• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    So what Garand accessories do you have or want?

What do you think is absolutely necessary?

Do you only want original GI or do you like reproduction?

I think this is an interesting topic that I didnt see posted before. So have at it, Im curious what everyone thinks?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Turner sling and M1923 cartridge belt. I got a repro belt from At The Front so I can actually use it. They're real good quality.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I have a cleaning kit, all GI from Bill Ricca, and a cotton sling that's not GI but is US-made - it just doesn't seem right to be buying imported knock-offs for a classic all-American like the M1.

Oh, and the bayonet. I guess that's an accessory, I just got it, it's an original GI issue (Utica).

So for me, I want everything to be GI or, at least, US-made to spec (the sling), but I don't insist on everything being period correct. I mean, my receiver is late WW2 production, but I don't need every part and accessory to match what a Marine would have carried as issued - I want to show the rifle's history, and keep it a shooter at the same time.

Collectors or reenactors may differ, I'm just a rifleman. Not a great one, but I try...

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    M1907 sling
    and learn how to properly use it to stabilize yourself

%5Cfaqs%5CAR-FAQs%5Csling1.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I like the web slings. CMP has the best price.

I also like to keep a combination tool in the butt trap.

I keep a 3/16" Allen wrench in my Garand shooting kit, because it won't fit in the butt trap. Twice I've had front sights loosen on me, and 3/16 is the hex wrench needed.

I like the Dewey muzzle guard for cleaning. Supposedly not necessary, but it makes me feel better.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I would like to have all USGI but I have in accumulated the following. I don't know that any of it is necessary other than clips.

For 3 of 4 of my Garands I have the CMP web sling. They are new but only $10

Trying to find a leather one for my 43'

I picked up a few of these for my older Garands
    PB004UC Bayonet, Model M1 w/ scabbard Manufactured by Utica Cutlery

I ordered this one by mistake but I think it may be accurate for my H&R
    PB002 M5A1 Bayonet & M8A1 scabbards used/serviceable

20 pack of Enbloc clips from CMP

Dewey Muzzle Guard and Bore brush

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    How about the ported gas plug? Have any of you used it? If so, did it work as advertised?

I've got one, but haven't ever used it. I've been told by people who have used them that they work very well. My thinking was that it's better to have one on hand, in case I need it, than to not have one if I need it.

Modern ammo* can damage the op rod, if not more, and this is a way to shoot modern ammo, if you have to, without a risk of damaging a nice rifle. The principle is the same as the gas valve built into the Ljungman / Hakim / Rashid rifles ... and I have certainly used that with milsurp 8mm ammo that can be very inconsistent.

I've also got clips that will only hold limited numbers of rounds. Not sure why ... they were just there.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Want: Period correct sling (leather, tan or green web), plastic oiler, cleaning rod, multipurpose tool, plenty of ammunition.

Need: One piece, coated cleaning rod.

Lew--Ranger63

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Want: Period correct sling (leather, tan or green web), plastic oiler, cleaning rod, multipurpose tool, plenty of ammunition.

Need: One piece, coated cleaning rod.

Lew--Ranger63

Lew, if you find a good one-piece cleaning rod, post up a link! I bet there are a few of us out here who'd like one...

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I've also got clips that will only hold limited numbers of rounds. Not sure why ... they were just there.

The two round clips are for CMP match and the five round ones are often for hunting. For CMP match, you fire ten shots during the rapid fire stage, with a reload. Most people just cross two rounds in a regular clip and load it, but some prefer to use a modified clip.

There are also the SLED's, which stay in the gun and are meant to facilitate single loading for the slow fire stages of the match. They're not necessary either, but some people find them convenient. I just drop a round in the chamber, release the op rod manually by depressing the follower, and letting it slam shut.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I was looking at the Dewey rods but there are so many options and I never followed through on it. They are pretty pricey but a sound investment.

https://deweyrods.com/product/30-caliber-nylon-coated-rod-24-inches I think this was one of the ones I was looking at.

Long version: I have a couple dewey cleaning rods and they are very nice. FWIW, think about muzzle devices (if you have any) and other rifles. My 24" AR10 takes a MUCH longer rod to clean. More-so if you clean from the breech end. Mosins and other old milsurp have VERY long barrels too for example. My 30cal rod is prob 36" long. Its rarer to find small bore stuff that long so he others are shorter.

The 'short' version is: don't buy a rod based on barrel length alone:)

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    For me ammo is the only absolute must have.

I have a Dewey 24" rod and bought a muzzle guard to protect my 41 barrel
    Also bought an otis cleaning kit for portable cleaning.

Have a leather sling I'd like to learn for stabilization as another gentlemen mentioned. And bought a bayonet that is correct for my Korean era garand just because it was cool. Wouldn't buy a cheap foreign made reproduction bayonet.

Bought a combo tool and it works great for chamber cleaning.

Want.... another Garand, but that's in CMP's hands now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom