• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zeddm91/30

Oct 11, 2009
    Reliance MD
    what can i do to get better at shooting? I try to go out every weekend but its hard to do that because i have 1 show a weekend normally. any tips to improve faster?

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    We are all trying to improve. I was where you are not all that long ago and can only tell you what I did.

Read up! There are great tips all over the internet on stance, sight picture, grip, etc..

Talk to those who know. There are GREAT people to chat with at my range and they helped a lot. There are GREAT people on this board willing to offer the expertise and advice.

Try different things. There are many different stances, grip variations, etc.. Find what works for you. I coached baseball fo a long time and can tell you that there is seldom one answer....one school of thought....on any athletic endeavor. Experiment.

Dry fire drills. There is a good thread on this on the board right now. Be safe.

Shoot with a purpose. I am always working on something when I go to the range. Stance, one handed, weak handed, flash shooting/sighting, etc.. This not only focusses your limited practice time but helps with accuracy AND keeping interest.

Think about getting instruction. There are people who do professional instruction, some on this board. If you check around, you will probably find different philosophies and techniques. Find someone with whom you are comfortable.

Aim small, miss small. Don't aim for the bullseye, aim for the center of the bull. I recently found a range friend shooting at 1" stick on circles at 7 yards. And he was hitting. I quipped that he was just being arrogant....he's one of the best shots I have seen. He had me shooting those dots with about half his success rate in minutes. I was sure I would get nowhere near....ever! lol.

Those things have helped me a LOT over the past couple years, that;s why I offer them as advice. Others on this board will be by with real expertise :).

Splitter

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I'm still working on distance shooting. Fivepointstar helped me a great deal with very short distances a few weeks ago and it makes a great difference. My plan is to keep moving my targets out further each time...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The best way is to sign up for a class, learn, then practice what you learned. You can practice for years, and dump thousands in ammo before you figure out techniques that can be taught in a couple hours. There are a lot of drills you can read up on here and elsewhere that can prep you for a class, but make sure you keep an open mind when going in, a lot of folks develop bad habits, then stubbornly stick to them even when they learn better. As far as pratice, 10 parts dry fire, 5 parts informal range practice, and 1 part competition will get you on your way pretty quickly once you pick up on skills you need to work on.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    everyones suggestions are great so far but sometimes its not quantity time.....IT'S QUALITY TIME!!!

take advantage what what little time you have an make it QUALITY TIME. Shooting is a sport and I tell my kids when I coach them, when something goes wrong

1) Slow down
    2) go back to basics.

Perfect everything slow and it becomes muscle memory. One of my favorite sayings. "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and fast is good."

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    I think shooting skills is alot like golf. If you have no idea what you are doing wrong you have no idea how to fix it and the more you practice the things that are wrong the more you will ingrain the wrong things and the harder it will be to fix them.

I've shot longuns for most of my life but handguns I am really just getting into now and have alot of work to do. When I am with someone that is a good hangun shooter I will try and get a few tips/tricks from them and work on that 1 or 2 particular skills that I have picked up.

A session or 2 with a skilled shooter would go a long way IMHO on getting you into practicing the correct technique.

my 2 cents for what it worth.....

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    The best way is to sign up for a class, learn, then practice what you learned. You can practice for years, and dump thousands in ammo before you figure out techniques that can be taught in a couple hours. There are a lot of drills you can read up on here and elsewhere that can prep you for a class, but make sure you keep an open mind when going in, a lot of folks develop bad habits, then stubbornly stick to them even when they learn better. As far as pratice, 10 parts dry fire, 5 parts informal range practice, and 1 part competition will get you on your way pretty quickly once you pick up on skills you need to work on.

everyones suggestions are great so far but sometimes its not quantity time.....IT'S QUALITY TIME!!!

take advantage what what little time you have an make it QUALITY TIME. Shooting is a sport and I tell my kids when I coach them, when something goes wrong

1) Slow down
    2) go back to basics.

Perfect everything slow and it becomes muscle memory. One of my favorite sayings. "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and fast is good."

Great advice from these folks. +1000

kac

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    Here's the only thing I can tell you. I've shot for about 30 years. Any time I had real instruction by a pro, I improved as much as I did in one class as in maybe 5-10 years of unsupervised work by myself.

There is nothing like having an experienced instructor looking at your form and correcting you.

zeddm91/30

Oct 11, 2009
    Reliance MD
    Here's the only thing I can tell you. I've shot for about 30 years. Any time I had real instruction by a pro, I improved as much as I did in one class as in maybe 5-10 years of unsupervised work by myself.

There is nothing like having an experienced instructor looking at your form and correcting you.

were can i find an instructor?

t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    were can i find an instructor?

There are a few here - I can personally recommend "Parbreak" - Bryan Fletcher (Midatlantic Firearms under Industry Partners). Took rifle class from him few months ago and today took a pistol class. Both times were topnotch classes - he answered questions I had and was awesome at making the class be what I wanted from it. All in all, a great instructor!

kac

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    I believe 3rd Recon on this site is an instructor and does personal, one on one training. PM him.

I have gone to Tom Perroni at CCJI and think he's the cat's meow. Both Tactical Handgun I or Tactical Carbine would be great places for you to start. He challenges you, whatever level you are, without discouraging you.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Shooting lessons

I would say that something like 1% of my students continue with their training to the point of taking lessons. Those who do benefit greatly. I wish more people followed through with lessons.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've gotta echo both the quality time and lessons stuff. Shooting guns is just plain fun, and it's a little too tempting to get sloppy because of the sheer joy of pressing the bang switch.

Hell, I've got an example of quality time from just the other day... for a while now, I've been having some trouble mastering my 226's DAK trigger. It's my only DAO gun, and the trigger is super-long - totally unlike what I'm used to with my SAO and DA/SA (which I shoot SA 100% of the time) handguns.

So, when I went down to SEG the other day, I brought a hundred rounds of 9mm with me, and decided I was going to _think_ about what I was doing.

Once I finally did this, and took the time to really observe what was going on with my sights and trigger pull _simultaneously_, I improved tremendously within a couple magazines. Newbish as this is going to sound, concentrating more on keeping my sights aligned during the entire trigger pull than "being smooth" solved both my trigger jerking and my tendency to thumb the gun a bit.

Naturally, it wasn't perfect. But I was no longer surprised by fliers (and called them fairly reliably), and I was at least proficient at 10 yards (call it a 2" circle), which is OK for someone of my experience (not much) and skill set (not much, either).

So, one hour and $20 of ammo later, I had significantly improved. Not a bad investment.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Basics. Trigger control, sight alignmennt. One hand shooting really is a skill builder at trigger control.
    Good training can be a good thing, but make sure what you are trying to learn is what they are teaching.
    SOME people can learn from carefully following well written instruction, particularly the true basics.
    When you do have chance for live fire work on the skills you need to improve, rather than what you already do well , and have fun with.
    Dry fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom