• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I keep lots of extra water in my vehicles year round for search and rescue. They freeze in the winter, but I don't think I've ever had a water bottle break. The bottles have a lot of give in them so they will swell and deform, but they don't break. Now I go through them pretty regularly so I'm not sure how the would do if they went through a couple of years of freezing cycles, but a couple of freezes and thaws will probably be no problem.
    I leave a little extra space for expansion then seal up the caps. No bursts or caps

Triggerfinger

States Rights!
    Sep 1, 2012
    Richlands, North Carolina
    You're just trying to get home, that's it. First your packing changes based on season. Packing requirements change for cold, hot, wet, dry etc. More water, less water, more clothing, less clothing. No bag is static. Change it to reflect whatever need with a bare minimum of gadgets. You can't pack for every contingency, so pack for the most probable.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Ever play with this?

They've been through some name changes and the latest one is kinda dumb. They were Navteq. You can download different maps for off-line use and don't expire.

A dedicated handheld is nice to have too but then you have to worry about power unless you have portable solar to charge.

I wasn't impressed with they satellite maps and somewhat expected for a small device. It was also a subscription service not worth it to me, but once downloaded you had that version available.

Last edited:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    You're just trying to get home, that's it. First your packing changes based on season. Packing requirements change for cold, hot, wet, dry etc. More water, less water, more clothing, less clothing. No bag is static. Change it to reflect whatever need with a bare minimum of gadgets. You can't pack for every contingency, so pack for the most probable.
    I’ve added a big box to the back of the truck. I call it my pick n chose bin. For just the reasons you’ve noted.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This! I'm far from the 20 something stud I used to be (or at least the one I have convinced myself I used to be). Middle age has settled in, I've got bad knees and am carrying at least 30-40 lbs that I can do without (and I'm not talking about my pack)... but I have been getting out and walking at least a couple of miles (I usually get in 4-5) every day, and most days, I put on my search and rescue bag just for the extra 20 lbs. It helps... plus my wife usually walks with me and it is nice quiet time with the Mrs. I might not be able to consistently do 25 miles per day in rough country, but could I make it 100 miles in a week across a fairly familiar area... I'm pretty sure that is reasonable.

The only really good thing about carrying extra calories around one's mid section, is I'm not too worried about loading down the truck with MREs... I keep a couple of food items in the kit, but water is more important. I can live off the blubber layer for a few days without worrying too much about it.
    A keep in mind, it helps, but anyone is going to have their energy level crash after a couple of days of not eating. You just aren’t going to die, but your endurance is going to plummet. It’s best to ration food even if all you are eating is a couple of hundred calories a day. Those ration food cubes, which are basically sugar and fat chews with vitamins in them are actually great for that. Only like 300-400 calories a day for a “days worth” if I am remembering right, but it’ll help your energy level a lot. Even if you are still super hungry. That and frankly leaving a couple bricks of survival bars (the type for life rafts) in a vehicle isn’t a bad idea. About as energy dense as you can get. Not great eating though.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    20 miles on foot in maybe very adverse MD weather with extra weight from gear, with maybe a few 1000 other people all walking around and stressed. It seems to me like a lot of people aren't anywhere close to being able to make it home (including me).

Only way I'm making it back is if I have a bicycle or scooter of some sort.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Little perspective. Downtown Annapolis to downtown Glen Burnie using Rt 97 is twenty miles. Depends on what puts you afoot. It’s not going to be a one day trip walking the highway and avoiding nervous on edge people. It’s going to be a slow going cutting through woods and neighborhoods. Ritchie Hwy would be problematic too, again depending on event.

Triggerfinger

States Rights!
    Sep 1, 2012
    If in a SHTF scenario and having to walk home,
    I think I have a grace period of 48 hours before it's gets wacky. I don't envision running gun battles, long campfire cooking or wilderness survival. I see a walking marathon day and night to get home with a pack that provides warm dry clothes, walking shoes, a poncho, water and food, a map, some medicines, a sharp long knife, pepper spray and flashlight.
    I want to move fast, avoid crowds and bad areas, don't draw attention, and just be another guy going home.
    What happens after I get home will be better dealt with than me out on the road playing Ricky Ranger.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I think I have a grace period of 48 hours before it's gets wacky. I don't envision running gun battles, long campfire cooking or wilderness survival. I see a walking marathon day and night to get home with a pack that provides warm dry clothes, walking shoes, a poncho, water and food, a map, some medicines, a sharp long knife, pepper spray and flashlight.
    I want to move fast, avoid crowds and bad areas, don't draw attention, and just be another guy going home.
    What happens after I get home will be better dealt with than me out on the road playing Ricky Ranger.
    Make sure to leave your braced short arm at home. Your gray man kit is now less one option…

—————

Dint know how I forgot. Sturdy, waterproof, well fit shoes or (hiking) boots and wool socks. Your dogs will thank you.

Last edited:

Triggerfinger

States Rights!
    Sep 1, 2012
    Make sure to leave your braced short arm at home. Your gray man kit is now less one option…

—————

Dint know how I forgot. Sturdy, waterproof, well fit shoes or (hiking) boots and wool socks. Your dogs will thank you.
    No other item will make or break you than your shoes on a walk. Bad shoes will destroy you. Every 3 months at Fort Drum we marched 12 miles in 3 hours with a full ruck (about 70 pounds). I say march, but in order to do it in 3 hours you're jogging the whole way. If your boots don't fit, you're going to get blisters and then you're done.
    Select carefully, walking shoes need to be tested before the long march, in realistic conditions that will prove good or bad for your feet and legs.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Many apps on a "smart" phone require internet service to run.

Last November I visited my dad in Denver and we went on a hike up Starr Peake with an experienced guide. He said he had been up this route dozens of times. On the way back down he took a short cut and got us lost. I had my Android Pixel running GrapheneOS. The app I was using was the OsmAndroid, which stands for Open Street Map for Android. It allows you to down load maps to your phone and use your GPS on the phone without internet connectivity. Everyone else in our group had an Apple phone which wouldn't even display the maps without internet, which we didn't have. I set a marker where our vehicle was and was able to guide the group to them until we met back with the trail.

I'd still like to take a real land nav course. REI offers one a few times a year. Anyone take that or can recommend something else?
    For those that want to practice orienteering, Little Bennett Park, in MoCo has a permanent orienteering course that is open to the public when the park is open.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Little perspective. Downtown Annapolis to downtown Glen Burnie using Rt 97 is twenty miles. Depends on what puts you afoot. It’s not going to be a one day trip walking the highway and avoiding nervous on edge people. It’s going to be a slow going cutting through woods and neighborhoods. Ritchie Hwy would be problematic too, again depending on event.
    No need to cut through the woods, there is a walking/bike trial that follows the old rail line from Annapolis up to Glen Burnie.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    You guys are making it harder than it should be. Random pics from big city blackouts.

o-110184228-900.jpg
    14cnd-power.slide4.jpg
    520b828b69bedd6a25000027
    520b828cecad04b16e00001d
    170811_blackout_2_1.jpg
    wp-content%252Fuploads%252F2015%252F10%252Fblackout-10.jpg%252Foriginal.jpg
    081418_blackout_3-260x174.jpg
    62ce30c2ac22a.image.jpg
    f196e6d3ee9cfbea0802acbfee6f99e0.jpg
    wp-content%252Fuploads%252F2015%252F10%252Fblackout-17.jpg%252Foriginal.jpg
    wp-content%252Fuploads%252F2015%252F10%252Fblackout-15.jpg%252Foriginal.jpg
    aftermath-of-1977-blackout-power-failure-storefront-gates-failed-to-picture-id97212393

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    +1

I don't see things getting crazy unless whatever incident is so big that it becomes obvious that things won't be going back to normal anytime soon.

and obviously bad neighborhoods will be bad neighborhoods.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Not sure if anyone mentioned it before, but I keep a sandwich bag with a half dozen or so pieces of fatwood in the kit. I know there are a million ideas for fire starters, but that stuff is the bomb... can light it with a single match. And a good sized piece will burn like the devil for 5 to 10 mins. If you can't start a fire with that stuff, are probably under water.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Fatwood & cotton balls with Vaseline. I cut the usual 8" long sticks into several 2" ones, much easier to store in a BOB.
    The Vaselene & cotton balls are the backup ignition if i have to go to ceramic sparkler or Blast match "flint & Steel" as it won't light them directly.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Not sure if anyone mentioned it before, but I keep a sandwich bag with a half dozen or so pieces of fatwood in the kit. I know there are a million ideas for fire starters, but that stuff is the bomb... can light it with a single match. And a good sized piece will burn like the devil for 5 to 10 mins. If you can't start a fire with that stuff, are probably under water.
    A couple of packs of disposable wooden utensils (knife/fork/spoon) also serve as a great fire starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom