Quenching with hydraulic fluid provides great results. I used the leftover from the last tractor change
    Not sure if you do or not, but I heat treat with the rails already welded in.

Glad you shared this because there are many skeptics, but full heat treat can be done very effectively at home on a budget.

If you want to see my receivers with electric and argon, look for pictures on the SoMD build party 3 thread. I had not done anything to clean them up yet.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Thanks to all for the kind words!!!

Your home gunsmithing never ceases to amaze.

Thanks... and yours amazes me. Don't think I have forgotten the Jawnpensator! I'm actually in the process of making a M92 brake/compensator now... it will be epic.

Hat's off to you. The cleaned up receiver lloks great and you can't argue with success.

Years ago I worked in a plant that manufactured ceramic-based catalytic converters. They too needed to keep the O2 level down in the kiln when we fired them. Where you mentioned wood chips, our plant used charcoal. It does the same thing and since it's mostly just carbon, it doesn't introduce the contaminants that wood does. Not sure if that's a problem with annealing, hardening, or tempering steel, but maybe something to consider.

Charcoal is a great idea. I'll probably use that in the future. :thumbsup:

Those are some beautiful spot welds.

Thanks. I'm a bit OCD about layout. I weld the two end spots in each row, then measure out even spacing for those in the middle and scribe cross marks into the receiver at the location of each weld.

Wow very nice work. What is the little lever under the front trunion ?

The catch to hold the side folder closed... I still can't reliably install the infuriating little spring there, so I install it before riveting in the front trunnion and park it as an assembly. Embarrassing that I can do all of this, but that little spring still foils me! :sad20:

Thanks. That means allot coming from a pro. Now we will see if the guns last more than 1,000 rounds. :o

Very nice work. Great of you to share this. I have been doing very similar with a small $25 electric kiln off Craigslist. I have found the same thing you have and a few differences, but I used polish blanks that are a different alloy.

Similarities:

Color is a very effective way to monitor temperature.

Soak time is not required with material this thin

Scaling is minimal

Annealing is a must and 500 for an hour is what I use

With a proper quench entry, warping is minimal to non-existent

Differences:

With electric decarburizing is a problem. I shield with argon to prevent it

Quenching with hydraulic fluid provides great results. I used the leftover from the last tractor change

Not sure if you do or not, but I heat treat with the rails already welded in.

Glad you shared this because there are many skeptics, but full heat treat can be done very effectively at home on a budget.

If you want to see my receivers with electric and argon, look for pictures on the SoMD build party 3 thread. I had not done anything to clean them up yet.

Thanks... and glad to see there are others who enjoy this and go the extra mile! Maybe this will lead to more people who are not afraid to take the plunge.

I'm seriously jealous of your setup... and the price of your kiln!!!

If the polish blanks are what I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure they are 1050 carbon steel. Oil quench and 500F temper seems perfect for them from what I've read. I wish 4130 would temper to spec at that temperature. I would have done it in the darn toaster oven! :D

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I was working on my M92 SBR project this weekend and took a short video of the hardening process... I planned to show the process through the quench, but once I started recording, I realized that it really takes your full attention and two hands to do safely, thus the short duration.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I see you're in Bethesda. Since he's close by, maybe you should invite Frosh over for a beer...perhaps he can help, too! :lol2:

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I see you're in Bethesda. Since he's close by, maybe you should invite Frosh over for a beer...perhaps he can help, too! :lol2:

Yeah, I can see how that would go down:

"Hey Bri, put down that beer and hold the furnace to make sure it doesn't roll away? ... Don't worry; it's not that hot." :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom