• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I remember reading somewhere about prepping for “zombies.” They basically pointed out that if you are prepared for that, you would be covered for any realistic scenario. Just last winter, how many people were stuck on 95 in Virginia? Not necessarily a get home bag scenario, but are you prepared to be stuck in your car in the winter? That is a more likely scenario. But back to the beginning, if you are prepared to “get home” in any weather condition, you would be covered for that.

I would add a poncho liner or a lightweight fleece blanket for warmth. And some type of food. True, you can go days without, but it’s a morale booster if nothing else.

Amazon product ASIN B00LTN5VUG
    These pop up all the time in my Amazon feed, and they often drop down to $4.99 each.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I remember reading somewhere about prepping for “zombies.” They basically pointed out that if you are prepared for that, you would be covered for any realistic scenario. Just last winter, how many people were stuck on 95 in Virginia? Not necessarily a get home bag scenario, but are you prepared to be stuck in your car in the winter? That is a more likely scenario. But back to the beginning, if you are prepared to “get home” in any weather condition, you would be covered for that.

I would add a poncho liner or a lightweight fleece blanket for warmth. And some type of food. True, you can go days without, but it’s a morale booster if nothing else.

These pop up all the time in my Amazon feed, and they often drop down to $4.99 each.

I was stranded in a freak rush hour storm around 2013 or so. I was only 3 miles from home but I was wearing a light jacket, light clothes and non-waterproof shoes. I was running low on gas to so I left my car and walked home in the snow.

Now I’m prepared to camp in my car for at least 2 days if I had to or hike home.

b38dd0cd6d63873f3cdbb6a33a57d5fc.jpg

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

I bought one exactly like that at Home Depot and it's practically useless... the spigot I planned to use it on is the size of the smaller cross piece, and it fits loosely inside the larger one so it spins when you try to use it.

I suppose I need to put a tack weld on it or stake it with a chisel.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I was stranded in a freak rush hour storm around 2013 or so. I was only 3 miles from home but I was wearing a light jacket, light clothes and non-waterproof shoes. I was running low on gas to so I left my car and walked home in the snow.

Now I’m prepared to camp in my car for at least 2 days if I had to or hike home.

b38dd0cd6d63873f3cdbb6a33a57d5fc.jpg
    Sandpiper of California Backpack? Surely a PX special.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Got a new hammock for FD... old one had a big thick pad that is still in good shape, but the ropes are all breaking. Was thinking that I'm going to cut off the ropes and wood spacer bars and roll up the pad and keep in the back of my truck (cab covered) in case I ever need to overnight in the vehicle.... spread out in the bed, it is thick enough to make a good truck mattress. I've tried camping in the bed before and even with a sleeping bag, it was really rough... I think this will work perfectly.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County

How many people have ever gone 48 or 72 or 96 hours without eating anything?

It's a cool skill to know how you function without food for days. IMO it's pretty empowering. People might want to test it out sometime.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland

It's a cool skill to know how you function without food for days. IMO it's pretty empowering. People might want to test it out sometime.
    Haven't done more than 48 since having to make weight for wrestling. More than 36 I start to become more easily annoyed. A lot depends on having things to do. If idle, I find myself focusing more on the empty stomach growling.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    120+- several times. My personal experience was that day 1 was easy. Day 2 was the challenging one. The rest were easy. Tip: Don't watch TV. They know you are fasting and every other commercial is for food.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    My second dilemma is that this is starting to look like a kidnap kit. Lol
    Anyone ever have a problem getting searched and the cops being like, “...the hell is all this stuff?
    LOL.

This situation happened to me in college. I was living off of Security Blvd (not the best place but it's what I could afford back then) and used to cut through residential side roads to get to Red Robin in Owings Mills.

Well turns out this neighborhood attracted a string of home invasions / burglaries and had police on high alert in the area. Made sense because it was a nice little neighborhood surrounded entirely by Section 8 (but Section 8 doesn't ruin communities...right?)

Myself and a friend got pulled over with the classic "illegal hanging air freshener" line and were promptly asked to exit the vehicle and to consent to a search. (I know we could have declined lawfully, but we didn't know jack back then and felt it was in our best interest to cooperate)

To add to the complexity, both of our DL's had Silver Spring addresses since we were in college and just barely out of the parents houses. So in their minds, we weren't local to the area and had no proof of residence on us at the time.

Well low and behold, I kept a very well equipped prep bag in my car (I used to do a lot of long road trips) including a crow bar, small sledge hammer, full tool kit, first aid kit and a few knives and flashlights AND I had my ski stuff on me which included, yep, you guessed it... a face mask.

Thankfully we were allowed on our way after a pretty thorough search (including calling our parents), but we were on the side of Rolling Rd for a good hour with multiple units with us.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    This has been the most daunting thing to me for some reason. I have decided to simply replace the survivors handbook in the bag with the ham radio study guide.
    Great thread from the ArfCom Ham Radio Forum:
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoor..._learning_basic_VHF_UHF_operations/22-646491/

Also, check out clubs near you for licensing classes. The Arundel Radio Club in Davidsonville sets up classes (and exams) on a regular basis.

Also, look at the online practice tests. I'd much rather see you learn the theory and detail, but the practice tests are a very expedient way to learn the answers so you can get you license and actually START learning.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County

It might be empowering, but in this scenario, having some calories could be almost necessary. Especially in cold weather.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    My wife got me a little survival pack for Father's day. Came with a 1st aid kit and small things like ferro rod, knife, spork, fishing line, para cord, flashlight, mylar blanket...

I just laughed. I told her, "this was an amazing gift!"

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    It might be empowering, but in this scenario, having some calories could be almost necessary. Especially in cold weather.
    No doubt. Big difference when you're not doing much vs walking 30 miles to get home. Everyone is different of course but having some calories couldn't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom