• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Started some peppers for me and two super sweet 100 cherry tomatoes for my wife. I’m going to attempt to grow some cherry tomatoes over the winter, I’ll post more about that later.
    758F23D6-A08A-4CC5-BA75-3DCD74FF20E5.jpeg

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    A couple of the tomatoes just popped up through the soil

FB3040FF-BE41-4188-83A3-A722DD576F46.jpeg

Attachments

• AB5F5F85-3F3B-4250-B234-50AE2C8E9CF6.jpeg
      AB5F5F85-3F3B-4250-B234-50AE2C8E9CF6.jpeg
      349.8 KB · Views: 44

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Just got myself this gardening book. My wife knows the author who is a very knowledgeable gardener/homesteader

44E47C1A-2590-4822-A0ED-69F869B5BC46.jpeg

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    This is one area of prepping and personal interest that I’ve severely neglected. I’ve always wanted to create a garden but I live on a virtual ski slope. My daughter who has a house in Georgia had taken up the mantle and is starting a modest vegetable/ herb garden this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Hello,

I am thinking about growing some jalapeño, red bells and some tomatoes in 5g buckets this year on the porch. That way they don’t get lost in the weeds out in the big garden.

Cross pollination is a thing. Ended up with some very mild cayenne peppers last year as they cavorted with my bells. Oddly none of the bells picked up any heat.

Edit: My 'mater plants are an honest 12" tall already. Should I start another batch? Seems in previous years my 'maters began dying before their time. Always thought I killed them but now I'm thinking old age. What say ye?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Cross pollination is a thing. Ended up with some very mild cayenne peppers last year as they cavorted with my bells. Oddly none of the bells picked up any heat.

Edit: My 'mater plants are an honest 12" tall already. Should I start another batch? Seems in previous years my 'maters began dying before their time. Always thought I killed them but now I'm thinking old age. What say ye?
    Ive heard of cross polination, but that it affects next years seeds, meaning not this years peppers but the plants grown from the cross pollinated peppers. And basically there are hotter pepper plants and milder ones.

Also if you like bell peppers, try Marconi peppers. I think they taste better and are faster growing than bell peppers

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Ive heard of cross polination, but that it affects next years seeds, meaning not this years peppers but the plants grown from the cross pollinated peppers. And basically there are hotter pepper plants and milder ones.

Also if you like bell peppers, try Marconi peppers. I think they taste better and are faster growing than bell peppers
    I'm far far far from being an expert but in my mind's blind eye, I thought the cross pollination occurs at the flower/fruit level. I can say with certainty that some cayenne peppers were waaaaay hotter than others from the same plant. Last year was the first year for bells and the first time I noticed the variability. :shrug: I'm kind of afraid to go down the interwebs rabbit hole on this one but likely will.

Thanks for the tip on Marconis although I'm not sure I'll do any bell type peppers.

What do you think about my 'mater woes?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    How big of a container are your 12” tomato plants in? Are you giving them any nutes? Are they under a grow light or in a greenhouse or something?

12” in early April are going to be pretty big to be transplanting to the ground in mid May. Might be worth starting another batch.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    My 'mater plants are an honest 12" tall already. Should I start another batch? Seems in previous years my 'maters began dying before their time. Always thought I killed them but now I'm thinking old age. What say ye?
    What variety of tomatoes? Any indeterminate variety shouldn't really be affected. Tomato plants will survive up until frost with proper care. They can certainly succumb to pests, disease, etc. Otherwise it shouldn't be a problem. I would say to try not to stress them too much while they are young (get too cold, too dry, transplant shock, etc). I personally would be happy with 12" tall plants right now. In a few weeks, I'd plant them horizontally a couple inches deep and just turn up about 5-6 inches of top growth above ground. All that buried stem will grow roots and you'll have a very strong plant.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    What variety of tomatoes? Any indeterminate variety shouldn't really be affected. Tomato plants will survive up until frost with proper care. They can certainly succumb to pests, disease, etc. Otherwise it shouldn't be a problem. I would say to try not to stress them too much while they are young (get too cold, too dry, transplant shock, etc). I personally would be happy with 12" tall plants right now. In a few weeks, I'd plant them horizontally a couple inches deep and just turn up about 5-6 inches of top growth above ground. All that buried stem will grow roots and you'll have a very strong plant.
    Thanks, I do containers and repot 3 times burying them deeper/bigger each time. They do great but really fade Septemberish. I do not have a place as the sun gets lower and trees still with foliage that gets nice sun. I  think that is at least part of my woes.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Thanks, I do containers and repot 3 times burying them deeper/bigger each time. They do great but really fade Septemberish. I do not have a place as the sun gets lower and trees still with foliage that gets nice sun. I  think that is at least part of my woes.
    Do they fruit? Or just die off?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I'm far far far from being an expert but in my mind's blind eye, I thought the cross pollination occurs at the flower/fruit level. I can say with certainty that some cayenne peppers were waaaaay hotter than others from the same plant. Last year was the first year for bells and the first time I noticed the variability. :shrug: I'm kind of afraid to go down the interwebs rabbit hole on this one but likely will.

Thanks for the tip on Marconis although I'm not sure I'll do any bell type peppers.

I dunno either, they say no. But i had habanero peppers next to jalapenos once and one of the jalapenos were super hot. Be it from the plant itself or cross pollination, stuff I read says no.

Couple articles.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013

I've started too early before, nice thing about tomatoes is that if you plant them deeper the whole stem below grade will root out. so just plant them deeper when you transplant and let them get some wind and cool in the meantime to help them hardy up

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom