• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I'm going to ask this again, in case the right person might be perusing. I still hardly know anyone here, and the couple folks at the farmers market haven't called me back. I really have an itch to do some trapping, and raccoon by itself would suffice, though I love trapping foxes, mink, muskrats, otters, and beaver.

To satisfy my trapping urge I need some private land near town that has enough ground for the 150 yard rule and I can shoot a .22 on to dispatch critters with. I have some cage traps and a small amount of dog proof type coon traps, so doing coons and not catching and hurting dogs/cats is 100%. I'm also willing to trade some taxidermy work or make fur hats or whatever for trapping privileges. I'm really curious about Swan Creek too! I bet there are otter and mink all over it.

Attachments

• coonnov19.jpg
      coonnov19.jpg
      61.5 KB · Views: 166
    • bestdaywaterM08.jpg
      bestdaywaterM08.jpg
      60.5 KB · Views: 166
    • foxdblwarns2.jpg
      foxdblwarns2.jpg
      81.1 KB · Views: 162

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I saw three raccoons right down the street from you. The came from behind the Lawyers office on St John and crossed the street and climbed the six foot chain link fence.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    LOL, I'd have to get a nuisance control lisc for town raccoons, but I still wouldn't have a legal dispatch spot. It seems the town is full of raccoons, as well as buttloads of squirrels.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    The really powerful .22 air rifle might work, but I don't even like .22 cb's for raccoons. I prefer a .22 handgun for trapping, as it's MUCH easier to carry when walking in/out. I have a S&W 617 and holster I made for it. Raccoons are tough SOB's. I have also tried using a conibear to dispatch caged coons, but it takes too long and seems like the animal is suffering. Forget clubbing them, I am not keen on skinning that mess of a head out, and you do have to hit them VERY hard to kill them. The .22 also comes in handy with aggressive spray happy skunks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom