• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Econo-build in progress, all focused toward carry and defense. Aluminum frame (80% serialized), bobtail mainspring housing, concealment hammer and grip safety. Info and parts used as follows.

So…about a 65% aluminum frame. Vision:

- carry/defensive setup;
    - concealed carry machined cc grip safety;
    - concealment hammer, accompanying sear, and disconnector;
    - bobtail housing…had to try it;
    - actually hoping it would rival my LW CCO builds.

Some notes.
    1.). The aluminum used was a good alloy, much harder than I expected.
    2.) deck, rails, barrel bed, hammer sear pin holes, feed ramp, grip screw bushing holes need(-ed) machining.
    3.) The bore at the barrel lug cut out was machined too small. Soooo….the rear centering diameter of the recoil spring guide had to be fitted;
    4.) The frame deck was uneven on its surface and varied .002” from side to side.

Onto the pistol. 45 ACP full size pistol bobtail pistol. Specifics of parts used….

• WC concealment hammer, disco, sear;
    • Remington R1 trigger;
    • Ed Brown machined concealment beavertail;
    • Tisas slide, new…one of the ones on sale;
    • Colt Mk IV barrel bought from a member several years ago;
    • EGW, IIRC, carry bevel stainless bushing;
    • Ed Brown chain link carbon machined mainspring housing;
    • takeoff Safariland ambi safety. This has been one of the most enduring tongue and groove retention thumb safeties I used. It was removed from one of my pistols I converted to single side safety
    • EGW practical extractor;
    • EGW ejector;
    • TMC machined plunger tube;
    • Ed Brown rebuild pin kit;
    • TWC firing pin stop;
    • Ruger, I think so anyway, takeoff titanium firing pin;
    • a couple mim parts for gasps and giggles…this pistol isn’t going anywhere. S&W slide stop, mag catch, and thumb safety.

Takeoffs include the mag catch, firing pin, thumb safety, barrel, and recoil guide rod and plug.. All other parts are new.

————-

Why the bobtail? I never had much of an itch for a 1911 so equipped. After shooting my CCO’s with round butts…well it got me to thinking. An aluminum full size frame…it made sense.

IMG_9963.jpeg

IMG_9962.jpeg

IMG_9944.jpeg
    IMG_9942.jpeg
    IMG_9945.jpeg
    IMG_9946.jpeg
    IMG_9950.jpeg
    IMG_9952.jpeg
    IMG_9954.jpeg

IMG_9948.jpeg

Last edited:

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Mag, very impressive, nice build layout. Looks awesome, like the strategy / purpose
    Think you'll like the bobtail overall.
    Who's frame if you don't mind me asking?
    See EGW parts, gotta stay away from there.

What did you do "hit up the parts bin(s)"
    Gonna call it "The Magnumite Touch"
    Blend-o-matic ()

Great work as always.

-Rock

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Hey, Rock. Thank you for the kind words. Yeah, I hit up the parts bin!

I acquired the frame from Spector Supply a couple years ago, but can’t put a finger on who the manufacturer may be. And Spector is held to a nondisclosure agreement. The alloy must be the 7075 or whatever the firearms grade 7000 series aluminum alloy is. It is defintely harder than the two other frames I finished. My files and abrasive cloth say so.

I had some parts and sat on the frame until I knew which direction I want to go with it. I considered it as a foundation for a decicated 22 LR. But I have a dedicated steel framed 22 and the heavier weight of the steel frame and the light slide make for a very soft and fast shooting pistol. So the project took form when I considered a lightweight full sized carry pistol. I actually prefer the full size pistol so this was a logical next step in that exploration.

The frame was precut for the .250” radius beavertail. Problem is a seamless fit at the frame/grip safety radius can’t be achieved without an undersized radius, which this grip safety doesn’t offer. Not an issue here as it is a practical pistol. What was a pleasant surprise is the Ed Brown grip safety matched the contour of the frame. Minimal blending was needed!

The Wilson Combat hammer and sear needed work..especially the hammer. They required work to get to standard and a good pull.

All totalled, considering takeoff parts prices...this will be about $625 in parts when it is all said and done. Least expensive by about half what the other complete builds cost.

Hope it shoots and behaves well.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Feeling slick, I held the pistol in my strong hand and applied force at the top of the slide with my support hand….it wanted to twist in my strong hand. This upgrade made a difference.
    IMG_9965.jpeg
    IMG_9964.jpeg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Little more done. Drilled and tapped the holes for the grip screw bushings.

These grips were bought used. There were diamonds knocked down on them. They are made of cocobolo. They were cut for a standard full size pistol with ambi safety and magwell. Here they are retro fitted and ready for final recheckering, reconditioning, and finish.
    IMG_0008.jpeg
    IMG_0009.jpeg
    IMG_0010.jpeg
    IMG_0011.jpeg
    IMG_0007.jpeg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Forward canted bevel on firing oin stop to mitigate recoil. Part is Thunder Mountain Custom 1911.

Normally the hammer strikes higher on the stop. Putting the bevel on the firing pin stop lowers the impact point on the hammer, reducing its leverage. More of the recoil energy is absorbed by the frame and mainspring..thus reducing slide velocity and felt recoil.
    IMG_0026.jpeg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Little bit more…just need to point and clean up the serrations. Chose serrating the front strap to maintain continuity. The bottom half of the mainspring housing and most other textured surfaces are serrated. Additionally, gripping the pistol in my right hand and using the left hand to try moving pistol around in my grasp revealed the pistol wants to twist.

IMG_0030.jpeg
    IMG_0035.jpeg
    IMG_0034.jpeg
    IMG_0033.jpeg
    IMG_0032.jpeg
    IMG_0031.jpeg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Well, I shot the puppy. Ran 100% using CCI Blazer Brass 240 grain ball ammunition.

Handling manners…as much as it felt good in the hand the pistol likes to twist to the right. But judging from the targets a snugger grip helps. Recoil wasn’t significant.

Targets labeled and shot as I usually do. Ballpark point of impact over point of aim listed for each distance.
    6 shots at 12 yards, POI +1 1/4”;

Font Triangle Circle Symbol Signage

Two groups of three at 17 yards, POI +2 inches (2nd started low so I just stayed with sight picture I saw);

Font Art Circle Symbol Electric blue

5 shots at 25 yards, POI +2 3/4”.

World Azure Orange Font Gesture

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Refinished the frame. All worked out to and okay level only. By the time I got to the front strap it was contaminated with Aluminum Black from the gloves. So I hit it again next week. This finish is soft.

Cold blued the slide. That is a Tisas item from the Tisas parts list on the website. It is hard. Lotsa strips of sandpaper.

Texture was 220 grit except for slide top which is 180 grit.

Recheckered and Tru-Oiled the grips. Final textured all other parts and used Oxpho Blue on them. Anyway, pics..including the need to be redone front strap.
    IMG_0446.jpeg
    IMG_0447.jpeg
    IMG_0448.jpeg
    IMG_0452.jpeg
    IMG_0453.jpeg
    IMG_0455.jpeg
    IMG_0456.jpeg
    IMG_0461.jpeg
    IMG_0462.jpeg
    IMG_0459.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts