• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    Deer was back this afternoon to finish off the lettuce (literally standing in the raised box munchin). Grabbed my daughter and pointed the enemy out to her out the window.

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    You should have got out the Red Ryder....
    Used to do that with the groundhogs.....sting them and they take off, but they're right back the next day. This doe is a rather bold, stubborn b*tch. Same one each afternoon. Can yell at it out the window, will look at you, then keep going about her garden munchin business. Dog runs it off and she still comes back as soon as he comes back in.

firemanyz

MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    The doe with the fawn is terrorizing my garden again. Jumping 4' fences when there is plenty to eat elsewhere. I got A frame fence trellises and she got tangled in them or something eating my cucumbers again. They were pulled out of the ground with their stakes and tossed around in the garden. one was bent up and two other tossed around. I am assuming she got her head in a section of open fence and got tangled and freaked. She also jumped my neighbors garden fence and ate all the beans I was growing in there.

The damn menace came down last evening while I was cultivating the corn to kill weeds and stared at me from 30 yards, unsacred like "I'll be back for that later."

Deer was back this afternoon to finish off the lettuce (literally standing in the raised box munchin). Grabbed my daughter and pointed the enemy out to her out the window.
    I have to tell you last year the deer murdered my cucumbers. I bought deer out and sprayed and I never saw another deer in the garden.

Kids sprayed the plants when they were first planted this year and I feel the oils killed a bunch of plants. But the also sprayed around the perimeter and knock on wood we are doing ok this year. Actually now that the plants are established I may use it again this weekend.

I would 100% recommend this stuff.

Deer Out 32oz Concentrate Deer Repellent https://a.co/d/291qoLi

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    The doe with the fawn is terrorizing my garden again. Jumping 4' fences when there is plenty to eat elsewhere. I got A frame fence trellises and she got tangled in them or something eating my cucumbers again. They were pulled out of the ground with their stakes and tossed around in the garden. one was bent up and two other tossed around. I am assuming she got her head in a section of open fence and got tangled and freaked. She also jumped my neighbors garden fence and ate all the beans I was growing in there.

The damn menace came down last evening while I was cultivating the corn to kill weeds and stared at me from 30 yards, unsacred like "I'll be back for that later."

Is there anything you can disrupt the area they land in when jumping the fence? Not sure how big your area is but they don’t like to jump into enclosed area or within obstacles. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I run 2 lines of masons twine around the neighbors garden up on sticks. So it looks like a 6' fence. It worked until the sticks broke. Might have to do that here. She is just brazen. Last night sitting on the driveway with my dog and watching my daughters. The two labs wanted to chase balls, since I had nothing else to do. The doe comes out of the hedgerow 50 yards away and stares at us. Doesn't run, just staring. Threw the ball with dogs in toe and she took off. I doubt it will help though.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    My next door neighbor has 3 pit bulls. The deer walk right along the fence line essentially taunting them. They had no problem being in my yard getting barked at.

I used to come out every morning to at least 6 does in the back yard, and a few out front. I put a solar rope light and set it to flash about 2 weeks ago. Since then I've only seen a few in the back yard, and they were there late in the afternoon. None in the early morning.

I might put a few more out there.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Did not stake my peppers adequately and as I feared, the weight from the rain resulted in a nice, well yielding branch of a cayenne break off.

Attachments

• IMG_20230622_101216298_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20230622_101216298_HDR.jpg
      269.9 KB · Views: 42

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    Hey guys - my wife and I were dealing with an unexpected diagnosis and initial treatment during the starting and planting time this year. She loves to garden, but thinks she missed the time to do anything. I would love to help her not miss out, but my knowledge is very limited.

Are there any options to get veggies or flowers in there now? Could I do starts that are well established To make up the time? i think seeds are way too late - correct?

Thanks.

edit - raised beds we put in last year.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Hey guys - my wife and I were dealing with an unexpected diagnosis and initial treatment during the starting and planting time this year. She loves to garden, but thinks she missed the time to do anything. I would love to help her not miss out, but my knowledge is very limited.

Are there any options to get veggies or flowers in there now? Could I do starts that are well established To make up the time? i think seeds are way too late - correct?

Thanks.

I may be able to help you with tomatoes. I have some cherry tomato starts that I will not be needing. They are about 12-18” tall. I have about a dozen of them.
    I will be at the Essen Room get together on Sunday and could bring them with me if you wanted to pick some up. Just tell me how many to bring.

IMG_9487.jpeg

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Did not stake my peppers adequately and as I feared, the weight from the rain resulted in a nice, well yielding branch of a cayenne break off.
    I use end stakes and middle poles. Usually stake, 4 plants, Stake, 4 plants, stake. Then Florida weave the string on them. Works better and easier than trying to stake and tie each plant. This keep breakage to a minimum.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    I may be able to help you with tomatoes. I have some cherry tomato starts that I will not be needing. They are about 12-18” tall. I have about a dozen of them.
    I will be at the Essen Room get together on Sunday and could bring them with me if you wanted to pick some up. Just tell me how many to bring.

View attachment 419182
    Hey man - greatly appreciate the offer and I would like to make the Essen room, but i am also a pastor in addition to my lawyer job so I can’t make Sunday events. Those are some great looking tomatoes, though, thanks!

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Deer are why I went to exclusively potted plants on our raised deck. These were part of our transplants back on June 3rd (the plants are much bigger now). We are growing just tomatoes and peppers.

20230603_155157.jpg

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County

Thanks.

You could put in some bush beans, zucchini, squash. Like the bush or pic n pic types that grow and produce quick. I am getting ready to put some more in so they will be growing after the vine borers and squash bugs are done laying eggs. With some shade cloth maybe some kale and lettuce. Just cut them early or they will bolt with the heat quick. Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom