• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Maybe a little early but I got stuff to do this weekend in the garden that I should've already done. Gonna cover raised beds with compost and mulch over existing mulch. Adding an asparagus bed this year after talking to Joseph recently.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I have not even put compost into seed trays yet. I am probably going to get a cultivator to kill weeds this year. My back and forearms just can't take all the hoeing anymore. Plant rows 12" tp 14" for a 10" cultivator to tear up in between.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    No garden for me this year. Last year I only had four lousy tomato plants and only got 3 or 4 tomatoes thanks to the deer. I give up.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I've been hauling manure to try and boost our soil here in WV. I'm on top of a ridge 3/4 of the way up the mountain the soil here is more shale and small rocks than soil. Last year I brought in 45yds of topsoil just so we could have a proper garden here. I've spread somewhere around 10 ton of manure on it this fall/winter. Will send a soul sample out in spring to see if I still need more.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    I've been hauling manure to try and boost our soil here in WV. I'm on top of a ridge 3/4 of the way up the mountain the soil here is more shale and small rocks than soil. Last year I brought in 45yds of topsoil just so we could have a proper garden here. I've spread somewhere around 10 ton of manure on it this fall/winter. Will send a soul sample out in spring to see if I still need more.

One of my sons cleaned a stall the other day, so I've got about a ton,+ or -, to spread and work in.

Attachments

• IMG_20230122_104651714.jpg
      IMG_20230122_104651714.jpg
      540.3 KB · Views: 89

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county

We had terrible soil here, about 1-3" deep then sand or clay, depending where you dug.

We penned up a couple hogs, 24x60', and they tilled and fertilized it.
    After 2nd year, soil was RICH and a foot deep. Moved pen and repeated.

THAT is our garden now.

Attachments

• Sping-summer09004_zpsd5be32db~2.jpg
      Sping-summer09004_zpsd5be32db~2.jpg
      50.9 KB · Views: 108

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    We had terrible soil here, about 1-3" deep then sand or clay, depending where you dug.

We penned up a couple hogs, 24x60', and they tilled and fertilized it.
    After 2nd year, soil was RICH and a foot deep. Moved pen and repeated.

THAT is our garden now.

That's a great way to do it. My piggies have flat snouts so they don't root or I'd have to try that

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    I got a load of mushroom soil and spread on my raised beds earlier in the winter.

I've been working on putting down cardboard in the pathways and spreading mulch on top, hoping to keep the weeds more under control. I did two more walking rows this morning.

Just trying to do bits here and there so I won't have as much to worry about in the spring. IMG_20221119_131316972.jpg IMG_20221119_132239561.jpg

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    So thoughts on asparagus/strawberry/ basil and maybe a mid season cherry tomato or 2 in a 10x4 raised bed?
    Tomato plant will take up at least 4 square feet of that. Basil and tomatoes are companion plants so that's good. Basil will take up another couple square feet.

Strawberries, depending on how many, can take up some space. Figure probably a square foot per plant.

Asparagus is the real outlier. I personally would not plant it in a bed with other things. It takes up quite a bit of space if you plant enough to get a good harvest. It also deserves its own bed as it has its own unique requirements. Once planted it should produce for 20 years or more. Put it somewhere you can leave it and take care of it, not in with other plants.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Tomato plant will take up at least 4 square feet of that. Basil and tomatoes are companion plants so that's good. Basil will take up another couple square feet.

Strawberries, depending on how many, can take up some space. Figure probably a square foot per plant.

Asparagus is the real outlier. I personally would not plant it in a bed with other things. It takes up quite a bit of space if you plant enough to get a good harvest. It also deserves its own bed as it has its own unique requirements. Once planted it should produce for 20 years or more. Put it somewhere you can leave it and take care of it, not in with other plants.
    Your not wrong, thanks for the reality check. 10x4 isn't a lot of space

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    Your not wrong, thanks for the reality check. 10x4 isn't a lot of space
    It's not a lot of space but with the right plant selection you could grow a lot in it. You could certainly grow your tomato plant, several basil plants and at least 25 strawberry plants in that space.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    So thoughts on asparagus/strawberry/ basil and maybe a mid season cherry tomato or 2 in a 10x4 raised bed?

Watch how the sun moves across it and plant toms where they won’t shade everything come August. Mainly the strawberries. Also, grow up vertical when you can. My tomatoes last year got up to 10’. Had to get ladder out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Do
    And I am envious of you guys with livestock, except all the work ya need to do

Don't be I just spent the last 10 min getting chased and nearly gored by a 350lb boar hog. His little girlfriends are in heat guess he figured me for competition. Brings me joy to turn his children into bacon.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Do

Don't be I just spent the last 10 min getting chased and nearly gored by a 350lb boar hog. His little girlfriends are in heat guess he figured me for competition. Brings me joy to turn his children into bacon.
    For that you probably want sheep rather than sows. At least that is what the folklore indicates.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    Mid 50s and sunny today. A perfect day to play in the garden. It’s still a bit over two months away from frost free but I can continue to get things prepped.

Went through and finished clearing out the asparagus bed that was a mess from last season. Lightly tilled just the surface and spread out some mushroom compost on top. I also have a couple bales of straw that I intend to spread there once the spears start sprouting. It makes me happy to see it looking “clean” again

Also turned in some other mushroom compost I had spread on my raised beds awhile back. That compost is really going to add a nice touch to those beds.

Took down my cucumber trellis and prepped that area too. I want to get something to edge that area also and better “define” it. Once I get that done I’ll reinstall the trellis.

Too nice of a day not to take advantage and get outside work done.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    After 26 years wife and I have decided not to plant a garden this year. It’s weird not be starting seeds right now. I already sort of miss it. We decided it’s just going to be a fallow year. I’ll fertilize and mulch the beds and that’s it. We will see…. Still have fruit trees, nut trees and berries though.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Decided to move the garden to the back yard right next to the house from the barnyard this year thinking that walking 5 feet to weed/water should increase our mid-season involvement.

What are you guys thoughts on raised beds that:

1. Are cheap...yes cheap
    2. Won't fall apart after 2 years

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom