• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    There are several scope companies all offering great scopes for MARS/PRS/NRL type competition. Athlon, Vortex and Arken are probably the most common. The main specs should include:
    1) have a First Focal Plane reticle
    2) have variable magnification (most are in the 4-8x low to ~25-30X high range)
    3) have a significant amount of elevation adjustment using a turret (usually 50+ MOA) more the better, especially if shooting 300+ yards and ELR
    4) have a reticle that you like (highly personal), but must have good elevation and windage gradations
    5) brighter (larger tube and objective lens) is better
    6) nice to have a scope company that has a proven record of positive and timely warranty response and after-sales customer support
    7) scope does NOT have to be MIL graduated - both MOA and MIL work although MIL is more common

Examples of scopes with these specs can be found for each of the above mentioned vendors, in a wide variety of quality and price. Personal budget and current sales promotion considerations often dictate which is the "best" value in each price range at any given time. Others will recommend specific scopes, but basically any scope from the three mentioned vendors that meets the above specs will be excellent for MARS/PRS/NRL use.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    What are some scopes recommendation to get someone new into the MARS competition?
    I would try a match before buying a scope of you are new. At just about every club, someone will have a spare rifle setup for you to try. If not, let me know and I'll come and loan you one for the match.

What KRC posted is really spot on. Reticles are really personal preference. If you go to a match, people will let you look through their scopes if you ask. It definitely helps to see things in person vs online. Sometimes there are color palettes or tones that really stand out to you but not others.

The best value currently is probably the arken scopes. I would go mil based as roughly 75-90% of people are using it which makes it easier to learn, double check data, and have them call corrections after you shoot.

Czguy

Jul 12, 2022
    Maryland
    What are some scopes recommendation to get someone new into the MARS competition?
    You definitely need a first focal plane scope. There are many options. It really depends on how deep you want to dive in to the sport. A lot of shooters use Arken scopes either the SH4 or the EP5. The EP5 definitely has better glass. Vortex has several options. Personally I run all vortex scopes. The strike eagle is a great scope for the money. If your a law enforcement, first responder, current or prior military you can get a great discount from www.expertvoice.com. most of the top shooters are running the vortex razor gen2 or gen3. Zero compromise and Nightforce atcr are also options if you have an unlimited budget.

Hope this helps. I have a Arken SH4 that I would be willing to sell for $350 if you are interested.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    KRC, Swaim13, and CZguy,

Thank you for your help & suggestions on scopes!

Similar to CZguy, I have a CZ 452 American, except that it's left-handed!

As luck would have it, I did buy an Arken SH-4 gen2 4-16x50 scope when they had them on sale. I have/had a Leupie VXII 3-9x33mm efr scope on it.

Mine concern is that the Arken scope, as well as the other scopes mentioned are huge, not mention a lot more heavy!! That bulk and weight is going to take a while to get use to. Plus I still need to add a bipod that ups the overall weight. Also got to learn how to use those complex reticles and how to dial turrets.

CZguy, how competitive is the CZ452/455/457 in these MARS/NLA22/PRS events? Are they well represented at these matches? Or do Vudoo and RimX with high-end scope dominant them?

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    You will find plenty of CZ's at the matches. I run the MPA version of the CZ457.

Go to any match with what you have and just have fun. There are always people willing to help and loan gear.

Where are you located, I'm sure some of the members here would be willing to help you get setup for your first match.

Czguy

Jul 12, 2022
    Maryland
    KRC, Swaim13, and CZguy,

Thank you for your help & suggestions on scopes!

Similar to CZguy, I have a CZ 452 American, except that it's left-handed!

As luck would have it, I did buy an Arken SH-4 gen2 4-16x50 scope when they had them on sale. I have/had a Leupie VXII 3-9x33mm efr scope on it.

Mine concern is that the Arken scope, as well as the other scopes mentioned are huge, not mention a lot more heavy!! That bulk and weight is going to take a while to get use to. Plus I still need to add a bipod that ups the overall weight. Also got to learn how to use those complex reticles and how to dial turrets.

CZguy, how competitive is the CZ452/455/457 in these MARS/NLA22/PRS events? Are they well represented at these matches? Or do Vudoo and RimX with high-end scope dominant them?

Czguy

Jul 12, 2022
    Maryland
    I shoot a Vudoo now, my son still shoots a cz457 with a Shilen Select Match barrel. The CZ's are extremely competitive. As a matter of fact, the MARS regional championship last year at Marianna gun club was won by a guy shooting a bone stock 457 with an Arken optic. You won't see a noticeable difference in accuracy between the Vudoo, Rim X, and CZ until you start reaching out to 200 yards. That is if you do your job and lot test quality ammo (SK, Eley, lapua). The Vudoo and Rim X will prevail out to 300 against a factory CZ barrel. The gap is closed considerably if you re- barrel the CZ. My son's cz and my Vudoo shoot very close in accuracy at 300 yards. In a nutshell, you can't go wrong with a CZ. I competed my first year in MARS mostly using a 24" factory CZ barrel. I was Rookie of the year and finished 20th or 22nd in the series.

Attached are photos my 22'. My son's cz is the black MDT chassis. My Vudoo is the blue and black camo. Included are my other 2 cz457's.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    You will find plenty of CZ's at the matches. I run the MPA version of the CZ457.

Go to any match with what you have and just have fun. There are always people willing to help and loan gear.

Where are you located, I'm sure some of the members here would be willing to help you get setup for your first match.
    MacGuns,

I'm from the Germantown/Gaithersburg area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom