• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    So, in a compromise on how to spend tax return money, my wife and I decided to get a canoe. We've been canoeing quite a bit before and really enjoy it, and so did my son, but we always have to rent one. It will be nice to be able to take it out on our own without time limits.

My question is...does anyone know any good public launches in the area that would be safe enough to take a 2 year old and a 6 month old out on the water? I know some good launches on the bay, but I won't be taking the kids and wife out on the bay in a 16 foot canoe, at least not right now.

Proline Fisher

Mar 16, 2013
    Severn
    Truxton Park would be nice, its in Annapolis on Spa creek. Not sure I would venture to far from the ramp with kids that small. Also check out the patuxent wildlife refuge, I think you can put a canoe in lake cash

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    I would hug the shore with ones so little, never know what could happen. I just started taking the boys to liberty and they are 7 and 10, and that canoe gets a rockin. Piney Run is also a good time.

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    We've done Centennial and Patuxent...in fact, my son was with us for Patuxent, it was a good setting for him. They are both good one's, I just didn't know if there were any I was missing.

My son actually fell in when we were at Patuxent, he was leaning over the edge, but I had him by the lifejacket so I was able to pull him back in the boat almost before he hit the water.

In fact, here's a picture right after...he was 13 months when this picture was taken.

Attachments

• 20130928_130408.jpg
      20130928_130408.jpg
      35.2 KB · Views: 303

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    I haven't been out on the water at Quiet Waters, but I enjoy the park...and Prettyboy is awesome. Took my wife down to the bottom of the dam before we had kids, forgot about that one as a good place to canoe, thanks!

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I haven't been out on the water at Quiet Waters, but I enjoy the park...and Prettyboy is awesome. Took my wife down to the bottom of the dam before we had kids, forgot about that one as a good place to canoe, thanks!

You will need a permit for Prettyboy.If you do get one,you can only use your boat in Prettyboy,Liberty and Loch Raven.You can thank your friendly zebra mussels for that rule

plumberone

Aug 26, 2013
    Millers, Maryland
    My .02 cents

I wouldn't take young children to Prettyboy, in a canoe. It's not to far from the ramp where the water is 70' deep.Deep water,cold water and no room for error.

StanW

Hooligan #8
    Dec 18, 2012
    Western MD
    Wye Island shouldn't be too far, although on the other side of the bridge. I got the wife started there in a kayak.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I don't know any in your area but the stretch of the Potomac between Harper's Ferry and point of rocks is a lot of fun. A fairly easy rapid at first and then mostly easy cruising from there on with plenty of great spots to stop and swim.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I second the recommendations for Quiet Waters, Truxton, Jug bay and other quiet areas of the Patuxent water trail. AA county has this website that shows their cartop launch sites.http://www.aacounty.org/RecParks/launch/index.cfm#.UxVS7qm3CK0

Blackwater NWR and Janes Island SP have good canoe/kayak trails marked. Assateague also has water trails but they expose one to large fetches of water and wind making for good size waves for a canoe.

For safety for little ones, I wait until the water and air temp combined are 140 degrees or warmer. Example: 65 degree water and 75 degree air temp. For adults only paddle trips, I lower that rule to 120 degrees without being fully equipped with cold weather gear.

I'm actually shopping now for another PFD to fit my boy for this summer. Gets me thinking of all the fun to come soon!

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I Assateague also has water trails but they expose one to large fetches of water and wind making for good size waves for a canoe.

The bay side of Assateague is easy canoeing. The water is calm and shallow if you stay near the islands. There is usually a stiff breeze but that is good because if you get into any of the sheltered marshy areas along shore the mosquitoes will eat you alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom