• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I've used some GECO makarov ammo and it seemed to work fine though I really did not do any extensive testing regarding acuracy. No FTF or FTE. Of course, I've never had any problems with my Makarov - I don't think you could make that thing fail if you tried...

But I digress...

I found an ad for GECO 22lr. I like to buy mini mag or wolf for 22lr but can't find them in stock anywhere. My Marlin 795 is pretty reliable with mini mag and wolf but other brands (particularly normal velocity) occasionally cause an FTE.

Has anyone tried GECO 22lr? What do you think of it. Reliable? Accurate? I might use this at an appleseed or for practice before going to an appleseed.

Here is the ad I found

http://murphysammo.com/shop/index.php?id_product=77&controller=product

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Pretty decent stuff. I still prefer CCI Standard as my go-to, but GECO is equally reliable and fairly accurate. Only complaint on GECO is they wax it for reliability, which is kind of odd. I haven't shot it enough to say whether there is any downside/buildup to the waxing.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Pretty decent stuff. I still prefer CCI Standard as my go-to, but GECO is equally reliable and fairly accurate. Only complaint on GECO is they wax it for reliability, which is kind of odd. I haven't shot it enough to say whether there is any downside/buildup to the waxing.

I've noticed some kind of wax or oil on Wolf 22lr also. I did a lot of testing with mini mag and wolf and found those two to be both very accurate. All things being equal though not sure if that extra oil/wax on the wolf is good or not - it does get all over your fingers as you load it.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    Here's a 100 yard target from some bench testing I was doing. It was giving very consistent groups that morning.

Geco "Rifle" (subsonic)

coj9.jpg

And here's a compilation of ninety 50 yard 3-shot groups out of two different types of rifle:

mkmnt8q.jpg

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Interesting results. The GECO Auto did better out of the second rifle than the first rifle. The results very much depended on the rifle, eh?

Actually, I was looking at the first two groups of GECO auto on the second rifle. But the third grouping doubled in size which pushed the average up...

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I would buy a box or two to test. Not 5000rds. Some of my pistols are picky, especially with subsonic.

If it works fine then 11cts/rd for match ammo us a really great price.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Here's a 100 yard target from some bench testing I was doing. It was giving very consistent groups that morning.

Geco "Rifle" (subsonic)

coj9.jpg

And here's a compilation of ninety 50 yard 3-shot groups out of two different types of rifle:

mkmnt8q.jpg

Wow, that is some nice shooting! What kind of rifle are you using?

I've noticed the waxy/oily feel on Wolf too. I'm always wiping my hands off every magazine or 2 when I use it.

BTW, if you haven't tried it already, I get very nice performance from Aguila Super Extra SV and their match 22 ammo, can't remember the exact name of the match offering. Prices are reasonable too when it's available.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    380acp

I've used the Geco 380, know it is apples and oranges but was very pleased with ammo. No FTF or FTE with 100 rds through a Colt Mustang.

Stay away from BVA . I put BVA 380 in a brand new gun with near 100% failures, and thought my gun was no good. I put the BVA rounds next to the Geco, then next to some Federal rounds. The Geco and Federal were the same size, the BVA was a tad longer and the bullet was fatter and blunter, like a 38spl was pressed in.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    Wow, that is some nice shooting! What kind of rifle are you using?

BTW, if you haven't tried it already, I get very nice performance from Aguila Super Extra SV and their match 22 ammo, can't remember the exact name of the match offering. Prices are reasonable too when it's available.

There are two rifles there - a Remington 597 semi auto and a Kimber 82G.

Keep in mind, those groups are shot off sandbags with a scope, on several different shooting days.

Aquila SE is fine. I find it on par with CCI-SV, if a bit dirtier. It is subject to occasional fliers, but not too bad.

It would be fine for Appleseed too, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom