• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    Has anyone dealt with Gemtech warranty services recently. My father has a titanium sandstorm that was sent back. The outer tube had a crack through the engraving. It has approx 200rds of 6.8 through it. S&W just returned an email stating that the crack isn’t due to materials or workmanship and are asking for a few hundred for a replacement suppressor.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    I’ve never had an issue with my titanium Gemtech patrolman but it would be hard to imagine a crack through the engraving not being an manufacturing defect.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Has anyone dealt with Gemtech warranty services recently. My father has a titanium sandstorm that was sent back. The outer tube had a crack through the engraving. It has approx 200rds of 6.8 through it. S&W just returned an email stating that the crack isn’t due to materials or workmanship and are asking for a few hundred for a replacement suppressor.
    A crack through the engraving requires a new can. The engraved/serialized part is the actual suppressor, not the other parts of it.

So, if the tube is engraved, the tube is the suppressor. Not the end caps, baffles, mounts, pistons, etc...

The engraved part is not able to be replaced with the serial number from the original can. NFA Branch is very adamant about that under federal law.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    After a bit of escalation we were able to get S&W to agree that the failure is a warranty issue. They are offering a like replacement and to cover the cost of the new stamp.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    A crack through the engraving requires a new can. The engraved/serialized part is the actual suppressor, not the other parts of it.

So, if the tube is engraved, the tube is the suppressor. Not the end caps, baffles, mounts, pistons, etc...

The engraved part is not able to be replaced with the serial number from the original can. NFA Branch is very adamant about that under federal law.
    Close. THE manufacturer (same SOT) may replace the serialized part with an identical unit and is required to destroy the failed original. They may opt not to do this for a variety of reasons, of course.

If the manufacturer has changed licenses (such as when aac was bought by Remington/freedom group), they are no longer THE manufacturer. New license/SOT. I suspect this is the case with gemtech as I believe they are now a subsidiary rather than an independent and most acquisitions seem to get a new license, closing out the old books and starting fresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom