• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Does anybody know what the going rate for a k98 is say ok condition. Not asking for an exact price but a round about idea. I have 1 and I'm thinking about selling it. If I do decide to let it go I'd list it with pics in the classifieds.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Does anybody know what the going rate for a k98 is say ok condition. Not asking for an exact price but a round about idea. I have 1 and I'm thinking about selling it. If I do decide to let it go I'd list it with pics in the classifieds.

Prices run across the board and there are so many variables.
    Would need a lot more info like serial # matching ? import marked ? bore condition ? and detailed pics to just get in the ball park.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Ok i'm learning. I bought in 10 years ago and its been in the safe. I'll try to post picks later but I did look at it and the numbers on the receiver and stock match but don't match the bolt or anything else. Bore looks good. Stock is fair with no cracks. Has import marks on barrel that look like TGI knox TN 98K. It has 1939 on it for a date and all the German markings are there. Like I said I'll try to post pics later.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Ok i'm learning. I bought in 10 years ago and its been in the safe. I'll try to post picks later but I did look at it and the numbers on the receiver and stock match but don't match the bolt or anything else. Bore looks good. Stock is fair with no cracks. Has import marks on barrel that look like TGI knox TN 98K. It has 1939 on it for a date and all the German markings are there. Like I said I'll try to post pics later.

If it's German some manufacturer codes/years are more rare than others and desired by collectors.
    Just from your last post I'm guessing it's a Russian Capture.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    The manufacturer code is 147. There is a mark on the receiver that looks like a v but it could be an X for the Russian capture mark.

This might help some.

Yes, the marking on the front receiver ring that resembles an "X" denotes that it is a "RC" (Russian Capture) rifle.
    Also, the force matched serial numbers, or mis-matched numbers are common on RC K98k rifles.

Now, I am NO EXPERT on the K98k. I just like the rifle's look and their strength.

Here is a site that gives manufacturer's codes and the serial number start/end for each year listed.

http://www.mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/kodyen.html

As for worth........... I've paid as low as $129.00 for a really decent K98k, to as much as $249.00 for a K98k. (I own 3.)

An all numbers matching K98k CAN go for well over $1,000 and more.

FWIW, I was going to Colonial Beach, to see/assess/buy a nice ALL-ORIGINAL K98k, a few years ago, that a WWII vet brought home.

I saw pics, and it was GORGEOUS. The stated/quoted price was $1,000.00.

It was gone, before I got across the Harry Nice Bridge!!!!!!

Just for kicks and grins, here is my 1st K98k acquisition, a byf 43.
    I got my screen-name from this rifle. When I bought it, I wanted/needed to learn what I could about the rifle, and the only thing I could think to use as a screen-name, is byf43.

I spent a LOT of time, working on the stock to get the oil and grease out of it!
    There is a repair to the stock between the barrel bands, that is original to the stock. That piece fell out, while cleaning the stock.
    I re-repaired it.
    ("I" think the rifle turned out pretty nice.) It shoots very well, too, with Yugo surplus ammo. :)

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I want to thank all you guys for the help. I had it out taking pics to post and my 21 year old son said to me If your thinking about selling it I want it. So me being dad I told him if I sell it it's his. Thanks again and I learned a lot if a short time frame. And byf43 mine can't even come close to looking as nice as yours.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Thanks for the kind words, BUT, any of them can look as good, if not better than mine.

That stock was LOADED with oil and grease, especially in/on the wrist of the stock.

I bought some 'stuff' called "Whiting" and that drew a LOT of the grease out of the wrist, making a paste along with acetone.

To finish it off, I used only a scotchbrite pad (gray!), then a vacuumed it, and several wipe-downs with a tack cloth.

I hand-rubbed in several coats of Danish Oil, and wiped down with clean lint-free rags.

There's several hand-rubbed coats of Johnson's Paste Wax that was put on two months after the last coat of oil.

A good friend of mine has done several of these laminated stock, and he's used denatured alcohol and an old industrial (single edged) razorblade, as a scraper, to remove a LOT of the shellac.

He used Formula 409 to de-grease, then washes with Simple Green and rinse with hot water.

Scotchbrite pad rub down, then Danish Oil only, is how he finishes his.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom