• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    It's called Virus reloading! First time in a long time, I casted boolits for 45 Colt and 357 Magnum. Got the old RCBS Lubrisizer up and running tonight and sized about 150+ boolits after heating up the machine. Now just switch over and size some for 357. I will have plenty of ammo, but when is the range gonna open. It is a lot of work, but fun to make your own ammo. Maybe I will get a new lever gun to shoot all this 45 Colt.

Anyone like to cast?

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I've loaded/reloaded for over 40 years now, but never cast my own boolits.

Several years ago, my wife's former manager asked me to come over to his house, for a visit.

When my wife and I got there, he asked me to go with him, to his garage.

He and one of his long-term friends used to load/reload together.
    His friend cast the boolits and sized them, and they loaded the boolits.

His friend had died, and he lost interest in loading.

He gave me (guessing here) at least 200+ lbs of cast boolits in different calibers/ boolit configurations.
    (The boolits filled a 'double' milk crate, and then some!)

I brought them home, and have them stored in the corner of my shed.

Hadn't thought about all that lead, until I saw your post.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Haven't tried casting yet but sounds like something I might like to try. Seems like it would take a long time to cast just a few bullets. Still probably very satisfying to be able to make your own.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Started loading back in 1974 and cant stop. I enjoy the hobby like nothing else and never tire of it. Within a year or 2 I started casting for 45ACP, 44, and 45 Colt and it has provided a lot of cheap practice. I have a 45 colt rifle and revolver but have only shot jacketed in the Winchester rifle. You've got me curious now so Ill have to try the cast bullets in the rifle when our house arrest is over.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    I am very interested in casting my own boolits. Just ordered a Lee melting pot the other day. I will need everything else to get started. I am sure I will be asking on here for some help. Any idea where I may be able to pick up some used gear to get started?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Huh .

A couple of Timonium shows ago picked up some interesting molds , and my cap & ball from my other thread has me fired up some more .

If I was having free time now , I'd probably split it between casting and dobro woodshed'ing . But alas , I'm still working .

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    These days I cast mainly 45 Colt for my Blackhawks and 357 Mag for my Marlin 1894 and S&W M66. Once the molds are heated up, it's easy to just pump out the bullets. The lube-sizing machine can be a trick. If it hasn't been used in a long time, put it in the oven at 400 degrees and let all the hardened bullet lube melt out of the machine. More recently I got a Lyman heater to put under the machine. It heats up the lube and makes it easier to run. I also reload for rifles, but don't cast for that. I just never have done gas checked bullets.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I cast about 300+ 45 Colt boolits using a Lyman mold for a Keith style bullet. Then I did about 400 .38/.357 using a RCBS mold. This weekend I loaded 50 rounds of 45 Colt using Accurate No. 5. I think I got about 350 rounds of 45 Colt on hand now, all reloads.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I am very interested in casting my own boolits. Just ordered a Lee melting pot the other day. I will need everything else to get started. I am sure I will be asking on here for some help. Any idea where I may be able to pick up some used gear to get started?

I learned how to cast during the last ammo crunch. I use the Lee pot, mostly Lee molds (I have the Lyman Devastator HP molds for 9mm, 38, and 45), and lead from eBay. I used to use scrap lead from wheel weights, but I've gotten lazy and order lead off eBay for around $1/pound. Aside from the molds, don't forget to get your bullet sizing dies and go 0.001" over bore for sizing (you'd want a .309" sizing die for a .308" rifle).

I made up around 500 bullets yesterday for my 38 and Makarov.

Do yourself a favor and get a toaster oven and some powder coat (I like Eastwood powder) so you can powder coat your bullets. Just bake the coated bullets at 400*F for 20 minutes and you're done. I like this a lot better than Liquid Alox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom