• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I'd like to hear opinions... does this look like a useful addition to a range bag, or more like a gimmick that one should avoid in favor of a handful of individual tools that accomplish the same purpose?

I wouldn't be interested at $176 or even the sale price listed here of $120... but I saw it recently marked on clearance elsewhere for $85.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/gerber-mp1-ar.html

Details:

Spring-loaded, forged steel needle nose plier jaws
    Wire cutter
    Wire stripper
    Full-size serrated blade
    Full-size fine edge blade
    Takedown pin punch
    Contoured carbon scraper for cleaning the bolt and inside the bolt carrier
    Dental style carbon pick for cleaning the bolt’s ejector area and other hard-to-reach parts of the weapon
    Magnetic driver accepts standard sized bits

MOLLE compatible coyote nylon sheath

12-piece bit set includes:
    Torx bits
    Hex bits
    Philips bits
    Front sight adjustment tool
    Trigger assembly pin punch

Attachments

• gerber_mp1_ar.jpg
      gerber_mp1_ar.jpg
      28 KB · Views: 162

Randy Wood

Jan 30, 2010
    I guess it all depends on how much wire cutting and wire stripping you intend to do while at the range...

My suggestion is to skip this and just keep a front sight adjustment tool and an appropriate hollow-ground flat blade screwdriver in your range bag instead.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Personally I would rather have a general purpose multi tool, a small set of gp and firearm specific tools, and some spare parts like bolts and firing pins than a firearms specific multi tool:

I like the idea of an AR specific multi tool, but have never successfully found one that does much for me. I’m not in basic training at the moment, so I have no use for a carbon scraper of any kind. Dental pick maybe for pulling on small parts, but I already carry a Dewey compact cleaning kit that can do that. Strip that stuff away and I fail to see what any of these tools do better than a compact pack of specific tools that cost maybe 20-30 bucks. Plus I already own somewhere between zero and infinity multi tools (zero if I’m in a hurry and need one right now, infinity if I’m not looking for one). The only one that comes close is the multitasker twist. Maybe if I only had aim points or something.

Now something I did buy recently to throw in my range kit is this guy:

https://store.fixitsticks.com/collections/all-shooting/products/multi-torque-driver-kit

TBH I’ve already taken it out of my range bag because it is awesome and I keep using it for other things.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads